Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition AMA @ Reddit

BG3 please!

I look forward to BGEE but I will wait and see how well-received it is.

Every new game will be D&D 4E for sure. So, BG3 wouldn't be the same as BG1 or 2. The bhaal spawn story has definitely come to an end. A new game would only lend the name (and maybe the engine).

Every new game will be D&D 4E for sure. So, BG3 wouldn't be the same as BG1 or 2. The bhaal spawn story has definitely come to an end. A new game would only lend the name (and maybe the engine).

That makes me sad ;(

I made a conscious choice not to play 4th Ed and switched to Pathfinder instead, which preserve the flavour of 3/3.5 without homogenizing everything and killing Vancian magic. I'm happy to play with 4th Ed-like mechanics in other games, but not a BG title.

Only thing that makes me sad is that they have to use Baldur's Gate title for something that will be totally unrelated to Bhaalspawn Saga. I don't want to see BG3. I just want a new game (that isn't shit) with D&D setting with a DIFFERENT title.

I will most likely buy BG:EE but not going to buy BG2:EE. Why should I? It is already perfect as it is.

WotC has realized their 4e push has hurt them. They just reprinted fancy editions of the 1E AD&D books after all. I really don't think future games will have to be 4E.. D&D Next is already being put through public playtesting and with the reprint of the 1E books... well. I think it's best not to make any absolute proclamations.

D&D Next is already being put through public playtesting

Yes. An rep once told me that they wanted "the best of both worlds" with the next edition.
And he openly admitted that - at least in Germany - "players had been running away from it" (the 4th edition).

Besides, I was told by a rep on the Games Com that the "Neverwinter" MMORPG will be using the 4th edition.

Only thing that makes me sad is that they have to use Baldur's Gate title for something that will be totally unrelated to Bhaalspawn Saga. I don't want to see BG3. I just want a new game (that isn't shit) with D&D setting with a DIFFERENT title.

I will most likely buy BG:EE but not going to buy BG2:EE. Why should I? It is already perfect as it is.

Honestly, why does the title matter? It's basically for marketing and doesn't take away anything from the originals. Did Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance make you not like BG1 & 2?

WotC has realized their 4e push has hurt them. They just reprinted fancy editions of the 1E AD&D books after all. I really don't think future games will have to be 4E.. D&D Next is already being put through public playtesting and with the reprint of the 1E books… well. I think it's best not to make any absolute proclamations.
It's not only the rules that changed but also the lore. That's the even more difficult thing about it. I don't think they will do a setback or a restart like the Comic industry did for Spiderman and Superman. And if D&D Next is already on the horizon, for me it's even more clear. They will make this one obligatory, because naturally that one will be the savior and a new game would be an important vehicle to spread the mechanics. If 5E is already that close to beta testing it will release while BG3 is still in the making. Enough time to implement the new rules. They did so for 3E with NWN and IWD2, too. But they will never return to the most complicated rulework (ETW0, dices) in D&D history, I take a bet on this. Nostalgic releases of 1E doesn't proof anything for me. It's not uncommon, White Wolf did the same with Vampire. Doesn't mean WoD will be oWoD.

500k is a pipedream. The original sold 2-3 m at most.

Game industry is bigger now plus its going to be on Steam which with its name recognition they'll make a killing when it inevitably ends up on a sale. And that's just PC. Throw in iPad plus potentially Android and Windows 8 tablets and they may well surpass that.

Even though I own the original CD versions, as well as the gog.com ver. of 1 & 2...I purchased this EE Ver.

I had begun the game a few times over the years, but never completed it.

This is a very good excuse to begin again and finally finish!

Being able to play @ 1920x1080 will be well worth the cost ($17.99 per-order price) to me!

:)

"I'm really hoping to break 500,000 copies across all platforms. It is a great game at a low price. I'll speculate with those numbers we could persuade the parties involved to do a BG3"
When I see terms like "enhanced" or "reloaded" in game titles, I throw up a little in my mouth. Fool me once…

Have you ever played The Witcher EE? Or Gothic 3 / VTMB with fan patches?

Some games are much better with the "enhanced" version,

Have you ever played The Witcher EE? Or Gothic 3 / VTMB with fan patches?

Some games are much better with the "enhanced" version,

I already know what everyone is going to say to that so I'll just go ahead and say it...

Let's be honest, the games you just listed were pretty mediocre in their original release states, especially Gothic 3 and VtM-B. Otoh, Baldur's Gate was always a great game to begin with.

I'm all for the EE version though. Anything that might re-spark interest in BG and the Infinity Engine is a good thing imo.

It wasn't a great game to begin with. It was pretty tedious and the characters moved too slow. All the mechanics made it overwhelming

I had to play Icewind Dale to take a look at it again, and by then a lot of the movements were fixed either by patches, boots of speed or fan made modkits. Byt then I was used to the modkits too, so it took some time to realize this is what Ultima 9 should have looked like.

They'll get 500k at least on iPad for sure. Even if they don't, the development cost on this game has been really low compared to most big games so they will make some money.

I'm not going to buy it at $20 though. I've already played this game.

As for the new Neverwinter, I wouldn't be surpised if BG:EE is released before it is. There's nothing exciting about that MMOG that is going to distinguish as a better option than DDO. Its not Neverwinter Nights enough for those old players, Forge is not enough of a feature, and neither is 4E as has been stated. The artwork is significantly poorer than DDO. The users they will get are going to need to make significant purchases of their lottery lockboxes which has already split the companies other communities which is probably where they will blled most of their players from.

It wasn't a great game to begin with. It was pretty tedious and the characters moved too slow. All the mechanics made it overwhelming

I had to play Icewind Dale to take a look at it again, and by then a lot of the movements were fixed either by patches, boots of speed or fan made modkits. Byt then I was used to the modkits too, so it took some time to realize this is what Ultima 9 should have looked like.

Would that be fact or just your opinion? ;)

I never had any of the issues you describe, and I never used a single mod with any of the IE games.

Back
Top Bottom