Black Isle - Van Buren Tech Demo Released @ NMA

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, they've outdone themselves. NMA has released the actual Van Buren (Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3) tech demo that was built to get the green light to proceed with full production. Remember that this is a tech demo - a very early demonstration framework from 2003 that is in no way complete (or stable, for that matter) and was never intended for public consumption.
Head here to read NMA's newsbit, including instructions, details and a download link.
More information.

Hella long waiting line right now. Personally I think it's worth it, but some people might have to wait.

How 'bout the timing of me and Matt Grandstaff, ey? Hella weird.

Would've Been Happier...

I would've been happier if they had released the source code. That way, all the Fallout modders would've had the chance to make a real Fallout game instead of having to deal with "Falloblivion."

Oh hush, you two.

I think it'd be fabulous if they released the source code.

Then all of the self-appointed Fallout experts could turn their attention to "finishing" the game as the one true vision of Fallout. All of their bile and vitriol would be turned away from Bethy and towards one another. Can you imagine the flame wars and unholy jihads that would result when rampant asshatery is met by more rampant asshatery instead of Bethy's silent, cold shoulder?

It would certainly be hilarious (if you could avoid the tubs and goats).

It would certainly be hilarious

True dat... and it would bring up some interesting questions, too... like if there actually is enough popcorn and beer in the world to satisfy the demand that would unquestionably arise from watching such a spectacle :biggrin: .

There's no point or need. (Sorry to interrupt with a serious reply)

Modders would be far better served with the FIFE project (an open-source Fallout-like engine in development) than a dodgy unfinished tech demo.

There's no point or need. (Sorry to interrupt with a serious reply)

Modders would be far better served with the FIFE project (an open-source Fallout-like engine in development) than a dodgy unfinished tech demo.

To quote JE Sawyer:
I appreciate the enthusiasm over this demo, but if you guys want to put your efforts into something like the old Fallouts, I would strongly encourage you to support something like Zero Projekt or another FIFE-engine title.

Van Buren's engine is really not easy to work with, especially if you don't have any code at all to work with. Working on a 2D game is a much more realistic fan project and also closer to the original titles.

Just my opinion.

Also, am I allowed to express some puzzlement at the fact that of the pretty wide coverage (33 sites, dozens of forums, frontpage of Digg) this item got, this is the only place I've seen that takes this oppertunity to make snide remarks about either the tech demo or the Fallout fans? I find that odd, can someone explain it?

Last edited:
Also, am I allowed to express some puzzlement at the fact that of the pretty wide coverage (33 sites, dozens of forums, frontpage of Digg) this item got, this is the only place I've seen that takes this oppertunity to make snide remarks about either the tech demo or the Fallout fans? I find that odd, can someone explain it?

So let me guess, youre somkind of political officer for NMA?

Well, I'm by no means speaking for anyone but myself, but the thought of a bunch of people scrambling to get a mere glimpse, a tiny little taste of some half-baked programming that was meant to be their golden salvation, their panacea... so close but yet so far......

I'm sorry, it's just funny to me.

So go put it on a ceremonial floppy disc and bury it out in the backyard six feet down, with taps playing softly in the background, and with it your thoughts, hopes, and dreams...

To quote JE Sawyer:

If you look at other threads in these forums you'll find that many people here are in fact Fallout fans, but I guess most of us have accepted that Van Buren is history, so why dwell on it?

You can accept something and still remain interested in older concepts. Soviet Union ist history, but there are so many interesting aspects we can learn from. So why stop thinking of it? Because it's gone?

You can accept something and still remain interested in older concepts. Soviet Union ist history, but there are so many interesting aspects we can learn from. So why stop thinking of it? Because it's gone?

Ah hell, someone give that man a stick!

Yeah, that would be great :D
Limbo cool limbo fine everybody gets a chance
clap your hands it's party time do the limbo dance

Ok, fair enough, I'm just not used to sites that traditionally Hate NMA (with a capital H), like the Codex or, even more, Gamebanshee, who really Hate our Guts (capital H, capital G), being more positive than you guys.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Ok, fair enough, I'm just not used to sites that traditionally Hate NMA (with a capital H), like the Codex or, even more, Gamebanshee, who really Hate our Guts (capital H, capital G), being more positive than you guys.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

I'd never say that I hate NMA or hardcore fallout fans... they have their view on things and that's cool. Everyone can do whatever he or she wants. I'm just saying that for me personally Van Buren is a thing of the past - as sad as it is, it was canceled a long time ago, and chances are pretty bad that we'll ever see a "true" Fallout 3.

oh I'm just having some fun

You cant tell me that the mental picture of a bunch of sullen guys standing around dressed in black, watching a small floppy disk size casket with a radiation symbol on it being slowly lowered into the ground isnt funny!

I didn't want to sound provocative, if I did. It was just puzzling.

Prolly no one here who tried it? It gives an interesting insight in Fallout on a 3D engine, for one, and is a bit of a rough indicator here and there of the feel, if nothing else.

I have tried the Van Buren tech demo, and I had some trouble finding the correct way to the vault, untill I read Kharn's excellent instructions how to turn rotate the screen. When I got into the vault, I had trouble repairing the bot, since I didn't have a tool box. :( very sad :(

I think the feel and the look says Fallout. I've had some difficulties in moving in and out of the vault as well as having had difficulties with moving in the vault. I know is a sort of pre-alpha built, but somehow the visuals didn't seem that appealing to me. (but this would of course have changed in the final version if & when etc. )

As for this site hating NMA, I don't hate or dislike NMA. I don't always agree with NMA's position about Fallout, but I can respect their dedication to Fallout. It takes something very unique to have such a passion for post apoc universe that is Fallout :)

Back
Top Bottom