Looking for a new HD TV...

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I want to purchase a new TV for my father for Christmas. He watches a lot of televsion and currently only has a 32" LCD. I'd like to get him something better and with a significantly larger screen. He's partial to Samsung, but I'm open to any name-brand as long as the quality and price are good.

As someone who watches very little television, I don't keep up on what's considered good in regards to TVs. I know I should probably get an LED-LCD now, right? How much better is 120hz compared to 60hz?

Size-wise, the minimum I'm looking at is 42", and the max is probably 50". From what I've seen so far, the prices seem to scale disproportionately higher when you go above 50".

I know Samsung and LG are generally well regarded, and those brands are readily available in my area. Off the top of my head, other brands that I see locally are Philips, Sanyo, Emerson, Panasonic, Sceptre, and Vizio, but those all seem to be somewhat lower quality.

Any suggestions?

Led consumes about half less electricity than lcd or plasma. 120hz is better if you watch sports. With 60hz the motion becomes blurred from edges and you can clearly see that on big TVs.

Of course even then it depends on the tv model how good the 120hz is actually. The are huge differences. The fact that it claims to be 120hz doesnt mean much.

I would suggest Sony, Samsung, Lg and Sharp. And in that order. Sharp is usually cheapest and Sony most expensive. 65" lg costs 2400e, 65" samsung 5000e and 65" sony 7000e.

Lg has best 3D technology if you are interested of that. Its passive with cheap glasses. Ive compared it to nvidias latest lightboost-tech and nvidias active glasses fail in comparison.

I have one of the lower end Panasonic Plasmas and its awesome.

I calibrated it myself with the help of a forum and I cannot find any faults with it.

Games look great with no ghosting or anything.

Mine is a 50 incher and it was only $800 USD.

I would suggest Sony, Samsung, Lg and Sharp. And in that order. Sharp is usually cheapest and Sony most expensive. 65" lg costs 2400e, 65" samsung 5000e and 65" sony 7000e.

I like Sony, but their TVs are a little overpriced imo. Their models are around 40-50% more than many of the other name-brands over here, and I don't think they're that much better.

I don't like Sharp at all. Their models over here tend to be very cheap and low quality.

Like I said, I'm looking at 50" max. I would like to find something decent in the $600-$800 range.

@Toff - Most of the Panasonics I've seen over here are also plasmas. They're cheap, but they tend to be 720p. I'm not considering anything less than 1080p.

Last edited:
Mines 1080p. I wouldn't buy a 720 nowadays either.

They tend to go on super sale also which is when I picked mine up.

$1600 at Best Buy or $800 on amazon. I chose Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom