Skyrim - Enderal, total conversion from the Nehrim team

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kostaz writes the Nehrim team is hard at work on a new total conversion - this time for Skyrim. There's no release date at this point, though presumably Enderal: The Shards of Order is still some way off. Check out the Skyrim Nexus page or the official site for details and screens:
Enderal - The Shards of Order is a total conversion mod currently in development for Bethesda Softwork's Skyrim. The story of Enderal is not set in the Elder Scrolls world of Tamriel, but takes place in its own universe, creating a new, interesting world completely unrelated to Skyrim. Enderal is being developed by volunteers from the dedicated modding community SureAI, best known for their acclaimed Oblivion total conversion Nehrim – At Fate's Edge that was awarded “Best Singleplayer Editor's Choice” by moddb.com and “Mod of the Year 2010” by PC Gamer. Enderal bases upon the Skyrim game engine and aspires to become a role playing game comparable to professional game industry products. The continent of Enderal is the stage for an extensive, completely new and epic adventure.
Enderal is not only the sequel to Nehrim, but also takes place in the very same universe, just a couple of years after the events of the Nehrim story line. It aims to continue the tradition of the intensive and complex storytelling introduced in Nehrim. This basically means: What we do here is fantasy for adults, it is dirty and immersive, and there are no fairies. Nehrim's storytelling had some flaws that we want to get rid of – there will be more player decisions and deeper characters. In addition, the skill system will differ a lot from the one in Skyrim. Enderal will feature the known XP based skill system from Nehrim, improved with certain aspects that will help players to specifiy their characters in a more detailed way, thus intensifying the connection between player and avatar. Long story short, Enderal will be a classic RPG with alternative storytelling features. Be excited!
More information.

This is excellent news. I really enjoyed my time with Nehrim over the summer just gone and will definitely check the sequel out. Thanks for posting.

I'm also done with Skyrim for now, with only the mage archetype quests to go, so this certainly gives a further reason to look forward to returning to the world.

Good news indeed!

Nehrim was bugy and unstable but good game that was more similar to gothic than elder scrolls series.I hope they do English voice acting for this game.I don't mind German with English subs like in Nehrim game I just prefer full English VO.

Nehrim had me enthralled from the first few minutes to the last.

Nehrim was bugy and unstable but good game that was more similar to gothic than elder scrolls series.
It had its bugs yeah, but Oblivion is still a buggy and poorly performing heap of junk after all this time.

As for voiceover - I would like to see some narration and cutscenes voiced, but in-game only greetings, chit chat and "I used to be an adventurer..." rambling. A wide variety of voices rather than re-use and some characters left voiceless. They are voice actors because they can do great things with their voices, yes? :)

EXCELLENT !!! Imagine what these guys could do with a boat load of money.

I'm impressed. They try it again ? Well, good luck, then ! :)

Yes! Wait! Noooooo! I can't bring myself to advance beyond level 10 in Skyrim, I keep restarting my characters. How am I supposed to play a total conversion now?

I mostly enjoyed Nehrim - although I ran out of steam at some point. I thought some of their design was brilliant (that gloomy 'spider' forest) but they were limited by the clunky engine. I also liked the alternate character system. The one thing that wasn't that great was the heavy re-use of Oblivion assets, although I understand that they couldn't really do large-scale remodelling. Once I was away from towns etc it felt like I was playing Oblivion - I'm curious to see whether they plan to add much new modelled content this time around.

EDIT: Ok, I looked at the pics - the do seem quite distinctive and non-Skyrim like, which is encouraging (for landsdcapes at least)

EDIT: Ok, I looked at the pics - the do seem quite distinctive and non-Skyrim like, which is encouraging (for landsdcapes at least)

If you want non-Skyrim-like while playing Skyrim, I suggest Moonpath to Elseweyr.

It's also a good example of what could be done for Enderal, the engine seems a lot more flexible and the combat is better than Oblivion.

I enjoyed the level design of Nehrim immensely. The storyline was extremely dull though and I wanted to kill the character that you're supposed to support. I would have much rather supported his enemies and I didn't have that choice.

I thought the consensus was that Skyrim had the same albeit much improved engine despite what Bethesda claimed.
I've yet to play Skyrim but I was surprised with how quicker a total conversion for it popped up while Nehrim appeared many years after Oblivion. Did the mod scene develop faster due to Skyrim's popularity?

I thought the consensus was that Skyrim had the same albeit much improved engine despite what Bethesda claimed.

An game engines is composed of a lot of parts, some coded in-house others from 3rd parties. Gamebryo and Speedtree are two 3rd parties that they removed and replaced with in-house code. They added Havoc Animations to the engine as well. Also, in Software Development, anything new is (usually) improved over legacy code.

I've yet to play Skyrim but I was surprised with how quicker a total conversion for it popped up while Nehrim appeared many years after Oblivion. Did the mod scene develop faster due to Skyrim's popularity?

Skyrim mod scene didn't develop faster because of popularity. The difference is that fanmade tools were available before the CK was (SKSE, Mopy, BOSS, etc) and that art assets can be ported from Oblivion easily. This mean that modders had an headstart.

Enderal isn't the 1st TC announced for the game either. There is currently at least 5 TC projects for Skyrim, 3 of which are teams porting their unfinished Oblivion TC (MERP, Andoran, Mesogea) and 2 new ones that I know of (Balzu and Enderal). There is probably others as well (I know there is a Game Of Throne pseudo-TC team).

If you want non-Skyrim-like while playing Skyrim, I suggest Moonpath to Elseweyr.

It's also a good example of what could be done for Enderal, the engine seems a lot more flexible and the combat is better than Oblivion.

I saw that when browsing mods - do you have to play as a Khajit? It looked quite intriguing. I haven't actually tried any Skyrim mods yet.

Not even SkyUI?If so that makes you first person I heard of playing skyrim on PC without SkyUI.

second. I was looking at it the other day though -is it compatible with the latest patch?

I don't know I haven't played skyrim for some time(I am waiting for dawnguard for another playthrough) but in my expirience so far even if skyui is incompatible with some patch it's fixed in few days so it's probably compatible by now.Also try categorized favorites menu UI mod.

Not even SkyUI?If so that makes you first person I heard of playing skyrim on PC without SkyUI.

Yay! I'm unique...!

Wait...Damn... GBG - you stole my thunder, I'm no longer special ;-)

My biggest beef with UI is broken dual wielding/hot-keying of spells. Does the mod fix that?

i played my first and only 300 hour playthrough mod free. i probably won't play skyrim again until all expansions are released at which point i will try out some mods. i never played through oblivion more than once and never used a mod. both fallout games i did you a handful of mods, though after playing through the base games and dlcs at least once.

i prefer content/story mods anyhow to ui/mechanics/graphics mods which i almost never use.

Back
Top Bottom