Obsidian Entertainment - Tidbits from Tim Cain

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer has posted a piece on Project Eternity that mixes new comments from Tim Cain with the earlier Project Update from J.E. Sawyer that we've aleady seen. Still, there are some worthwhile bits in the article, with Cain confirming guns and a reputation system:
At the core of the rules will be souls. In the Kickstarter video, Josh Sawyer said a character's soul was tied to the magic system. Cain expanded: "No, you don't have to be evil to access any abilities. They aren't categorised like that. Instead, in this world, your soul is connected to your power. Simply put, people who have whole, unbroken souls are more powerful than those people who just have fragments of souls. The nature of these souls, and how they might break, is something we will explore in the game.
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."
Interestingly, Cain notes they have an engine but MCA says it isn't Onyx.
More information.

Multiplayer isn't ruled out. "Interest?" Tim Cain mulled. "Yes, but not if it risks reducing the scope or quality of the single-player game in any way. Single-player gaming is our focus."

Glad to see the commitment to the single-player game. Far too often the development focuses on multiplayer over single-player.

Sounds great, and I like where they are taking it. Not sure what to make of the unbroken vs. broken soul concept though. Perhaps they intend something like the magic vs. technology split in Shadowrun? Maybe there will be advantages to each path?

Guns could be cool; firing off a flintlock pistol before rushing into melee would be a dramatic touch.

for a moment I thought they would steal some knowledge from Dark souls .. and that wouldn't have been a bad thing

I think every information given till now was more or less taken for granted since its Obsidian. I really see no point in listening to new interviews.

Sounds great, and I like where they are taking it. Not sure what to make of the unbroken vs. broken soul concept though. Perhaps they intend something like the magic vs. technology split in Shadowrun? Maybe there will be advantages to each path?

Actually, from what they have said so far, the player character and all of the companions have "unbroken souls" and this is also used as a reason to explain why they're powerful/etc. and ties into the game mechanics (we don't know yet how). So there are no Arcanum paths, but rather, it's more of a lore thing.

Actually, from what they have said so far, the player character and all of the companions have "unbroken souls" and this is also used as a reason to explain why they're powerful/etc. and ties into the game mechanics (we don't know yet how). So there are no Arcanum paths, but rather, it's more of a lore thing.

Perhaps so, but in that case one might expect that most people have a "broken soul", which begs the question "why"? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Back
Top Bottom