What games are you playing now?

While we are on the topic of Deus Ex, I find that game to be quite overrated. Good, yes, but it is often given credit for things that it did not even do. Take the whole multiple path/multiple ending thing that people sometimes bring up. Yes, the game did have multiple endings, but what dictated what ending you got was one decisions on the very last level. As far as I can tell, you could get all different endings no matter what you actually did during the game (well one ending was hard to get to unless you had invested points in either regeneration or hazard suit use)

I don't think too many people give Deus Ex praise for multiple paths in terms of story, but in terms of gameplay. The freedom of choice element existed as a gameplay-driven experience, meaning that a player could choose how they wanted to accomplish each objective within the rather large, non-linear, and open levels. For this, Deus Ex deserves every ounce of praise, as it is very rare for a game to allow such a large amount of player freedom and flexibility in deciding how they want to accomplish an objective, rather than having the style of play dictated for them by the game itself. By giving the player such creative freedom and the ability to dictate or change their own approach to playing the game at any given time, the original Deus Ex has still not been topped in my opinion.

While HR gives you about the same degree of freedom to meet objectives as the original, it doesn't force you to make choices in selecting skills/augs (by the end you can get almost all augs). Also, it doesn't encourage you to take only one path in a level, but rather to explore and take all paths, not only because of loot and story notes, but because you get more XP by doing so. Also, it gives you more experience if you take stealthy approach, and less if you as a straight up shooter. I like a game that encourages exploration, but it makes HR game have less replay value.

Maybe because some people actually thought it was a good game? ;) Is it being an apologist to simply have a different opinion from the established consensus? I got a lot more enjoyment out of IW than Bioshock, that's for sure. To me, I think the failings of IW are grossly exaggerated as a result of people being stuck on the fact that it wasn't as good as the original, and of course the (understandable ;)) PC bias that comes from a former exclusive going multi-platform. But from my perspective, IW is far from a terrible game when judged by its own merits - something that is almost impossible to most people because of the "Deus Ex" in the title and the expectations that go along with it.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also know a guy who thought Dungeon Lords was good. :)

While we are on the topic of Deus Ex, I find that game to be quite overrated. Good, yes, but it is often given credit for things that it did not even do. Take the whole multiple path/multiple ending thing that people sometimes bring up. Yes, the game did have multiple endings, but what dictated what ending you got was one decisions on the very last level. As far as I can tell, you could get all different endings no matter what you actually did during the game (well one ending was hard to get to unless you had invested points in either regeneration or hazard suit use)

DX was great for more than one reason, but I don't know anyone who would claim it was great because it had multiple endings.

Yeah, I thought about that. I understand that the Pandora Directive is generally considered at least marginally better than the rest and I haven't seen any indications that I might be missing any crucial information if I start with it. So, since I don't know if it's going to appeal to me enough to play a second game, I though I may as well start with the best.

I have fond memories of The Pandora Directive. It creates a nice film noir atmosphere, the adventure game is good and the film sequences more convincing than in similar games. The controls are actually quite okay once you get used to them. If I'm not mistaken there was some pressing of the space bar involved to switch between modes.
Pandora is a long game. Probably much longer than today's typical 10 hour adventure.

I also enjoyed the last game in the series, the name ecapes me right now. It was actually a remake of an earlier part.

It was also the first "epic" game that had a pink CD#1

My System Shock 2 CD is pink…
And my Nox CDs are both blue.

I seem to have missed out on something here :(

Probably different versions (i am EU) ? #1 is pink #2 is yellow and they have NOX written with silver letters

I'm from Sweden, so EU here as well. But it is probably just a regional difference.

Mine are blue, have NOX written in another shade of blue, and have characters from the game on them (CD 1 has the witch, and CD 2 has a warrior). Also in blue.

Not here. Both CDs are violet. I have it, too. CD 1 has a witch on it, CD 2 a warrior. The graphics style of both strongly reminds me of the character graphics of Baldur's Gate.

There is no denying that Deus Ex was a quality game, and it still remains one of the best in its sub-genre of FPS/CRPG hybrids (though I prefer system shock 2), but I still think it seem like peoples nostalgia is getting the better of them when it comes to Deus Ex 1. My only real gripe with the game has to do with the stealth system, I found it slightly awkward and the enemies ability to detect you was a bit inconsistent. I could stand in the darkest shadow and still be detected, and sometimes I could stand in a far brighter spot and the enemies would just walk right past me.

I never encountered any major issues with the stealth in DX. It wasn't perfect, but the game also didn't revolve around it.

I just recently reinstalled DX, and I think it still holds up to any other game in the genre. There just aren't enough games with that type of gameplay imo, and even fewer that are as good.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also know a guy who thought Dungeon Lords was good. :)

Hey! I didn't say it was 'good' ... just that I enjoyed it way more than I should have and have replayed it ~10 times now ...

BTW, do Zerg/Protoss hybrids appear in SC2?
Short answer: yes
Actually, the hybrids with the Xel'Naga controlling them are the big bad evil of the Starcraft 2 trilogy; it is pretty cool that there are already hints of this in Broodwar, although in my opinion Broodwars' storyline is better than Wings Of Liberty's and it leads up to greater events than what is actually displayed in WoL.

I just recently reinstalled DX, and I think it still holds up to any other game in the genre. There just aren't enough games with that type of gameplay imo, and even fewer that are as good.

I also replayed DX rather recently, and I agree that it has held up rather well. I think your statement about the lack of games with this style of gameplay is a major reason why it has aged so well; no one has taken the concept of DX and improved upon it or added to it, and as such, DX still stands out as an incredibly unique experience that is unlike almost anything else out there.

in my opinion Broodwars' storyline is better than Wings Of Liberty's and it leads up to greater events than what is actually displayed in WoL.

You know the story sort of bothered me. It just seemed mostly as an after the fact excuse for lending credence to some of the scenarios where previous enemy factions starting working together as allies.
The oddest story arc was the Matriarch getting corrupted/controlled by Kerrigan. How could a creature with such immense psychic powers be controlled?

One can definitely see it that way, but I liked how it highlighted the different factions within one race and how their goals and methods are different. I don't really like the very typical SF idea of "one race = one agenda".
I also scratched my head at the Matriarch's corruption. But I think this puzzlement is actually intended as Kerrigan's strength is severely underestimated by the Protoss. And by having the player wonder about this issue, he is forced to rethink his assessment of Kerrigan and the threat she represents, while he is also shown how the pride of the Protoss clouds their judgment. Something which I feel didn't really come across in the main game's Protoss campaign.

That said, while I was a bit disappointed by most of WoL's storyline, I am pretty hyped up for the next SC2 game.

There's just too much betrayl and backstabbing in the SC and WC 3 stories to be realistic. Why in all hells would anyone of them work with each other when they've been routinely betrayed, multiple times. It comes off as very bogus, and a cheap trick to justify the mixing up of battle scenarios.

In any case, regarding the spoiler:

Is there a new faction for the hybrids in SC2, or are there new hybrid Protoss or Zerg units, or are there no playable hybrids?

Last edited:
Hey! I didn't say it was 'good' … just that I enjoyed it way more than I should have and have replayed it ~10 times now …

I think its official. You've spent more time defending your review of Dungeon Lords than David Bradley spent lying about its features!

There's just too much betrayl and backstabbing in the SC and WC 3 stories to be realistic. Why in all hells would anyone of them work with each other when they've been routinely betrayed, multiple times. It comes off as very bogus, and a cheap trick to justify the mixing up of battle scenarios.

By video game standards, I thought the storyline for SC1/Broodwar was definitely above average, especially for an RTS game.

To answer your question.. no. At least not in Wings of Liberty.

I hear you Mike, sometimes I get nostalgic about Fargrove myself. So many fascinating NPCs, and lets not forget the rats!

But hey I've got a cross to bear as well - POR2 :)

I finished Geneforge 1 last night. Currently deciding what to play next.

Back
Top Bottom