Gothic 3 Game Installs but does not 'start'

Temptress

Watchdog
Hi guys,

YES, I have searched and searched on forums here and for JoWood on this issue but no one seems to be able to get a fix. So, here goes:

I put the disk in the disk drive and installed the game without issue. The "start" screen shows up and I clicky the 'start game' words. That screen goes away and the words: "Gothic 3" show up as I hear my disc drive start to whirl. Then these words come to the screen:

"Please insert the Gothic III CD/DVD into your drive and start the game again. Do not remove the disc while playing."

I take the disc out and try again. A few times with disc inserted and a few times without. I even try it in the CD tray and that picks up nothing. (It is a DVD after all.)

I install the current patch. 1.12 I think and nothing different happens.

Now, a few things I have that have been mentioned in other forums:

I have some form of Nero on my computer but in my msconfig it is not running on startup or at all. I haven't used it in a year or so. I looked for a Daemon file and have one in my system32 file but have no idea what it is. (I only mention tehse as they were brought up as DVD drive issues at one point.)

I tried to update every driver I have but am current with them all now.

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Hard Drive: 160 G
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE (Microsoft Corporation)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Display Info: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Pointing Device: Mouse
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio

I ran the Dxdiagnostic and every page had No ERRORs. (Too huge file to post and have no webpage to upload from if I needed to post that too.)

So, is there hope for me?

TIA
Loves ~T

(Lastly; Don't yell at me if there is a post here that answetrs this. I did look and I may have missed it. I'm just so worked up at this point . Been spending the last 24 hours trying to play Gothic & AND NeverWinter Nights 2 but have had problems with each. Different issues entirely.)

At risk of being condemned by any number of other members, I must confess this one thing. I use a No-CD/Fixed Executable! Don't get me wrong, I own a copy of Gothic 3 (purchased in the UK and brought to me by a friend). But this game spins the DVD at the beginning and end of every load, and that adds an extra 10 to 20 second to this already inhumanly lengthy process (plus, I don't appreciate the sound). And of course you're going to have to reload over and over each time you get killed. Just don't forget to keep the original files, so you can update your game if or when a patch gets released.

Try to start the game through the DVD´s autostart menu.
Then reinstall the copy protection driver if necessary. It´s somewhere on the DVD.

"NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE"
Hey do you have directx 9 installed and can your card even use dx9?

Have you tried installing and running it on another compter at a friends or work PC?

"Realtek AC97 Audio"
This an onboard (motherboard) sound chip, if so whats your motehrboard?

i have a question for you... do u have gothic 3 boudht from store (original disk) or are using a pirated copy...
and even if u could start gothic 3 i dunno if you could run it properly. due to your rig!

Actually as pointed out in other posts its the original store bought games people are having trouble with apparently the versions you speak of removed the troublesome protection causing owers problems.

I've known T for years; she wouldn't be using a pirated copy!! Her rig is not up to scratch IMO!!

I believe the machine is fine - it should at least start, though it may not be the fastest. I agree with hwfanatic. ;)

Ok offended redhead here:

I don't pirate software! I never have. I pay for every one of the games I play. . . . .*stops and realizes she saw a familiar 'face' as she scrolled down in fury and scrolls back up* . . . . .errr. . . . .Ummm . . . . What Corwin (To the rescue :) and OMG it has been years. Wow! How time flies.) said.

No Longer Offended redhead here:

Thank you for oyur time and responses.

@Gorath: I will try to find the protection thingy and run it. Incidentally I have tried running the dvd from the autorun menu on disc already to no avail. (And HI!)

@Acleacius: I don't know my motherboard sad to say. I didn't put this comp together.

@hwfanatic: I have been sorely tempted to do the nocd thing. But, I can't bring myself to do so. Would rather deal with my crappy comp issues. *sighs* But I thank you. (Hi to you too!)

Nice to see some familair names and soothing faces. :)

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Loves ~T

sry if i have insulted you in any way! sorry!!! but i was just trying to help! so please don't be upset! i heard of people that had pirated G3 (insolents!!!) and it didn't start or ahd other problems. sry again...

My dear gaboru93,

I harbor no issues. I wouldn't have posted like I did if I truly did. As it is I felt a tad silly being upset by it so I tried to poke fun at myself, albeit not well enough to grant a chuckle I guess but an attempt nonetheless. :D

Thank you for replying and please, no need for sry's :)

<------ Hot Headed RedHead inside. Prone to outbursts and fits of naughty giggles.

THAT must be my new signature. ;)

Loves ~T

Incidentally I have not found anything on the disc that resembles "copy protection drivers"

Any idea what the file is actually called?

TIA!

Control the Gothic 3-DVD for flaws, scratches or dirt.

How old is your DVD-Drive ? After some years of use the internal lenses can get dirty and the drive becomes unreliable. Copy Protected DVDs or CDs are often the first that can't be recognized any more, because todays copy protections rely often on intentionally burned errors on the discs.

Some copy protections don't accept virtual drive software like daemon tools.

"Prone to outbursts and fits of naughty giggles."
Yummy.

What about my other two questions Directx9 and trying to install and run on another PC?
Maybe a secret naughty girlfriends PC? ;)

Or the more boring firends PC or work PC? :)

ok temptress if you say so...:lol: ;)

@Acleacius: I DID install DirectX C when I installed Gothic3. It's always run fine on my system to date so doubt that is the issue.

I installed it on a laptop and it ran fine without slowness issues. The laptop was made the same time my desktop was made and worked quite nicely so I gues it isn't the disk. :/

@gaboru93: I do! :D And thank you for understanding again!

Well it makes sence to me as that is one of the worst video cards made, no offense. :)
So I am betting your Laptop has a much better video card, even upgrading it's drivers would likely improve your performance as well.

If you ever do get around to upgrading, I hope you have a chance to ask here about possiblities. :)
As an example if you wanted to stick with NVidia they have, geforce 6600 gt agp 256mb $92 and older ATI RADEON 9800SE goes for about $65 but won't be useful for as long since it very much older, but the 2 games you listed can be played.

Does a GeForce 5700LE support shader model 1.4 ?

Ok, so far I have defragged, cleaned disk and reinstalled games.

This game still won't 'start.'

At this point I will definately take advice on graphics cards though. I gravitate towards Nvidia because of the performance I have had in the past with my other computers.

@Acleacius: I also posted this in the NWN2 forum as I have an issue there as well so you don't have to post the advice in 2 places unless you wish too. LOL. Gets tough with all around issues and posts! I appreciate your help immensely, BTW. Thanks!

I am going to continue to try to start this game as spome peeps have said they can start their game every so often. I just haven't had that happen yet.

Would my graphics card, or lack thereof, cause my game NOT to start? I didn't think that would be possible but am unsure.

Loves ~T

Back
Top Bottom