Someone tries to sell Belgium on eBay

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Yahoo Article
Split possible

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Hidden among the porcelain fox hounds and Burberry tablecloths on sale at eBay.be this week was an unusual item: "For Sale: Belgium, a Kingdom in three parts ... free premium: the king and his court (costs not included)."
ADVERTISEMENT

The odd ad was posted by one disgruntled Belgian in protest at his country's political crisis which reached a 100-day landmark Tuesday with no end in sight to the squabbling between Flemish and Walloon politicians.
(...)

If we buy it, do we get free beer?!! :)

It has been in the press here, and ebay already removed it.

Belgium, by the way, currently is turmoiled by a quite big political crisis right now, and once again it's over some states wanting to separate themselves from the others.

The problem is that the Walloons consider every proposition for a more federal state as a separistic act. Madame Joel 'Non!' Milquet is absolutely the most responsable person for this crisis. When the discussion was about NMBS (Belgian railways) and all the Flemmish politicians wanted was a representative of the 2 (3) regions in the board (today it's only the federal governement), she said 'non!'.
This is the way to split up Belgium, by denying what the majority wants. That pukehead from your add has to get his figures straight. When the politicians of Walloon don't change their attitude to the hand that feeds them (around € 10 billion goes to them every year), almost 80% of the Flemmish people is for a split. That doesn't mean they want the split, but that means that we want to see a real change in the southern part of Belgium.

Maybe Walmart will buy it and turn it into a strip-mall for Europe. :D

How high did the bidding go before eBay pulled it?

Maybe Walmart will buy it and turn it into a strip-mall for Europe. :D
Walmart wasn't so successful over here :giggle:... no idea how they fared (or do fare in) Belgium...

I hate Wal-Mart and all it stands for. They make Microsoft look like Peter Pan.>:O ;)

I'm sorry to hear about Belgium's woes. I remember Bartacus discussing in another thread all the various political parties in his country and being very impressed that almost every possible viewpoint had representation. It's too bad a few people can stop a consensus being reached and throw things into disarray like this.

Walmart wasn't so successful over here :giggle:... no idea how they fared (or do fare in) Belgium...

I don't believe there are any Walmarts in Belgium (there might be, but I've never seen one).
We do have Germany's MediaMarkt. :D

Yet another pest, but still a wee tad better than the big W. I'm glad Walmart beat a hasty retreat after they found out that their philosphy wasn't compatible with local mentality.

No, according to the poll from één, about 42% were for a split in Flanders and only about 16% in Wallonia.
Indeed, that's why I said: get your numbers straight. Read GVA a bit more and you'll see that when you ask your question in a different way : When there isn't a step on federalisation (a change of attitude by the politicans of our southern friends), do you want to split? And it's on that specific question a vast majority answers: yes, do split up.

And that's exactly like I see it too. A split isn't necessary for me, but a large step in federalisation is. If that can't be done and mme 'non' keeps with her standard answer, the split will be a fact instead of a utopia.

bart it might not happen often that I agree with some one for 100% but I do agree with you.

I even voted for cd&v-NVA

10 million? they can have belgium for a lot less for me, but with an indepent flanders :p
Wallmart? never seen it but Mediamarkt is here yes

Bad news -> The french speaking politicians still think they can rule over us with their minority. I don't think Belgium will split, even now. The fact remains that we are a step closer to independence then to coöporation.

I just think the frech are doing hard for nothing. They don't want BHV separated but if it doesn't happen, well it is against the constition.

The flemisch part of the senate can't seperate it either, well they can but then there would be a conflict of interests.

Because of the french speakers belgian is indeed closer to his end than before, but It won't happen yet

I've read today that Begium isn't able to create goverment and for 150 days now Belgium lives without it. Any signs of improvment? Or you maybe like this situation?

I would have thought that to be the perfect situation!! :)

Back
Top Bottom