RPGWatch Feature: U6 Project February Update

That's really too bad about not getting in all the art and music. The team's got a reputation for having the best of the two DS mods.

The implications of the library and thieves hideouts is that the square footage of the place is massive. I haven't tried the previous milestones (still working on U5 bit by bit), but Britannia could be double U5's size.

Looks really interesting - definitely hopeful for this one sucking up loads of my life!

Being a U6 purist who finished the game a lot of times, I am somewhat sceptical. The team made quite a few changes to the plot (I played one of the earlier milestones) that violate the way I understand the original. It will be hard to approach the game with an open mind, but I will do my best :)

I'm playing (on and off) U6 right now (the original). I welcome some plot changes. There really are a lot of loose ends and things that don't make sense. There were some pretty hefty changes made in Lazarus as well, but it kept the general theme and goal the same, so I have high hopes.

That's good to hear. It's so hard to find offline anymore.

Grandor, as I'm part of the U6P team, what particular aspects concern you? Have you mentioned them on the U6 Boards? We reply very quickly!! :)

Corwin,

Do you know what kind of writing they are looking for? I might be interested in that. I've got a journalism degree and done a lot of creative writing, so I think I could hack it! I'd like to contribute more, but I just don't have the time that would be required for 3-D modeling and such.

Curious they want to release it with unfinished art and music. Is there a hard deadline? After pouring so much work into this project one would believe they'd want it totally finished in terms of art and music. Meh maybe they are just really burnt out.

Hi Corwin,

Sorry, if I don't get involved in yet another forum :) I also wouldn't want you to adjust your vision just because of some negative feedback.

I did not play that much. What I didn't like was the hand-holding in the beginning. I was taken to Cove, there was a very scripted event there where some Gargoyles tried to trap me, very soon the link between the Gargoyles and the codes is established (I remember them all wearing these amulets)...

While these are all valid interpretations of u6's plot, it just didn't feel like that game to me. Don't worry, I will definitely download and play it once you guys finish your work on it. Just do what you think is true to the original, and fun to play. I very much appreciate what you are doing.

blatantninja,

We need writers who can do convos and lorebooks. We also need playtesters who can help us find bugs, check for balance in the game, etc. A huge time commitment is not required. If you're interested, please contact any of the team members on our forum:

http://www.projectbritannia.com/

Grandor, I can assure you that there is very little hand holding in the game. Some of the team have to ask questions when we're trying to test!! We have added quite a bit of extra content, but we all believe it enhances the expererience.

blatantninja,

We need writers who can do convos and lorebooks. We also need playtesters who can help us find bugs, check for balance in the game, etc. A huge time commitment is not required. If you're interested, please contact any of the team members on our forum:

http://www.projectbritannia.com/

Will do this weekend, thanks. Quick question though, is convos 'conversations'?

Great! Convos is conversations. I will PM you with more contact info.

Curious they want to release it with unfinished art and music. Is there a hard deadline? After pouring so much work into this project one would believe they'd want it totally finished in terms of art and music. Meh maybe they are just really burnt out.

Essentially, the art and music have lagged behind the other aspects of the game, and we don't want to hold up the release just to finish up those two pieces when they could probably just as well be contributed by the community. The game will be fully playable, and there will certainly be lots of music, just not the "unique musical theme per area" that we had originally envisioned. Regarding the art - the NPC portraits just can't be done fast enough to get them all done within any reasonable timeframe unless we get some serious help fast. We did just get a couple more volunteers and we may have more done than we thought, but we have to wait and see how fast we can get things done. There are still 200+ portraits to do. Fingers crossed.

After something like 7 or 8 years in development, we need to get this done or run the risk of becoming forgotten and/or irrelevant. Dungeon Siege 2 is already out (and already obsolete), DS1 is increasingly hard to acquire, and there's now talk of a DS3. We really need to release this thing or there'll be no one left who's interested. We're definitely not burnt out; in fact, the team is currently firing on all cylinders right now. We're just facing the reality that people have been waiting far too long for us and it's time to wrap it up.

I did not play that much. What I didn't like was the hand-holding in the beginning.

Ultima fans will be annoyed by this, so we tried to keep that to a minimum. However, the new generation of gamers will probably appreciate making the plot a little bit more linear. Fear not; there is still probably potentially hundreds (?!) of hours of non-directed gameplay, and lots of convoluted figure-it-out-yourself action to explore. And there are a few other quests that are linear, too. Hopefully we can appeal to gamers young and old. We'll see.

Grandor, I can assure you that there is very little hand holding in the game. Some of the team have to ask questions when we're trying to test!! We have added quite a bit of extra content, but we all believe it enhances the expererience.

I can't speak for U6, but this is exactly how I felt with U5. In Lazarus the extra content they added was great and absolutely no hand holding at all. You were free to go every and anywhere you want. As a matter of fact I got lost a few times, but it was great. Well there is one little exception. You are free to go anywhere as long as you can SURVIVE.

Last edited:
Britannia could be double U5's size.
The overworld is the same size, but the underground, gargoyle realm, and various other areas make this extremely likely. Without giving too much away, the gargoyle realm is FAR bigger than in the original game.

Back
Top Bottom