The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Yay for double post!

Just discoverd a rather cool russian band Mooncake.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=82684942

Dte, if you already don´t know them, check them out, all songs are awesome and I think quite right down your alley.

Although they don´t list them under their influences, they´re A LOT similar to Yndi Halda, but with distinct melodic approach and somewhat more to the point. Last three songs are by a small margin my favourites.
Great night music.

My latest sampler:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Passenger

Krauss and Plant - Fortune Teller

Fuzztones - Strychnine

THE KINKS - DEATH OF A CLOWN

Detroit Cobras - Shout Bama Lama

Frank Black And The Catholics - The Man Who Was Too Loud

The Clash - Hateful

The Undertones - SHE'S A RUNAROUND

The Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care

Phillip Boa - Container Love

Veruca Salt - Seether

The Dubrovniks - As long as I can listen (to the Ramones)

Hard-Ons - Sit Beside You

The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So

McQueen - The Line Went Dead

Robert Plant - Shine It All Around

Queens of the Stone Age - Little Sister

Sonny Vincent - Funny Now (She Blew It)

The White Stripes - the hardest button to button

Volbeat - Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood

Motörhead - English Rose

Last edited:
Here is something a bit different ...

This week we went to a concert at a church we've never even seen before to dedicate a new pipe organ ... and we were invited because the kids' school chorus teacher has a son who taught our kids piano and trumpet this summer. This kid is a trumpet player in a 5 piece brass ensemble who was selected to tour Europe late this summer, so some of the stuff they played this week was also done on their tour.

Five Cents Sharp - Rumba

Good recommendation, DeepO.

I'll see your Mooncake and raise you a Midsummer. I haven't followed them for a while; it sounds like they've popped it up a bit. In the Snocap box at the bottom are samples from the Moon Shadow ep (the roman numeral tracks). That's specifically what I'm aiming your way.

Covering well-worn territory the past few days- Birthday Massacre, Marine Time Keepers, Curtain Society, well-known 80s stuff. Nothing new and exciting to offer up at this point.

I'll see your Mooncake and raise you a Midsummer.

Sounds pretty smooth dte, especially the aimed-my-way ep :).

Right now, I´m chilling to the trip rock era The Gathering:

Amity

Analog Park

Herbal Movements

Your Troubles Are Over

You Learn About It
I challenge everyone to come up with a sexier video presence than the one Anneke van Giersbergen has in this clip!!

P.S.: I´ve got a sneaking suspicion I´ve already posted some of Gathering´s songs but hopefully not everything is a repost.

I bought their OOP debut ep ("Catch and Blur") way back and really enjoyed it, still do for that matter. The arrangements are sorta busy, but the overall presentation is still very smooth. I bought "Moon Shadows" upon release and was terribly disappointed--just too complicated and jarring for what I was expecting. I figured that complaint for me might work out as a positive for you.

That Which Remains for me. Link available a page or so back.

I'll pick up that gauntlet, mister!

Well, mister, I´ve trown down the leather glove, and you´ve returned with plate armour!
Great and delicate choices, I´d say!!
My favourite was Mojave 3. Its lazy, smokey, sleepy atmosphere, along with the vocalist really got, err, under my skin.

Well, I´m going to add some more to sustain the heat ... aaaand for the fun of it.
Frankly, I don´t watch music videos too often so probably nothing really new here.
Also, I´ve chosen the broad approach to the "sexy" :biggrin:.

Charlyn Marshall - Lived in Bars, live
Those prolonged bluesy end-syllables!

Cassandra Ford - song Metro, band The Vincent Black Shadow
Just throwing some cabaret indie pop punk rock to speed it up for a while. Playful and fun. And well, mainstream-ish, heh.

P.J.Harvey - Henry Lee, duet with Nick Cave
Probably a really obvious one, but seriously, that tension is freakin' incredible. And real. P.J. at her most passionate. In a bit more traditional(?) sense, probably the sexiest video ever. Wicked Game doesn´t stand a chance :).

Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter, live
Maturity, fragility, faraway look, the best version of the song. I´m torn between staring in awe or give the woman a hug:). Well, hug´s not really an option, so... A beautiful, deep kind of sexiness, I´d say. Of course, most of her other live piano performances would probably fit into this post as well, but this particular one I find to be the most special. Oh, and that girlish smile near the end!

Diamanda Galás - Gloomy Sunday
This is probably the biggest stretch to the formula, but for me, hearing Diamanda Galás performing my favourite song sung by Billie Holiday is so fatal, dark and symbolic, it´s, uh, sexy as HELL. Literally!

Ok, that´s it. It was quite a:party2: making this post.

P.S.: Hm, I see I got kinda carried away on this one. Well ... women,

Last edited:
Funny, that, about Bulat Okudzhava -- I really ought to like him, but somehow I just... don't. I get the weird impression that he's saying what his listeners want to hear, not what he wants to say. Or perhaps I just don't get him.

I'm not a video watcher either. I tried to think of lovely front ladies and then hit youtube to see what I could find.

Siouxsie Sioux (what she lacks in natural beauty, she makes up for with attitude)
Margo Timmons
Juliana Hatfield (there were better "sexy" vids, but this has always been my favorite tune of hers and I didn't know there was a video for it--I'll offer this one for the challenge)
Julianne Regan (mind you, we had slightly different fashion sense back in 88 when this came out)

For me today, Victoria Lloyd, who probably won't win any beauty pageants but has some serious pipes:
Blinking Tears by Claire Voyant
(the "video" is worthless, particularly given that they show the "Love is Blind" and self-titled covers for a track that's on "Time and the Maiden")

edit- hold the phone! didn't know this track was out there. Helen would qualify for the challenge, but you'll have to trust me on that one since it's a non-video video. Anyway, enjoy a great tune.
"Trip Seat" by Thee Heavenly Music Association

Last edited:
You can't have a sexy singer competition without Tori Amos, so I'm glad Deepo came through! I'd like to contribute but you guys are already hitting all the high notes.

Hoorah for redheads!!:w00t:

Here's one for you, Jabber. She doesn't "star" since she plays keys for the band. Being happily married, I didn't even notice those few glimpses of Camille Driscoll.

Back
Top Bottom