Heroine's Quest: A Quick Look at a Quest For Glory-inspired RPG

Aubrielle

Noveliste
We all remember Quest For Glory. We remember the Adventurer's Guild, the logbook, the cozy town of Spielburg, and a wilderness full of dangerous single screens in beautiful VGA.

Step into the shoes of the Heroine, and into the world of Norse mythology, in this lovely little Quest For Glory clone. The world is buried in Fimbulwinter, and a mysterious blonde heroine appears out of an avalanche outside the city. Once the game starts, all the little things you didn't know you missed start to appear - an adventurer's guild, that logbook, strange animals mounted on the walls, a hand painted city for you to explore, and offbeat humor around every corner, including spot-on, well-placed Monty Python references. (Please. Do yourself a favor, and examine the moose head inside the adventurer's guild. Especially if you're a Monty Python and the Holy Grail fan, which means everyone.)

You'll find the interface familiar from your time with QFG…right click to circle through look, touch/grab, and talk. The gorgeous, hand-painted scenes and characters also feel quite cozy. It's Norse-themed, of course, but not in a brutish, testosterone-y kind of way. The Norse theme feels less pretentious - and more immersive - than many Viking-fad titles you've seen recently, as if you're stepping into the sagas themselves. The city you start in is called Forsingtuna, and its narrow, winding streets remind you of Val Alorn from the Belgariad, with their rough northern cheer. And of course, you start the game in the unenviable position of being nearly starved. Whoever nursed you back to health didn't feel like feeding you, apparently, so off you go to find something to eat.

I didn't make it far enough in the game to experience real combat, or the interesting potion-crafting system, so I'll be logging more hours on this one. But if you're like me and you're looking for an ice-cold adventure to freeze your bones as you slog through snow drifts on your way to glory, sit down with this one. Hopefully, it might replace some of the snow we *haven't* had this year.

And as a Quest For Glory-inspired title, it hits the mark very well.

It can be downloaded absolutely free from here, or from the studio's website.

Thanks so much, Crystal Shard!

Attachments

• heroinesquest2.png
    heroinesquest2.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 97
Thank you, Aubrielle for your first impressions - I'll definitely play this game.

going to try it when I get home, but one thing I liked from Hero's Quest is that you could play 3 classes (fighter, thief and mage) and most puzzles could be solved in different ways depending on your class. There were even locations only accessible to the appropriate class, so you could play three times for three different experiences. Is that the case here or is there only one class?

Wow. Anybody who mentions the Belgariad gets bonus attention from me. Kudos! :) Now I'll probably have to reread the series. Let's see. Pawn of Prophecy is first, I think. My wife might like this game. I'll ask her. She enjoyed King's Quest.

going to try it when I get home, but one thing I liked from Hero's Quest is that you could play 3 classes (fighter, thief and mage) and most puzzles could be solved in different ways depending on your class. There were even locations only accessible to the appropriate class, so you could play three times for three different experiences. Is that the case here or is there only one class?

Same 3 classes. Just spent about an hour playing through the beginning area, and I must say, I'm quite impressed.

Thanks so much, you guys, both for reading and your interest! :)

And hey, the Belgariad is one of those fantasy series everyone needs in their collections. ^.^ Pawn of Prophecy does start it, yes, though between you and me, I kinda wish Eddings had written those early books with the same easy confidence he showed in his later works. But that's just me!

Thanks so much, you guys, both for reading and your interest! :)

And hey, the Belgariad is one of those fantasy series everyone needs in their collections. ^.^ Pawn of Prophecy does start it, yes, though between you and me, I kinda wish Eddings had written those early books with the same easy confidence he showed in his later works. But that's just me!

I have have every book he wrote in hardcover. It cost me allot but was worth it. I think it's time to read them all from the beginning again. I do agree with you about his latter work being better.

Also thanks for the impression.:thumbsup:

I like David's older works better, some of the newer stuff seems to parrot the old stuff too much. It's like the same exact story/character types just set in a different realm. I haven't read anything of his in quite a while though. The Redemption of Athalus was the last book of Eddings that I've read.

Pixellated adventure+rpg games seem to be making a comeback these days. Heroine's Quest, Crawl, Heroine Dusk, Curious Expedition... They look great. Bring on the pixels! :eek:)

couldn't they at least have done 640x480 ? I mean I don't mind I am still playing it but....

Can't believe I missed checking out this one!
I've heard the name dropped and made the obvious connection to the old series but completely forgot to go see what it is...

Will definitely fix that. :)

P.S. Good review from the Dex. You had me at Poetic Eddas ;)
(Could have done without the 4-th wall breaking though but I will not go in, when I manage to get around to it, having unreasonable huge expectations or anything :) )

Back
Top Bottom