Dragon Age - Review @ Gametrailers

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Shock, horror it's more DA news. Gametrailers have a 10min video review of Dragon Age, which gives a high quality HD look at the graphics. It's highly positive, stating the game is involved and some encounters can be punishing, with very few complaints other than presentation the game's final score is 9.1.
Edit: I just noticed that lumiapina, from our forums, spotted this one and has noted that this one spoils.
More information.

As is usual for GT, lots of spoilers in the video. Just listen. They actually complained about a long RPG game. No mention of modding and community support.

A tone of resentment towards the PC was expressed.

Last edited:
like those retarded football commentators on radio/tv, this is blatant biased cheering, not (p)reviewing. :roll:
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:
The exact quote (for those who don't want to view the video) is:

…partly due to the game's borderline absurd length, which may feel novel at times but ultimately out of place in this day and age.

I don't think it's complaining as much as being surprised in today's gaming environment. I mean, 60-120 hours is a long time. :)

The exact quote (for those who don't want to view the video) is:

I don't think it's complaining as much as being surprised in today's gaming environment. I mean, 60-120 hours is a long time. :)

When i saw the review it seemed to me he was criticising it for being too long also ;)

At least for me, the bigger the game, the better, as long as there is an end to it, unlike MMOs for example. Replayability and user content (through the editor) is also not taken into account by the review, wich is one of the biggest trumpf cards of DA.

I love long games if they have good dialogues/story to make it bearable. I haven't played DA (getting Divinity 2 first) but I really don't see how a RPG gamer can have issues with long play time (it's not like you have to finish it in day-1) for a game that is supposed to have best story ever (according to reviewers of course).

Also, Gametrailers is a console site. Every possible PC review from them is usually delayed, a console review disguised as PC review, or biased PC hating review where they seem to find issues when there are none with controls and graphics.

Not to mention the fact that their reviews spoil every possible bit even down to the ending (in Batman review they actually show you the "surprise" part while talking about not showing it so not to spoil it for the gamer..wtf?).

Hopefully, GT and Eurogamer will one day run out of e-ink or something and just stop reviewing PC games..

I'm normally hypercritical of story and depth in CRPGs. Having played a few hours of DA, I must say that this story is probably the most mature and well-structured I've come across. It's actually enjoyable to listen to the conversations and read the codex (back-story, character descriptions, history, etc.) From what I can tell so far, the story is more novel-level instead of stretched-out-short-story-level, and it makes a world of difference.
The game experience seems quite deep so far. This is a highly-polished, deep game, and it seems Bioware has rightly put most of their eggs in one basket for this title.

Yeah Michael Dean, I'm critical of story and writing in CRPGs and other types too but, like you, DA stands apart from the crowd nicely. Beyond what you mentioned, I think I like the combat so far. It doesn't stress twitch reflexes of the player like Risen but is entirely tactics and stat/skills based which is great. There's so very much dialog though there are times when I put the game down because I just want to battle and explore and not sit through so much (very well done) chatter. :)

When i saw the review it seemed to me he was criticising it for being too long also ;)

At least for me, the bigger the game, the better, as long as there is an end to it, unlike MMOs for example. Replayability and user content (through the editor) is also not taken into account by the review, wich is one of the biggest trumpf cards of DA.

Seconded. Though I hope it's not repetitive. I do love long games, but walking around killing in the same style, or completing quests in the same time, makes it hard to sit down for long periods of time.

But it IS DA, so I'm expecting only the highest :).

A bit too much battle in this game for my taste, or rather the foes are not very interesting this far. Have only played about 20 hours though, so we will see. Hopefully the AI will get better too with some patches. Now the enemies are too easy to fool. Just throw some spells at them and they will follow the mage to the end of the world (meaning it is possible to run in circles with the mage while the rest of the group slowly kills the monsters - not fun, but it works).

The story does seem to be above average though. I still have high hopes.

Back
Top Bottom