Last game you finished, tell us about it

CoD4, really impressed actually, didn't expect to like it due to the modern setting but the smooth and fast paced game play is really enjoyable. The cinematic approach of the game is really nicely done - I just wish the shooter community was a little more new player friendly though. Great attention to detail 9/10.

Play nice, you two - you know who you are. :gorath:

Last 5 I finished:

1) Neverwinter Nights 2 - I am torn on this game. Parts of it I really like. I love the companion system and the neat little touches like owning a keep, and interactions you can have with party members. I HATED the endless cut-scenes and ridiculous combat at the end of the game. I felt like the middle of the game was great, but the beginning and end lowered the score for me. (7.5/10)

2) Syberia - What a great adventure game this was! I really liked the story and I loved the graphical look of the game. Parts were a little silly, but overall this was a nice breath of fresh air for me. (9/10)

3) F.E.A.R. - Pretty good corridor shooter. Good story and great graphics. I enjoyed it. (8/10)

4) Gods: Land of Inifinity - Very disappointed. I remember seeing screens of this game in production and I was excited. I thought that the graphics looked so colorful and it looked to be a return to the glory days of RPGS. When I played, I was crushed. No indoor locations, final fantasy style combat, worst voice acting imaginable, very linear, very short, and very easy. (3.5/10)

5) Fate - I loved this little game. Very nice graphical style (Cartoony Diablo) and nice little features like having a pet that can run back to town to sell your goodies, fishing in the dungeon and feeding the fish to your pet to transform it into another creature, and completing the game then having a "descendant" who journeys back into the dungeon with one fo your "handed down" items (which grows more powerful). The unique thing about this game was that it was meant to be completed in about 10 hours and beat again and again with new characters. I really liked it. Simple. Quick. Fun. (9/10)

Last 5 I finished:

1) Neverwinter Nights 2 - I am torn on this game. Parts of it I really like. I love the companion system and the neat little touches like owning a keep, and interactions you can have with party members. I HATED the endless cut-scenes and ridiculous combat at the end of the game. I felt like the middle of the game was great, but the beginning and end lowered the score for me. (7.5/10)

How long did it take you to finish NWN2?

How long did it take you to finish NWN2?

It actually took me quite a bit of time. I remember in the beginning it just felt like it was dragging, then in the middle time flew, but in the end....ugh...the endless array of cutscenes and battles took forever.

In all, I would say the game took me 30+ hours easy.

30+ That's all? That's quite a bit less than what I was expecting, I guess it's no Baldur's Gate.

I was just curious, I've had it for over a year and still haven't even installed it.

Just finished Virtual Villagers II.

actually, the game never really ends, as your little villagers will theoretically keep mating and dying for all eternity, but I solved all the puzzles of the island. I cheated on one, because there's like like a thousand different combinations of herbs to make this one particular stew, and Ive got better things to do w/ my time then run thru them all trying to find it.

All in all, a good little village sim casual game that improves on part one. Looking forward to part 3 ='.'=

After the distraction of the holidays and some, er, other things *cough* mark of chaos *cough*, I've finally finished Eschalon. First game I've finished in probably over 2 years. I clocked in at about 50 hours because:

a) First time through, I like to scour every corner of a world, if feasible
b) I played a Ranger, which seems to be a class that takes a little more thought and deliberateness in combat and resource management
c) I play slowly in general. :)

What a lovingly crafted game. And it hit the bull’s-eye for me in so many design choices. A few examples:

World - great atmosphere without trying too hard. Manageable size without feeling too small.
Writing - less is more. Just how I like it. Enough to feel realistic and contribute to immersion, but not so much that I thought I was reading more than playing. Nothing wrong with reading, it's just that I can usually get a much better story and much, much better writing out of a book by a good author than from a game. To put this in context, I've never been a fan of the overflowing, purple prose style for cRPG's. I find it usually works against my personal immersion factor rather than for. Also, obvious dialogue branches thinly veiled with lots and lots of less than inspirational (i.e. hackneyed) lines aren’t a plus in my book. Just get to the point with enough style to give the character some, well, character. I think Eschalon nails this most of the time.
Combat - challenging and well paced. Not too much. Not too overwhelming. Very fun. Got to use lots of tactical options, more so than most cRPG’s I’ve played recently. Melee, ranged, offensive magic, defensive magic, buffs, alchemy, environment, lighting/sneaking. Used them all to good effect. Often. Very rich. As a bonus, my Ranger got to be a true Ranger growing in skill with his bow to the point that for the last quarter of the game he was dropping most foes before they got to him. How many cRPG’s have a valid ranged character these days?
Character Progression - again, well paced. The game was tough without being spirit-crushing for the first 25%, challenging for the middle 50%, and I felt satisfyingly powerful for the final 25%. Note, based on general feedback on the game, mileage can vary significantly here depending on how you build your character. Guess I got a bit lucky with my first. :)
Skill Progression - great. Lots of meaningful options to choose from without too much overlap. Plus, really felt the difference in effectiveness as points were added. I've read the criticisms that the game "forces" you down a generalist path, but I'm not buying it. I plan to play more purest classes in future runs just to see. Finally, like that there are multiple options for increasing skills, i.e. point-buy, books, trainers and items. Nicely done and with restraint. Never felt like it was too easy to level up as many skills as I wanted. Choices almost always required thought.
Tricks and Treats - traps! puzzles! fire-bombs! levers! camping! varying diseases! curses! Found myself saying “whoa. that’s cool.” far more often and much further into the game than many others.

To sum up: loved it! Can’t wait for Book II. Now, when can I find some time to complain about the Gamebanshee review…

Last edited:
Not sure how this thread got lost, so I'll bring it back.

Finished my run thru Space Rangers 2. I played on easy (that's getting to be a habit--I must be getting lazy in my old age) but think I got a pretty good taste of what the game offers. I had a very good time with it, although the documentation leaves much to be desired. I've had to figure many things out on the fly. I think this one will stay on the hard drive for a long time. The structure is varied, but works pretty well. I could see another run where I try different things. I ended up as a hero, basically stomping on the Dominators. Toward the end, my ship was nearly untouchable. While that put a damper on the challenge, at that point in my game, I was ready for a nice simple stomp to the end of the story.

Well worth the money!

Recently ran through Titan Quest + Immortal Throne. Really impressed with it - love Greek Mythology. I like the idea of amalgamating 2 classes into making one. Immortal Throne is one hell of an expansion.

Dungeon Lords again. Look for a blog this week at Gamingwithchildren.com on that subject ... ;)

Just finished Crysis. Excellent game if not a little short. I was very surprised when it ended as I thought I had at least a few hours left to go.

I may have just been expecting more because Crytek's last game, Far Cry, was very long for a FPS.

....might have to fire that one up again...

Just 'finished' Puzzle Quest due to lost savegames. Pretty much the same as with Syndicate back in Pleistocene (a HDD controller suicide at level 48 out of 50), just that it was my own fault this time.

I just finished Geneforge 1... man, what a game!

I lost track of how many hours I played, but I know it was somewhere between 70 and 100. I love it!!!

I'm too tired to write any kind of real review... but rest assured, if you haven't tried it, you should. Get the demo and play... The way it ended was very cool, and you could tell that there are many different endings, depending on the choices you have made.

I though my choice would result in a (basically) positive ending, but boy was I wrong... I won't spoil it... but I sure was surprised by the results of my actions!

Great game!

Finished KotOR (light side) last night. Enjoyed it to a degree but found it a little formulaic and more than a little hammy (even for SW) in places.

Finished Imperialism I again. A true classic if a bit heavy on the micromanagement. You build up a 19th c industrial economy and either conquer or colonise (through diplomatic vassalisation and economic investment) the world. Turn based strategy of a kind that is rare nowadays.

Having a newspaper pop up in between turns with headlines such as "people of the Austrian Empire have bigger brains" adds to the victorian feel:p

Last edited:
Played ultima 0 akalabeth through and it took around 1 hours. Got the message: "Ahh....Zakhal thou hast accomplished thy quest. Report thy amazing feat to lord british today!". I guess I need to call the man. Som version actually had som phonenumber included.

I actually have it from the Ultima Collection, but have never lasted more than 2 minutes with it, since I died from starvation almost immediately.

I've just finished NWN2.

I could have really loved it if it weren't for these problems: camera issues, very laggy in some areas especially the final battle area, tedious watcher quests and endless (it seems so anyway!) battles at the end and not being able to rest (more troublesome).

Apart from that, it was really great game and it is now officially my 2nd fav game. I hope my opinion won't change when I play MotB as well.

I will give it 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom