System Shock 2 - Rumor: to be Released on GOG & later Steam

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I too scared to play it again

Although I might because it's one of the best games I've ever played. Upgraded textures would certainly help although I think there were a decent amount of user created ones even years ago when I played through.

This is phenomenal news for people who don't yet have the game. It's an absolute classic.

I'm gonna dream about monkeys with exposed brains attacking me in the night, aren't I?

"Look at you, hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

This game and the first one were so awesome, with incredible sound design and music. We need SS3! and yes, I gladly played both Bioshocks.

would probably buy it just to keep from needing to handle the CD
This. All games I already have I'm turning into digital form wherever I can. Not just once my CD got scratched, the game I just wanted to replay was uninstallable and I went loco.

I have to be honest I never played the first or second game. Are they worth buying now just to play them?

I have to be honest I never played the first or second game. Are they worth buying now just to play them?

Most enthusiast gamers consider them to be among the best games of all time, myself included.

The rest is up to you.

Most enthusiast gamers consider them to be among the best games of all time, myself included.

The rest is up to you.

I should try both then. :) Thanks.

I should try both then. :) Thanks.

Just keep in mind that they're old games, and the first System Shock in particular takes some getting used to. It looks like shit today - and the controls are awkward, at best. Everything else, however, is gaming heaven.

The first game is superior in most ways to the sequel - but that's just me.

The first game is superior in most ways to the sequel - but that's just me.

Me too. The second game does a lot of things better than the first but it falls apart towards the ending. The first game is solid gold all the way through.

FWIW, somebody came up with a mouselook patch for the first game. That might make the controls significantly less wonky for new players.

Rock Paper Shotgun have an interview with Night Dive & GOG.

Kick: Night Dive Studios secured the license to distribute the game, and made the initial modifications to allow the game to run on most current operating systems.
Rambourg: There are some user-made mods out there which do phenomenal work on the game’s stability, but none of them were quite perfect, so we took the game to our expert techninjas to analyse and swat the remaining bugs. It was some work to get it done, but as this is a game that we’ve wanted to release for four-plus years, it was also definitely a labour of love.
Kick: This release is the original version in all its glory. Fans will be able to apply the mods they know and love, and hopefully we may see some new mods from the community in the future.
Rambourg: We definitely hope that having a legal source for this ground-breaking game will spur more interest from the community.

Last edited:
I wish someone would remake SS1. The graphics border on unplayable now, but the game itself is incredible. I regularly fire it up in Dosbox.

Back
Top Bottom