Gothic 2 Gothic 2 NOTR under vista 64

Holy moley! I got it working by installing only the GothicStarter 2.6a (World of Gothic: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=90) and nothing else. Now the game launches OK and I've got the voice-overs. Yipee! (Note: By installing I mean unzipping the files and placing them in the correct Gothic 2 folders.)

However, reading Ondo's reply above, I think that would have fixed it as well. I suspected something like that, but didn't have the l337 skillz to figure it out. Thanks for the advice. For now, I'll stick with no community patches, but the GothicStarter. I've finally got G2 NOTR running on Win7 and that's swell! :)

Afterthought: How come Ergonpandilus' and Coaster's games worked with the community patch and mine didn't? Shouldn't the sound files been renamed for them as well? Well, who cares. The main thing is, we all got G2 running on Win7. Two thumbs up.

Afterthought: How come Ergonpandilus' and Coaster's games worked with the community patch and mine didn't? Shouldn't the sound files been renamed for them as well? Well, who cares. The main thing is, we all got G2 running on Win7. Two thumbs up.

Great! :w00t:

There are some differences between the versions. Like I have to two version, the old one I was unable install no mather what the installer just refused, but the newer version worked perfectly. Though, the both are CD versions of the original game.

I tried the Nvidia fixes, it made both games very unstable and Gothic II unplayably slow, even though it did seem to fix the problem of the scenery disappearing. It looks I'll have to wait for Nvidia to fix their drivers, although it's been on the list of known issues in the Forceware release notes for ages now.

I tried the Nvidia fixes, it made both games very unstable and Gothic II unplayably slow, even though it did seem to fix the problem of the scenery disappearing. It looks I'll have to wait for Nvidia to fix their drivers, although it's been on the list of known issues in the Forceware release notes for ages now.

Weird, I've never had issues with any of the Gothic games while I had an nVidia card in my system, but I've had problems with every game with ATI cards.

With Gothic 1 I had the infamous missing inventory bug, where the items in your inventory were completely invisible, although you could still see the descriptions. With Gothic 2 I had screwy textures in the sky, and with Gothic 3 I had missing shadows until the newly released CP 1.74.

Recently replayed G2 NotR on a PC with Win 7 64 bit and ATI 5870 graphics card. Had a few crashes, but other than that I didn't have any problems.

Weird, I've never had issues with any of the Gothic games while I had an nVidia card in my system, but I've had problems with every game with ATI cards.

It's a fairly recent issue in Vista and Win7, they were both working fine until about the 190 drivers or so. From the latest release notes:

"Gothic 1/Gothic 2 –there is corruption and the game crashes."

I could revert to an older version but I need the newer drivers to fix other problems, in particular the infamous general protection faults in Mass Effect.

I have other strange problem, cannot even use this gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev1.exe patch because the "Installieren" button is always inactive even when I choose/type in some directory to the field above. Patch gothic2_fix-1.30.0.0.exe works OK, ie. I can run installation but G2 does not work properly with it. I have Win 7 g64bit...

I have other strange problem, cannot even use this gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev1.exe patch because the "Installieren" button is always inactive even when I choose/type in some directory to the field above. Patch gothic2_fix-1.30.0.0.exe works OK, ie. I can run installation but G2 does not work properly with it. I have Win 7 g64bit…

I recall having this problem with the gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev1 as well. It worked for me once, then on a second reinstall (one of many, before I got G2 to work) it didn't and was just like with you, with the "Installieren" button inactive. I've got no idea why it was like this, as nothing really changed between the installs, but that's how it went, i.e. it seemed like a random glitch. However, as I've written above, I didn't actually need that fix to get G2 running on Win7 (32-bit). I just installed the GothicStarter 2.6a (see my previous post) and G2 NOTR launches and works like a charm.

Then again, I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for. What do you mean by "not working properly"? Doesn't launch at all? Doesn't run too well (poor performance, graphical glitches, sound problems)? Something else?

Omg im so pissed!!! im trying to start gothic 2 on my comp. but the screen wont even come up!! i have windows7 64 bit and when i press on play game the whole thing just goes away and i have my desktop but on taskmanager in processes it says the process is running!! i tried the gothic starter thing and alot of other crap but it all wont work,,,, any sugestions???

I grabbed the Steam version cheap and it works perfectly on Win 7 64 bit.

I grabbed the Steam version cheap and it works perfectly on Win 7 64 bit.

You're using an ATI card, right?

This thread got me curious, so I spent the last hour trying to get Gothic 2 Gold (Gothic Universe retail version) running on Win7 64bit.

No luck… It seemed fine at first, but as soon as I try to leave Xardas's tower, the graphics become corrupted, and the game slows down to less than 1 FPS.

A quick search comes up with the opinion that you can't run G2 in Win7 64 if you have an nVidia card.

I also tried what Ergonpandilus suggested on the previous page, but neither of those patches would install for me.

I doesn't work with the nvidia drivers which supposedly fixed the issues?

Omg im so pissed!!! im trying to start gothic 2 on my comp. but the screen wont even come up!! i have windows7 64 bit and when i press on play game the whole thing just goes away and i have my desktop but on taskmanager in processes it says the process is running!! i tried the gothic starter thing and alot of other crap but it all wont work,,,, any sugestions???

Try this workaround. I used it successfully for Gothic 1 and Win7 and while it isn't slick, it works (at least for me). Launch Gothic twice (so you've got two gothic.exe's running), then open the program manager and close rundll32.exe. One of the two gothic.exe's shuts down with it, but the other launches and presto, you're able to play Gothic.

I doesn't work with the nvidia drivers which supposedly fixed the issues?

Doh…! *facepalm*

That was the problem. I didn't realize the Forceware drivers I had installed were from last June. After downloading the newest set, Gothic 2 seems to being running fine.

The only problem I have now is trying to get it to run in widescreen. I was able to manually set the resolution to 1920x1200 in the Gothic.ini, but it resets back to 800x600 every time I restart the game.

*Edit* Solution is to change "extendedMenu=0" to "extendedMenu=1" in the Gothic.ini.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me, I run gothic 2 NOTR but it is black screen only, and nothing happens. Anyone have this problem?
I tried, all fixes and patches, I also tried gothic starter, I have latest nvidia drivers
Maybe I install patches in wrong folders, I install everything to gothic II, no to system or _work, only starter files was extracted there.

Thanks in advance

Are you playing the Steam version? It should load easily. The original boxed version would never work for me in a 64 bit OS.

I am thinking of getting G1 and G2 from GOG.com. Does their version works fine on Win7 64bit version on ATI 4850 card please?

I am thinking of getting G1 and G2 from GOG.com. Does their version works fine on Win7 64bit version on ATI 4850 card please?

They should run fine. I was able to get the retail versions of both games running in Win7 64bit.

The only issue I have is that they don't have true widescreen support. Even at 1920x1200, they look sort of "smushed" on my 24" 16:10 monitor.

Back
Top Bottom