Original Sin - How I Caused a Kickstarter to Launch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Swen Vincke has written an article on his blog with information on the launch of the Kickstarter for Divinity: Original Sin.
Launching your Kickstarter campaign in the middle of Torment’s campaign ? (In case you didn’t know yet, Larian launched a Kickstarter campaign for Divinity: Original Sin today)
Well…
And you are doing this without any notable PR ? Are you bananas ?
Well…
And you’re doing this during the week of GDC and PAX ?
Well…
it’s a long story…
Since I don’t have that much time right now because I find myself doing plenty of work I thought I was only going to be doing next week, I’ll keep it short, but it is worth writing about.
You see, we didn’t plan on announcing our Kickstarter today. But somebody else decided for us, and that somebody was…
Myrthos !
Yes, the Myrthos from RPGWatch, my first stop in the morning to get my RPG news. He wrote a really positive hands-on article about Divinity: Original Sin (calling it Divine Divinity on steroids) for which we’re really grateful, but…
He published it today!
And… we only expected it to be published once the Kickstarter page was live, next week…
So…
Everything suddenly went into overdrive. Now for clarity, Myrthos is not to blame – it’s bad communication on our side combined with the complexities of running a Kickstarter campaign from Belgium that caused this, but that’s a different story altogether. But still, it did leave us with a major problem.
To be honest I don't recall it being under embargo. I have several hours of audio recordings I went through for the article and it wasn't on those either. The only embargo was on not mentioning the Kickstarter itself.
It's a good thing I am very slow in making my articles I suppose.
More information.

I don't read it as blaming you in any way - The tone sounds more like Sven appreciated the positive coverage and decided to push the button early for that reason. In any case we already knew they were going to do a Kickstarter at some stage, just not exactly when.

And the games starting to do pretty well + hopefully will do better when other sites catch up with it. Notice it's in the top ten on Kicktraq now (no idea how they calculate those rankings).

It's a pretty good pitch too. Reckon the two game Dragon Commander tier will be popular.

Notice it's in the top ten on Kicktraq now (no idea how they calculate those rankings).

Kicktraq is based on "income", it ranks the kickstarter that are making the most money, but I'm not sure if it's by hour or day...

And they have to put a Dragon Commander add-on so I can up my pledge ;)

Kicktraq is based on "income", it ranks the kickstarter that are making the most money, but I'm not sure if it's by hour or day…

Original Sin made more money today than one entry there made since launch. Seems strange that is below it in the list.

Original Sin made more money today than one entry there made since launch. Seems strange that is below it in the list.

hmm... maybe there is some #of pledges involved too.

Myrthos was very, very naughty. :D

I'll pledge because he speaks highly of the watch. That kind of behaviour has to be endorsed.

They have that one! At 65$ you get both games. A no-brainer for me since I imagine I will like Dragon Commander quite a bit although RT-strategy is normally not my cup of tea.

They have that one! At 65$ you get both games. A no-brainer for me since I imagine I will like Dragon Commander quite a bit although RT-strategy is normally not my cup of tea.

I'm already at $65, but I was thinking of going to $95. Although, I can always buy Dragon Commander later as well.

I still have a few days to make up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom