Legends of Eisenwald - Kickstarter Campaign

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Aterdux Entertainment sent in the press release below, announcing a Kickstarter campaign for Legends of Eisenwald. The presser references King's Bounty, Mount & Blade and Disciples II and it appears they have completed a substantial part of the development. Interestingly, the Kickstarter page says the project is based in Belarus, which I thought Kickstarter didn't allow.
Aterdux Entertainment: Legends of Eisenwald
Independent game studio «Aterdux Entertainment» announced its new project Legends of Eisenwald – a role playing game with elements of strategy and turn based tactical battles.
The game can be described as Knight Errant simulator. A hero travels on a global map, conquers castles, receives tribute from villages and gather troops for his or her army. Main focus of the game is not on the economy but on battles and adventures. Fans of King’s Bounty and Mount-n-Blade will understand well what it is about.
As for battles, creators of the game decided to solve what they perceive to be the main problem of turn based battles: lack of dynamics and slowness. For that reason they discarded “empty” movements without strikes. As a result, a player faces a choice whom to attacks at every move. According to developers, it makes a battle intense from beginning to end since a battle outcome can depend on one strike. Those who played Disciples 2 remember similar battles.
Despite the knightly romanticism and presence of magic the world of Eisenwald is not a fantasy but alternate Middle Ages. There is a place for adventures and heroic deeds but there are no arrogant elves or stupid orcs, no ancient gods or other fantasy clichés. Heroes of Legends of Eisenwald are not saving the world and are not participating in the wars between gods. Rather, they are directed by human motivations: by a desire to find glory (and wealth), by blood feud, revenge and even by unrequited love.
Right now developers have an alpha version of the game. Following an example of many independent studios Aterdux Entertainment addressed their future players through a popular in recent months Kickstarter with a rather original presentation video. Release of the game is planned for the autumn of this year.
http://www.aterdux.com company site
http://kck.st/JWdHEH Kickstarter
http://www.facebook.com/groups/aterdux/
More information.

Last edited:
That looks remarkably good - even in comparison to its big-money cousins. It's got me interested. Amazing a small team has been able to put that much together so far and have it look relatively impressive compared to other recent big-publisher titles; glad the small team from Belarus was able to get it up on Kickstarter.

Fans of Kings Bounty or Mount & Blade??? I love both those games, but I can't really say they got much in common in regards to battles…

On the other hand, if they mean in the context that it's the player army and not the cities that matter it makes some kind of sense…

I'm sort-of interested. No magic is a con for me, I like magic in my games! And them comparing battle to Disciples 2 is NOT a good thing... still, turn based/strategy hmm...

the Kickstarter page says the project is based in Belarus, which I thought Kickstarter didn't allow.

Dhurin - they have quite a few Kicksarter projects based outside the US. Kickstarter has no problem with that - as long as they can meet the requirements (by either having one US resident team member or a US resident hired representative such as an accountant or lawyer do the actual signing up and provide a US bank account). A huge obstacle to be sure, but not always an insurmountable one.

The first Kickstarter project you yourself backed, FTL, is based in Shanghai.

It might have been a good idea for this team to highlight the fact they are the same devs behind Discord Times. The fact they have finished a game before (and one I've played) goes a long way for me when deciding whether or not to donate.

I know they have Discord Times as a free gift for 15 dollar backers, but still would like to have read about the team first and then the game. Who the team, imo, is more important information than what they're planning to make (or are making already). Unless they have a demo like FTL had.

It might have been a good idea for this team to highlight the fact they are the same devs behind Discord Times. The fact they have finished a game before (and one I've played) goes a long way for me when deciding whether or not to donate.

I know they have Discord Times as a free gift for 15 dollar backers, but still would like to have read about the team first and then the game. Who the team, imo, is more important than the actual game, unless they have a demo like FTL had.

Sigh, well that does it then. I'll be going on a diet this week too.

Sigh, well that does it then. I'll be going on a diet this week too.

I won't need to diet, but still autopledged. All they needed to say was "From the devs of Discord Times" and that would have been enough for me. Good game, not great, but good and this one looks like it's ten times better than that one.

I won't need to diet, but still autopledged. All they needed to say was "From the devs of Discord Times" and that would have been enough for me. Good game, not great, but good and this one looks like it's ten times better than that one.

Yeah it was good enough to demonstrate technical competence (I viewed it as a rough first effort rather than a resume item to point to though) and give me confidence that this will be pretty nice if they get any kind of budget to expand and polish it (or I guess to belorussian it - cringe at my pun.)

Last edited:
Ugh; I'm kickstarted out but this looks pretty neat. One problem is that what reviews I could find of Discord Times aren't really complimentary.

My curiosity is piqued!

I rather liked their little pitch video, too.

I'll have to send these folks a few coins.

Hmm not sure about this, I did love King's bounty, but…

Daniel.

Turn based tactical battles where we managed to get rid of the main enemy of turn based battles – boredom.

That is just odd.

Are they catering to a TB audience that think TB is boring?

Or are they catering to an RT audience, trying to convince them that they'll like their new take on TB?

It sounds a bit phony to me. The way I read it is "We heard there was a TB niche. We don't like it, but we made one anyway and made it fun despite TB".

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today though.

I watched the video and it made my mind up, it was really good, and I like what I see of the game, so I backed it. Hope it makes it's target. :)

Daniel.

Watching the video... great idea, that put me in a better mood. It really does look impressive for such a small team.

Also the music composer adds to the... er... immersion :D

Watching the video… great idea, that put me in a better mood. It really does look impressive for such a small team.

Also the music composer adds to the… er… immersion :D

Yeah I was skeptical reading just the description - I think some of the larger design concepts might be harder to get across in text (be it a translation issue or just hard to describe). The video though - definitely impressed me considering the small team. Codex took notice of them too and posted and interview here:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8126

It references their past game - mostly describing how they've learned from some of their mistakes and the processes involved with making the game. They also state they plan to use the money to finish content for the game (items, battle arena, effects and sound), improve UI and programming elements, and pay for translation. Sounds like they do have a good handle on what they have left to do and are aiming at a release around October.

The alpha build looks pretty great given the resources they've had to work with (even compared to recent titles like Heroes VI):

RTEOc.jpg

They do still plan to add more advanced modern shader options and significantly improve the water effects.

The official update on their kickstarter adds some concept art (and demonstrates some other art by the same artist NOT to be confused with things going into the game!) Additionally they have a sample audio sketch (rough midi) of one possible song and a completed song from the soundtrack.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald/posts

Last edited:
I had dismissed this but Stoic sent me an email saying this game was going to be cool, so I checked it out and pledged :)

Hello everyone, thank you for covering us on your cool site. We are grateful to Stoic too :) wolfing and everyone, thank you for your support. Once you see our combat video many things will become more clear. The only thing we are worried about is my English accent :) Damn, I wish we had someone local here who speaks English as a native speaker…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom