Age of Decadence - January Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The January update for Age of Decadence talks about what happened in the last month and also gives some insights into how dialog options work, which is shown by a large amount of screenshots.
As I'm sure you know, Steam has kindly greenlighted us and we're in the process of signing paperwork and such. They seem to be a bunch of friendly and helpful people, which is always nice. The "greenlighening" has attracted a lot of attention and increased the number of pre-orders, so we already feel the effect.

In unrelated news, we entered the demo into IGF 2013 in Oct. I've never thought that we would win, obviously, but hoped for a nomination. Didn't happen, sadly. The judge couldn't get out of the town and felt that the demo was "seriously limited". I explained but I guess the damage was already done. Oh well...

Working on a location aptly named Inferiae - (Rom. Antiq.) Sacrifices offered to the souls of deceased heroes or friends. Greatly expanded the main character's dialogue file, almost to the point of getting lost in the branches myself. You have a lengthy chat with this character and if she doesn't like your answers, you'll be offered as the aforementioned sacrifice.

Added another path there. Kinda tried another angle to see if it works and it worked. Added two more options if you do end up becoming a sacrifice and tied one of the options to another location, which fixed one of the issues in that location as well. So, all and all, I'm very pleased with this month's progress.

Now, on to the screenshots. House Aurelian. There are several scenarios there that determine how the conversation would go:

- agreed to find the temple for Antidas; serving House Daratan in a low capacity
- Daratan's praetor
- left Teron early, either in AG1, or after stealing Carrinas' documents, or any other case
- you are on Gaelius' personal shitlist, in which case it's not a conversation you want to have
More information.

bottom line guys, RELEASE DATE, RELEASE DATE, RELEASE DATE. FOCUS.

In unrelated news, we entered the demo into IGF 2013 in Oct. I've never thought that we would win, obviously, but hoped for a nomination. Didn't happen, sadly. The judge couldn't get out of the town and felt that the demo was "seriously limited". I explained but I guess the damage was already done. Oh well...[/QOUTE]

I understand his frustration with the judge. Also, you can submit demos of unfinished games to IGF?

I forget, what's their issues of crowd funding? This seems like the perfect product. If Vince asked for 200k I wouldn't be surprised if he got 7 figures.

I believe the short answer is, More money won't mean a quicker release.

So you're saying no matter how many doctors you put on it, it still takes 9 months to deliver a baby?

What I'm saying is a little cash would free up that resource they might need or could allow them some more tools to help.

How is quitting their jobs and working on the game full time not going to get the game released sooner.

Lead Balloon

This game strikes me as a lead balloon. I played the whole demo and was underwhelmed after years (years.... years.....) of waiting, hype and discussion.

I think it will release to a few hundred die-hard fans but overall fail.....

Argh, I know that sounds so horribly cynical but I just can't shake the feeling after the demo..... it was so far from what I expected after all the talk on the forums about choice and consequences and an open concept world like Fallout 1/2 etc.

Sigh.

That's why i didn't finish the demo, plenty of games to go around until this comes out. no rush.

That's why i didn't finish the demo, plenty of games to go around until this comes out. no rush.

I'm not being mean but don't you mean if it ever comes out. It's been more than a couple of years now. The demo at least showed the project was still alive.

How is quitting their jobs and working on the game full time not going to get the game released sooner.

Vince, the lead developer, did quit his job and is working on the game full time. At this point, I think it's ridiculous to think this game won't get finished. The demo shows a fully functional RPG experience. What more evidence do you want?

Game's coming out for sure. Still, it's a little worrying to see him talk about adding stuff at this point. He should just be polishing, polishing, polishing, one would think. Can't keep perfecting it forever. Gotta release at some point.

That's what polishing is (for me as a writer). While Nick and Oscar are working on their respective areas, I'm polishing the storylines, which is no different than a writer editing and rewriting parts of his book before sending the final draft to a publisher.

We are not adding any locations or features. I'm going through all locations and look for opportunities to add more dialogues, quest solutions, ties to other locations and such. Occasionally, I rewrite dialogues if I feel that the game needs something different here or there.

And yes, the game will obviously be released. Nobody goes that far only to stop at the finishing line. The estimated release date is Oct 2013.

I reallt like what I saw in the Demo, didn't finish it though. Just tried for a couple of hours, decided that I liked it, and choose to not play anymore until release. I think it will do just fine, the Steam greenlight shows there's still plenty of interest in the game.

I thought people here really liked the demo but apparently I´m the only one
I think I have played it through about twenty times with very diverging results and experiences according to the character I choose to play which is why I am actually still eager to play the full game
Although you could perhaps make a case for certain developers to stop procrastinate and finally release

We are not adding any locations or features. I'm going through all locations and look for opportunities to add more dialogues, quest solutions, ties to other locations and such. Occasionally, I rewrite dialogues if I feel that the game needs something different here or there.

And yes, the game will obviously be released. Nobody goes that far only to stop at the finishing line. The estimated release date is Oct 2013.

Ah, cool.

Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom