Wasteland 2 - Update # 25

aries100

SasqWatch
Wasteland's 2 Kickstarter page has been updated; this update clarifies some of the things
in the HD video shown earlier. Here's a quote about the keyword dialoque system:
The foundation of the keyword system is the player building up a keyword library through interaction with NPCs and the world. The keyword list starts out empty, and as you speak with NPCs they will reveal new keywords to you. If the revealed keyword is only of interest to that NPC, it will go into a local list. You can click on words in the keyword list to navigate through the conversation. If the revealed keyword has importance beyond that particular conversation, it is put into the regional keyword list. These keywords are of interest to most of the NPCs you encounter that region. A third option, which is never required, is to type something in - a nod to Wasteland 1's system. Keywords are also added to the keyword list through perception skill use and environmental description text. For example, if you use perception to examine an object in the world, your observations might reveal a new keyword.
More information.

Looks like they covered the three main issues people had with video, camera, UI, and Keyword.

Whether it is satisfactory remains to be seen, but I'm glad they are considering party dialog. It may just be filler text, but having your party ask about the keywords with whole sentences feels more satisfying than just "Keyword: Help" "Yes we need help". And hopefully that will help address the issue of the dialog being too redundant.

My only concern was the apparent step backward with the dialog system, and what they are describing with a hover tooltip showing the complete question is the perfect compromise IMO between old-school conventions and modern dialog expectations.

It's the kind of thing that one would only ever come up with if a key design pillar was retaining the feel of those classic RPGs like Ultima and Wasteland.

I really love how this project is progressing. A blend of old and new in all the best ways.

The keyword system seems levels above what most other RPGs are doing in terms of reactivity in their conversation systems.
When I first saw the gameplay video my first thought was "its like Morrowind and its topic/keyword conversation system". But reading their example makes this much different.
The idea that the same keyword/sentence will get different responses depending on so many factors seems really cool. Previously gameplay choices, chr stats, chr equipment etc.
But even the order of which you choose to use the keywords in can get you different responses.
I am really excited for this title.

I hope they start off the more major quest dialogues with a voiced sentence or two. Baldur's Gate had the perfect mix. It not only helps with immersion, but breaks up long periods of nothing but back ground noise, music, and effects.

I'm dissapointed that I missed out on the Kickstarter. I don't know what I was thinking as this is looking to be a very special game!

It doesn’t matter if you want the minimalist version, the long skinny version, the short and wide version, or anything in between. We have it for you.

Wow. Kids, this is what is called "interface design". Although if you've been following computer games for the last 30 or so years, you can be forgiven if you've never seen it before.

Back
Top Bottom