Fallout 3 - Preferred by Jihadists Everywhere

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.
US-based monitoring group SITE says Al-Qaeda will post a new video in the next 24 hours urging the use of nuclear and other weapons to attack the West. SITE also released a "computer generated image" showing the potential destruction, reportedly found on an Islamic forum...

0,,6065018,00.jpg

If you don't recognise the image, have a look at the concept art gallery for a certain game from Bethsoft...
Thanks, Ausir!
More information.

WTF ??? O_O

(And this is the very first time I use this expression !!!)

Somehow this reminds me of the hollabaloo over some console (the PS3?) facing export restrictions due to it's advanced hardware, which was great marketing for the box in question...

Wonder whether bin laden would preorder or pirate the game when it's released...

Isn't one of the main of terrorist groups to cause fear and uncertainity? And IF any of the terror groups which associate themselfs Al-Qaeda did poses any sort of suitable WMDs why haven't they attempted to use them already? It makes me laugh when, for the n-th time, I hear "We were just kidding around before but we are serious now!" announcements!

Here's a link to another story with this image--the author is totally clueless this is from FO3:
The same expertise seems to have gone into creating this image of a devastated Washington.
Al Qaeda's Terrifying Vision

Beginning of another story of Al Qaeda's technical prowess?

Last edited:
The SITE claimed themselves as a "leading provider of intelligence and analysis to governments, organizations, and institutions across the world";

SITE Rejects Telegraph's Inaccurate Claims

On May 30, 2008, the Telegraph newspaper ran a misleading story, "SITE red-faced as Islamist 'Washington ruin' image turns out to be from Fallout 3 game," which incorrectly and falsely described analysis provided by the SITE Intelligence Group.

Discussing a computer-generated image of a destroyed Capitol Building in Washington that was posted to a jihadist forum, the Telegraph claimed, without any basis, "The SITE Intelligence Group said that the image, showing a ruined Capitol Building in Washington, was created by extremists as part of discussions about the feasibility of nuclear strikes against the US and Britain."

This claim is entirely false, as is the characterization that SITE is "embarrassed" or "red-faced."

SITE rejects the claims by the Telegraph and stands fully behind the accuracy of its information and analysis. SITE at no time maintained that the image "was created by extremists."

SITE reported to its subscribers that extremists posted the image to a password-protected forum affiliated with al-Qaeda. This is entirely accurate. Moreover, this information was part of a report describing the general atmosphere in this forum with regard to extremists' discussions on weapons of mass destruction, making its context all the more important. This report in its entirety is also completely accurate.

The Telegraph is not a subscriber to SITE's services. Apparently, the newspaper made these erroneous claims without actually reading SITE's original report, and the basis of their information for their incorrect article is unknown to us.

The SITE Intelligence Group, a leading provider of intelligence and analysis to governments, organizations, and institutions across the world, has contacted the Telegraph to correct their factually inaccurate and misleading article.
Linky

This appears to be the Telegraph's original article on it.

You can see that its very short.

You can read some commentators from Kotaku seem to think that Telgraph got this information by hacking into SITE's password protected website but the Telegraph reports their's is second hand information that SITE obtained from al-Ekhlass and al-Hesbah websites.

Next we should be hearing about Bioshock and the deadly rootkit it installs...

additionally Telegraph has taken down its "red faced" report which was here.

archive.org is down right now or I'd try to find the link there. it was likely up and down too soon for archive to grab it anyway.

I just wonder why something could be called SITE anyway.

What kind of SITE actually is it ? A beach SITE ? A web SITE ? An U.N.C.L.E. SITE ?

-hmmm-

I don't see any difference (in or at least) a very small difference in the image being created by [islamic] extremists or to be uploaded by [islamic] extremist. Neither the
[islamic] extremists nor SITE apparently recognized that the image actually were concept art from a game called Fallout 3...

Of course, not having been to the islamic extremist forum (since I'm obviusly not one of them) I can't know if the extremist on this forum accredited Bethesda or the artist behind it. If they did not do so, this could be a copyright violation or some sort, me thinks. Or maybe the just were discussing the Fallout 3 game - but somehow I don't think so...

As for finding the article that is now gone the Telegraph's site - have you tried using google's cache function ?

If you think the planted stories and fear mongering are bad in America now, just give us another year or two. We'll be a mockery of ourselves just like any totalitarian society, but you'll have to laugh for us because we'll be too busy picking our words carefully.

I'd like to see what SITE actually said. Does anybody know about the Telegraph and their qulaity as a newspaper? One their links is to a previously unknown tribe in the Amazon rain forest, which every anthropologist will tell you is a bald faced lie.

When I was in the London the newspapers there were atrocious. If they weren't handing them out to you after leaving the tube then the newstands were giving you a free pint with every purchase of the most provocative headlines you've ever seen. AT least in the US and Canada we separate the tabloids from real newspapers.

Now excuse me while I check google for the latest word on Sharon Stone and the earthquake in China...

OMFG this is insane! By far RPGDot's and RPGWatch's news that astonished me the most since both sites ever existed !

For once I wished this was Pete Hine's new PR **** to make people talk about his game lol ;-) But even him isn't idiot enough to make up such things :p

I'd like to see what SITE actually said. Does anybody know about the Telegraph and their qulaity as a newspaper? One their links is to a previously unknown tribe in the Amazon rain forest, which every anthropologist will tell you is a bald faced lie..

The Telegraph (Torygraph to some:p) is AFAIK a moderate quality newspaper mostly knows for putting a negative spin on any EU-related news. It's not nearly as bad as the tabloids (which truly are gutter press and probably are the newspapers you refer to). Unlike the tabloids it usually has legit stories even if there might be a spin to the headlines chosen.

The Amazonian tribe is in newspapers of varying quality all over the world in the last few days (though reported as known of but not seen or contacted rather than unknown), so that story isnt enough to invalidate the Torygraph...

Isn't one of the main of terrorist groups to cause fear and uncertainity? And IF any of the terror groups which associate themselfs Al-Qaeda did poses any sort of suitable WMDs why haven't they attempted to use them already? It makes me laugh when, for the n-th time, I hear "We were just kidding around before but we are serious now!" announcements!

AQ has stated that they would like to use various forms of WMD's. It's a good thing that it seems so far they haven't been able to get their hands on them. It's like that line in The Peacemaker: "I'm not afraid of the man that wants 10 nuclear weapons, I'm terrified of the man that wants just one."

The UK has one of the most compeditative newspaper markets in the world and the Telegraph sits somewhere in the middle of that, its hardly a bastion of fine journalism but its not a tabloid either.

ok, thanks.

it seems clear to me then that we're not getting the total story hear and that Telegraph probably jumped the gun, not unlike a number of news sites. funny that if they're conservative that they'd run a story that would feed America bashing then, but you gotta do whatever sells papers sometimes.

they've since taken down the story (SITE certainly didn't say they were red faced) but I haven't seen an actual retraction.

I can't find SITE yet on Google and I doubt the general public can get easy access to their websites to get to the source anyway.

it seems clear to me then that we're not getting the total story hear and that Telegraph probably jumped the gun, not unlike a number of news sites. funny that if they're conservative that they'd run a story that would feed America bashing then, but you gotta do whatever sells papers sometimes.

I doubt they even thought about America-bashing consequences. It rather seems like the "evil terrorists threaten our way of life" angle to me.

V7: That's precisely the impression I got. Not a very good newspaper but not quite as tendentious as the Daily Mail either. And does it have scantily clad girls on page 2?

Back
Top Bottom