I bloody love the brits!

I cannot belive I left Blackadder off my list. I love Blackadder.
The Brits definitely know how to make great TV shows, especially comedy.
Do like the The Young Ones, To The Manor Born I liked, Vicar of Dibley is funny. Of course there are also the shows like Are You Being Served?, Man About the House and Some Mothers Do Ave Em that are funny no matter how many times you see the same episode.

Blackadder is great stuff ... and my wife and I were reveling in Fawlty Towers last night ... been too long.

Fawlty Towers is absolutely the top of the tree. It's the only tv video compilation my household owns. :)

If you liked Yes Minister you would probably like House of Cards, if I remember correctly it's pretty dark. Comedy you miss out The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin also.

Just got this wonderful site from a friend whose spouse is British--for all who have ever wondered just what a digestive biscuit is: British Food

Nearly all of those are available here!!

Our Cadbury Chocolate is imported from the UK and contains no wax.
Wait, what? Someone's putting wax in chocolate?

Also, I object to Marmite and Vegemite being in the same category, let alone right next to each other. Marmite is lovely. Vegemite is some sort of biological weapon.

Wow, the website makes it sound like no-one's ever heard of mince pies. That can't be true. Without mince pies, what would you leave out for Father Christmas? :)

It's fascinating to see what some take for granted is unheard of in ostensibly similar places.

We do have mince pies--large ones baked mostly during the holidays. Little pies like the ones illustrated there are also around in a fast food way, but limited to more bland flavors like apple at convenience stores.
It's fascinating to see what some take for granted is unheard of in ostensibly similar places.
I've been a big British murder mystery reader since my young years, and I always visualized the ritual of afternoon tea as the height of civilization. I was very surprised to see that "biscuits" were cookies much like our graham crackers. They sound much more 'formal', somehow :)

I object to Marmite and Vegemite being in the same category, let alone right next to each other. Marmite is lovely. Vegemite is some sort of biological weapon.
No. Marmite has not flavour. I LOVE Vegemite. Even my cat loves Vegemite. You cannot leave toast with Vegemite anywhere. Put a plate down for two seconds and my girl is up on the table (bad girl) licking the Vegemite off the toast. Vegemite is even good on a teaspoon and just lick it off, lke peanut butter. Don't knock Vegemite, one of the best foods EVER!

Wow, the website makes it sound like no-one's ever heard of mince pies. That can't be true. Without mince pies, what would you leave out for Father Christmas? :)
I got that too... bizarre. I don't like mince pies but I still have one at Christmas just for tradition.
When I was little I used to leave out a container of water and some carrots (for the reindeer) and a stubby of beer and chocolate biscuits for Santa. I think that's the more traditional Australian Santa welcome.

Magerette, I know what you mean. Sometimes you have visions and ideals and they are just shattered. I used to always think a bubble bath and glass of champagne sounded great. Then you get in the bath, drink and two seconds later you are bored and have nothing else to do- can't read a book or surf the internet on the lap top, so you send couple of minutes in the bath, are less relaxed and then get out.

Last edited:
Vegemite looks like crushed ants!! I much prefer crumpets with Ice-cream!! :)

No, crumpets with vegemite and cheese melted into the little holes. Yummmmmmm!

Kayla wrote:
Magerette, I know what you mean. Sometimes you have visions and ideals and they are just shattered. I used to always think a bubble bath and glass of champagne sounded great. Then you get in the bath, drink and two seconds later you are bored and have nothing else to do- can't read a book or surf the internet on the lap top, so you send couple of minutes in the bath, are less relaxed and then get out.

Don't torture me with the bubblebath images-:bigcry:-I haven't been able to wallow in such decadence since I gave up my old claw-footed tub from days of yore. In the new house, I have a pseudo-glass shower enclosure with something the approximate depth of a coaster that pretends to be a bathtub. I can barely soak my ankles in it...:brood:

I never got bored in the tub, but that was before my internet/gaming addiction issues, so perhaps now I would be...still, I dream of one of those seething marble spa-type tubs where you are immersed to your chin and you can invite several dolphins along.
And to get this back on topic, I bet that's all they have in Britain--huge tubs with cast iron feet holding tons of water. None of this sleazy American molded plastic. :)

I'm having a large 6 person therapeutic outdoor spa installed soon, does that count? :)

Magerette- I would gladly give you my bath... but it's sort of attached.... and it's a rental property.

You could always get a little wading pool and set it up in front of the TV..... sorry, that was just mean. I will hit myself for you.

Corwin--you wouldn't be gloating, or anything, would you?:evil:
And Kayla, thanks for slapping yourself. I am still working on my long-suffering spouse to provide my little luxury, but so far the tiny hints I've dropped ("Look--see that one--that's what I want. --yes, the one with fifteen jets and the lear jet motor on the pump...") have fallen on stony ground. :raincloud: (Possibly because of the minor inconvenience of remodeling the whole bathroom and removing the odd wall to fit one in? Still, it would be cheaper than flying over to Corwin's backyard for "therapy" :) )

Yeah, but my backyard would be much more fun; new country and all that, plus the great weather. You could drop in on Kayla as well, she;s only an inch down the map!! :)

Back
Top Bottom