The "I Just Bought" thread

Bought a program to write music in. I'm waiting for the keyboard to come on sale so I'll be using the poor mans QWERTY-keyboard meanwhile. :) It's been a loooong time since I made any so it'll be fun to see if there is any artistic creativity/integrity left in this old fart.

Which program? I began with Encore, but it seems to have disappeared and my old floppy doesn't fit in my current PC. I now have Sibelius (sp?) but it's way more complicated.

Presonus Studio One. I just started poking around last night and I'm fairly impressed by how easy it was to discover things for yourself (though not much seems changed in the last ~10 years). I was mostly familiar with Cakewalk (and a little Cubase) from before. Midi editing is a simple piano roll but I prefer that. It's strength seems to be mixing and mastering (DAW its called now apparently). Seems popular with live instruments musicians for instance who isn't necessarily skilled using sequencers. Sibelius looks a tad more serious when it comes to scoring songs using staff notation though. I specifically picked this one since it seemed the simplest (yet not too simple) to use. I wanted to avoid getting stuck twidling knobs instead of making music.

Currently I'm shopping around for virtual instruments. Looking at acquiring a piano instrument and maybe a couple of orchestral instruments. It's a little bit expensive so I'm looking for deals on the software required to use them (Kontakt 4 from Native Instruments).

Last edited:
Yeah, since I write using staff notation and mixing isn't something I know anything about, I like to be able to plug my keyboard in; play and have the music suddenly appear before me. Then I usually add guitar chords later.

Since, I'm a professional music producer, let me tell you something else. ^^

You could even download some very useful plug-ins to help you out, such as Guitar Rig 3, Absynth 4, Orchestral HQ, etc. :) I use them for house production. Cubase SX5 is already out, and I have a pirated copy, because I can't afford to pay 600 euros for such small program that has only the basic stuff.

When you get used to it, let me hear your music one day. :)

Speaking of the piano, I think it's the Grand Piano. try here www.vstclub.com and find this kind of piano. :) And this sound reminds me of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Install music. :D

Some 10 years ago I didn't have any income so I downloaded pretty much anything released. I have the money now so I opt to pay for it instead. Before when I had all these options available it usually resulting in very little music getting made anyway, since most of my time was spent fiddling around with all the software. Studio One I got for 200$. It's probably even more basic than Cubase but that's a plus in my book :). Abelton Live 8 also looked nice but seemed a tad complex. The piano is Soundiron's Emotional Piano btw.

Demo songs? If I ever manage to produce something that doesn't sound like crap I'll let you know. :p I want to try and make some small classical pieces for british detective/mystery/fantasy themes. Not exactly house. :)

Last edited:
Just bought a pair of wrist-weights of half a kilo, and another pair of 1 kilo. Need them for Kendo training, because I need to enhance my hands power. The more power I build, the more faster I get to be to deal an attack. :)

Since last update Ive bought electric bike, robotic vacuum cleaner, robotic trashcan and robotic mop.

They all work great except the robomop. Its kind of stupid and useless because the robovacuum does so good work.

This is my ebike from china/taiwan factory 650e:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...408464289_1071205164_2474697_1199067151_n.jpg
Goes 70km or like 7-10 workdays for one loading.

My robovacuum neato xv-15. It has won all the reviews here and cleaned my dust for more than month. She is a winner and I take good care of her.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content...mb_neato_xv-15_robot_vacuum_sg_11-580x408.jpg

Anyways there is the 42 litre robotrashcan. Its good too. It simply eats trash from your hands. Its useful (and somewhat flashy too).
http://www.robokeskus.fi/filemanager/productpics/507picture1Upload.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stuff. I want a robo cleaner too, seems like they're getting pretty good too.

I love my ebike, it's also some china/taiwan model http://www.ecoride.se/12-18-large/avenue-city.jpg

Very comfortable since much can be adjusted, something i hated with the old (non electrical) one i had..

Bought Venetica today. FINALLY ! ;)

I also bought 2 DVDs :

- Tangled
- Despicable Me

I'm excited, the game looks pretty comprehensive as far as bridge command, managing ship resources, and assembling an away team. The original cast voiced all the characters as well, tho we noticed that Wesley was nowhere to be found =(
On the normal difficulty, you can let the various crew members such as LaForge and Worf take care of engineering and such and the computer will select the right away team for the missions. Higher difficulty has you manually doing everything, I think that's what I'm going to go for.

Looks like the preparation may entail creating an ISO from the disk and mounting that in Dosbox instead of running it off the CD, scanning forums it seems that people can get it going in Win7 but it can be tricky to get the game going and get sound as well.

... I just preordered Skyrim.

I know I shouldn't post twice in a row, but I bought new boots and golden pumps after my Skyrim preorder.

I'll post a pic of my collection of boots tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow. Promised!

me too, Jaz. The game, not the dazzling footwear .. ='.'=

unfortunately the star trek game was a success then fail - it worked great, then i shut it down. came back to it later and cant get it to work at all now..

I bought a one year old Alienware M17x R2 Black Aluminium:

cc4e5a67504bc8e09e45983971bf0-medium.jpg

-Intel I7 820 QM ( 1.73GHz, MAX turbo 3.06 GHz)
-6 GB DDR3-1333Mhz (4gt+2gt)
-Seagate Momentus 500 GB 7200 rpm
-2 x Radeon mobility 5870 (5870 Crossfire)
-17" WUXGA RGB LED näyttö (1920 x 1200)
-FI keyboard
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
-DigiTv ExpressCard
-Blu-Ray/DVD-RW
-Bought 09/2010 with 2 years guarantee

Its more like a mobile desktop than laptop. Cost me 1140€. One of the few alienware laptops available in Finland. It was pretty much the only one in finnish ebay.

It should be powerful enough to play latest pc games in gf house where I dont have a desktop pc.

Its possible to upgrade it to 6970m crossfire but I think 5870m crossfire is enough for now.

Back
Top Bottom