CVG - 101 Best PC Games Ever #4

Well, I can just agree that Deus Ex is a true, timeless classic. Any precise numbers are pointless :D

Finally Morrowind get some of the attention it deserves. But I suppose there's a lot to disagree with on the list, but that must be the premises when dealing with a list composed of the 101 best PC games ever.

And from now on the Morrowind haterz can go to hell, because this list say you can. I'll bookmark this one and use it as evidence everytime someone mentions otherwise.

Last edited:
And from now on the Morrowind haterz can go to hell, because this list say you can.
Then so can the Oblivion haters, apparently, because that's supposed to be one of the all-time best games too. Ironically, there's no bigger group of Oblivion haters than Morrowind lovers.

Aren't lists great?

Oblivion so high on the list and before those other true and proven classics is an insult to RPGers everywhere!

Morrowind the only RPG in the top 10? Sad.
As much as I love Morrowind, BG 2 should be in the top 10 instead.
And I can't believe PS:T is so low on the list, even below NWN!
And KOTOR ahead of BG 2, Ultima VII AND PS: T?????
Not one Wizardy title? Or Gold Box AD & D?
What's this world coming to?

Hard to get every genre covered but it's dissappointing that there are only 2 RPGs in the Top 20 especially when you consider some of the titles included (Pro Evolution Soccer???, Psychonauts???, Carmageddon??, FFVII?? (fine for a console list though), "N"????? )

And I love Deus Ex but I don't think of it as an RPG.

Oh well. Darn lists.

Last edited:
Hm, while I sort of like most of the games listed there (with the exception of the sports games, the NWN and BG franchises), my list would look very different. I find it interesting how they went through all the genres and still missed to list most of my favorite games, or put them on their list in the wrong order. I mean, someone who grants HL2 such a prominent place on their list must be seriously disturbed in some way or other ;).
And how could they include TFC when it never even scratched the surface of the fun that was the original TF? But I understand, the original TF was but a lowly mod, and TFC was a professional product.
*shakes head*

Half life 2 above Fallout, what a joke. I think I actually used to buy PC zone when it was a print magazine like 12 years ago (that's if it is the same company).

One thing that really shocks me about that list is KOTOR being that high,
there's no way in hell that game should be in the top 25.

Also, Rome: Total War is a good game, but number six all time?!?

StarCraft only 59th?!!!!!

*Edit* Also, did anyone notice if Gothic 1 or 2 was on the list at all? It wouldn't surprise me if they're not, those guys probably never played either of them.

Last edited:
The list is clearly slanted in favor of certain genres. Whoever wrote it clearly has a very strong preference for first/third person 3D, a strong preference for real-time versus turn-based gameplay, and has a casual liking for strategy games.

Still, the list isn't all bad -- almost all of the games on that list that I've played were, IMO, rather good. (In fact, the only one on that list that I've played and failed to enjoy much was, surprise surprise, Oblivion. However, I do see the appeal; I'm just not the kind of gamer to whom it appeals.)

Yeah, the listing is better when you ignore the numbering. But even still, within each block there are games that simply don't belong - Battlefield 2 was (is) buggy and had loads of issues even right up to the release of BF2142. Max Payne 2? And only *1* of the HL games belongs in the top 25 ... and it isn't the second one.

Such lists can't help but be contoversial. It's actually half the point to argue about it. Overall it's a decent list i think, and I am happy that MW tops Oblivion, and for some of the right reasons.

Not easy to do a top 100 games, I don't even own Deus Ex, though I was thinking of getting it from steam to have a play. I enjoyed HL2 myself I loved the atmosphere of that game. Its linear ofc but there is purity in its design. I preferred it to Oblivion anyway.

I've been trying to get hold of Ultima VII but I'm finding it difficult to acquire. I thought Ultima IV was very good but that was the only one I played much. Ultima Underworld was before the time I could afford a PC and I was the first in my family to be an rpg'er/gamer. So never played that either, and I have played a lot of games over the years.

Not easy to do a top 100 games.

I dunno, I think it is both easy and impossible. I could knock up a top 100 list in the next half hour, and people here would largely agree, but quibble over my numbering and some inclusions and exclusions.

I dunno, I think it is both easy and impossible. I could knock up a top 100 list in the next half hour, and people here would largely agree, but quibble over my numbering and some inclusions and exclusions.
I put one of these up on my little hole-in-the-wall website a while back. The only reason I did so was I was eventually going to get around to reviewing games and I figured a favorite game list would give people an idea where my tastes lay. Then work got busier and, well you know how it goes...

Numbering seemed pointless, so I went with grouping them into three groups, each more "exclusive" (la-di-dah) than the last, which is only slightly less pointless. Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun to make, even if I'm the only person who ever looks at it.

I put one of these up on my little hole-in-the-wall website a while back. The only reason I did so was I was eventually going to get around to reviewing games and I figured a favorite game list would give people an idea where my tastes lay. Then work got busier and, well you know how it goes...

Numbering seemed pointless, so I went with grouping them into three groups, each more "exclusive" (la-di-dah) than the last, which is only slightly less pointless. Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun to make, even if I'm the only person who ever looks at it.

I liked the way you did things - and I actually think they are more fun on a small-scale, personal basis than 'Game Mag X Declares the best gamez EVAR'!

Numbering seemed pointless

I agree - best to have broken the list by genre and then list alphabetically or by release year. I mean, how can you compare an RPG to an RTS to a Sports title to an Action game?

Also just realized: Arcanum and Icewind Dale are missing!!!! GAH!!!!! :)

Seriously though, Icewind Dale should have made that list. That game was just about PERFECT. I don't recall any bugs/technical issues, length/challenge was just right, awesome music, great graphics, replayability, terrific combat and that Severed Hand dungeon!!! Sure, it wasn't as deep as BG2 but it didn't matter, it was fun, challenging and had a decent story.

Again, can't have everything in there but KOTOR is a bit of a head scratcher - I enjoyed it being a Star Wars fan (it had a good story and great writing) but it was lacking everywhere else (way too easy even on hard difficulty, too linear, art design was bland, etc.).

If anything KOTOR 2 was a better game - while buggy and sadly "unfinished" it still improved upon KOTOR in many ways. Still, both were extremely linear, repetetive and easy.

Lists! Who needs them! :)
(Fun to argue about them though!)

Yeah it's easy enough to do your own personal list, but, 101 best pc games ever? I've never played Wastelands either. There are just so many I would have to play and judge to do that.

I find it interesting how they went through all the genres and still missed to list most of my favorite games, or put them on their list in the wrong order...*shakes head*
That's typical, isn't it? When asked for a recommendation, people tend to suggest things other than what they really think are best. For instance, food author Calvin Trillin points out how the only restaurants anyone ever recommends are the ones with names like "La Maison de Casa House, Continental Cuisine." Nobody ever refers you to the place they really enjoy. His advice to finding a good place to eat: Trust your own instincts, and seek it out on your own.

IMHO some games are like restaurants named "La Maison de Casa House." They sound like they should be really good. Often they turn out to be not so hot. Some people still give them high marks nonetheless.

i'm not sure if deus ex is the best game of all time but it's pretty darn high on my list! and it is an rpg, character with a personality and character development is what makes an rpg rpg, not statistics. statistics are... statistics.

Back
Top Bottom