Spiderweb Games - Geneforge 5: Overthrow Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Spiderweb has officially unveiled Geneforge 5: Overthrow, with a product page and the first three screens online. Here's the feature list:
Spiderweb Software brings you Geneforge 5: Overthrow, the final chapter in their fantasy epic. Return to the world of the Shapers one final time. Explore a vast, war-torn world, create and mold your own army of strange, powerful monsters, and choose a side to help lead to final victory.
Geneforge 5: Overthrow features:​
    • Enormous world, with over 80 areas to explore.
    • Choose among five different factions, each with its own beliefs, cities, and quests. Help the rebels or fight them. Your choices will shape the world.
    • Dozens of different endings. Choose for yourself how the saga will finally end.​
    • Many paths to victory. Slay your enemies or use stealth and diplomacy to outwit them. Become engrossed in the storyline or just go out and wreak havoc.​
    • Lots of replay value.
    • Prior experience with the Geneforge series is completely unnecessary.​
The screens reveal a little of the new interface and the OpenGL support.More information.

I Like all of Jeff's games, so I am looking forward to this one. But, I've only played and finished the first Geneforge game (I focused mostly on the Avernum series). I really enjoyed the first one though, and I have the other ones sitting on my desk waiting to be played.

I look forward to playing all the Geneforge games... hopefully over the next year or two.

Yeah, it's called quality game play. The big companies should look into it.

I've recently bought Avernum 5, which was the first one I was able to run on Linux using Wine without major hiccups (good thing they offer very large demos so you're able to test thoroughly). Graphics may not look like much, but they're fairly solid and the gameplay shines, not to mention the fact that I've been playing for a week now and don't think I've seen half of the available locations yet. Which is what I take over state-of-the-art presentation anytime.
One part that I think could use some improvement is the party avatars, which, in my opinion at least, don't fit all that well with the rest of the game (NPC character icons look much better).

I love the new look - definitely looking forward to this. If only I could get on his Mac testing rolls ...

Shame this is the last one. I hope Jeff pulls a similar u-turn with the Geneforge series as he did with the Avernum games.

I think it is time for some new IP and I'm sure he feels the same. I can't wait to see what comes next ...

People actually pay money for this shit?

-ehm-

yes.

They do pay money for these games. Not because they think they are 'shit' as you call it, but because they think they are very good games that has a decent story and good gameplay.

I have to say that after having played some demos for both the Avernum games and the Geneforge games, I find that this type of game doesn't -ehm - let's just say that they are not my cup of tea. But I can certainly see why others might like them.

Yeah, I pay for this shit and I can't wait. I've been a beta tester for a few years now but I often buy a copy, anyway.

I always buy the Mac game and then have a jump on getting into it for PC beta testing ... I just can't wait to WADE into this shit!!!

From the forum

"In Geneforge 5, you can play the game on any size of monitor and you can play the game in a window. If you have a huge monitor, you can see a huge chunk of the terrain around you. It really makes a big difference."

Having a large chunk of terrain viewable will make the game much more playable for me. I may get roped into this too.

Cool - I love playing these sorts of things in a window!

I like the new interface already, and can't wait for february next year. Indeed, too bad it's the last, but I agree that it's probably time for Jeff to move on to a new game.

Sure. Not many people and not too much money, but gosh we wish they would pay more. But you know, it's not an epidemic confined to PC games. Crap movies make buckets of money while awesome independent flicks make nothing. Crap music dominates the sales charts. Why should quality games buck the trend by outselling crap ones with flashier graphics?

Having a large chunk of terrain viewable will make the game much more playable for me. I may get roped into this too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what Spiderweb needs is to separate the engine from the content. That way, he'd probably get 1-2-3-5 sales extra from people like you, who couldn't play the previous games because the playing area was too small, or the portraits were too ugly, or there wasn't enough graphical oomph. Modularity at it's finest, IMHO.

People would actually pirate shit ? I mean, in general ?

Because that's what your question implicitely says/means.

What a bad taste !

On a side note, that's something that always amuses me. My time is worth much more than the $20-$50 for a game. It it isn't worth paying for, it isn't worth my time playing, even for free.

That's why being selective is always a good thing. ;)
Well, at least in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom