Torment: Tides of Numenera - Interview at Dagon's Lair

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
There's a short interview on InXile's sequel to PST at Dagon's Lair.
Colin McComb is the creative lead, with his experience in world-building and fiction writing as the cornerstone of the story and thematic elements. He worked on both developing the Planescape setting and as a designer on Planescape: Torment. Torment’s project director is Kevin Saunders, who was the lead designer and producer for Mask of the Betrayer, which some of the hardcore RPG fans feel was the game closest to PS:T yet. We have several great concept artists involved, including Nils Hamm, Andree Wallin, Chang Yuan, and Dana Knutson, who was the primary concept artist of the Planescape setting. Mark Morgan is creating the game’s soundtrack – he’s already created a piece for Torment and completely nailed it. A lot of great talent is involved.
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been googling the work of the artists they have listed. Interesting stuff… nice, but pretty exotic. More cthulhu-esque(?) than classic fantasy.

just about the news itself...

Dagon, is not a Dragon, as RPGWatch is not PGWatch ;-)

Ah, the article is on Dagon's and not Dragon's lair... How on earth did you notice the extra letter in the title... Nick... Um... Well...

Edited the name.

Bah, sorry, I don't know how I misread that.

‘We’re envisioning Torment as a thematic franchise with certain themes that can expand over different settings and stories. We will focus on the same things that made people appreciate Planescape: Torment so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story.’

Pretty much the same thing but a little more wordy.

Um no. Not once did I read the word "sequel" in that little blurb. It's a spiritual and thematic successor, not a sequel. There's a difference. Wishful thinking on the count of overly enthuasiastic websites and fans doesn't make it so.
Thus, let's try to be critical and aware of that fact please. :)

It really isn't a sequel, woges. inXile has never called it a sequel and never will because they're not going to false claim it is an actual, direct sequel. Thematic or spiritual successor or whatever, sure, but sequel just implies something it's not. Press may occasionally refer to it that way but that's just inaccurate shorthand, it really is better not to. Way inXile prefers it, if nothing else.

Worthy names to have on board for any game. Myself, I'm awaiting the inclusion of Zeb Cook - come on Fargo, you can do it!

Um no. Not once did I read the word "sequel" in that little blurb. It's a spiritual and thematic successor, not a sequel. There's a difference. Wishful thinking on the count of overly enthuasiastic websites and fans doesn't make it so.
Thus, let's try to be critical and aware of that fact please. :)

If Fall Out 3 was a sequel anything is possible.

Brother None,

I know what you mean (i.e not a full blown sequel) but spiritual successor is also called a spiritual sequel.

If InXile don't want it seen that way they should stop mentioning PST in interviews and hiring Planescape people to work on the game, oh, and calling it Torment.

A spiritual successor is a 'sequel of sorts' or subcategory of sequel so they are not wrong just less precise in terms of definition. There is no wrong in calling it either unless it's for legal terms.

"I know what you mean (i.e not a full blown sequel) but spiritual successor is also called a spiritual sequel."

100%

Furthermore, since when do sequels have to be related in terms of narrative? Look at, say, the Final Fantasy games. None of the mainline games are connected at all. In video games, a sequel often refers to a continuation of gaming mechanics/style/approach rather than a narrative sequel. I'm not sure why this couldn't apply here. It's true that I can't think of any notable exceptions in Western-style PC RPGs, but it still happens, even in narrative-heavy Eastern-style console RPGs.

I'm one of the few who isn't a fan of torment or mask of the betrayer. I will still check it out when it gets further along but i'm guessing this won't be something that would interest me.

Back
Top Bottom