RPG Codex - New Obsidian Game at GDC 2014

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPG Codex has news that obsidian will reveal a new game at GDC 2014. Usually I wouldn't bother with this, but it might interest a few viewers.

This is actually news from last year, but I don't recall anyone reporting on it yet.

A while ago, Bradley University posted one of those alumni profile articles on an Obsidian Entertainment employee named Katrina Schnell. According to BU, she sang and played the violin for the Pillars of Eternity trailer as an intern last year, and will in January become an Associate Producer for an unannounced project. I guess that's what it takes to land a producer role. Schnell indeed.

More interestingly, the article adds:

This isn't the only game Katrina is working on through Obsidian ..."that game is still a secret and will be announced at Game Developers Conference in San Francisco in 2014!​"

The 2014 GDC will be held in San Fransisco starting March 17th.
More information.

If it isn't F:NV2, I will not preorder it as an act of protest!

Well, being Obsidian is automatically in my radar and being a RPG the only thing which can impede me of buying it is being another game like Stick of Truth (aka being based in a franchise I don't like)

Well, being Obsidian is automatically in my radar and being a RPG the only thing which can impede me of buying it is being another game like Stick of Truth (aka being based in a franchise I don't like)

Another game that (partly) shall not be mentioned by name here? I thought the only one was *looks at dte* a certain M&M game.

pibbur who like the hunting kzin from LOTR don't look forward to the ????? ???? game.

The question is whether it'll be a AA(A?) project or something significanlty downsized. Given that they have all the big names (MCA, Cain, Sawyer, Ziets) busy with other projects I'm not sure how interesting it could end up being. Just hope it's not a South Park/Dungeon Siege 3 type of contract.

By a strange miracle, they could have picked up that Aliens RPG again :)

Hehe, ok, that's not happening. I can't say I'm too excited about this, tbh.

Icewind Dale III
Dead meat, infinity engine, Josh Sawyer again as lead designer = not buying.

Arcanum II
Instabuy. If only it would be possible to make that game. There should be a law to lose legal rights on a name in 5 years if a sequel of a game is not made.

The much demanded Dungeon Siege IV.
No buy, I went for DS3 on sale and got rediculously bad sidekick AI and obviously a game made only for co-op. Did they perhaps copy Tommy AI script from NWN? Looks like they did. Or at least a huge part of it. I'd refuse DS4 even if they payed me to play it.

Pillars of eternity is pretty much Baldurs Gate 3 / ice wind dale 3. I don't know what you'd be looking for in IWD3? A forgotten realms setting?

Icewind Dale had completely different gameplay than BG. There's no reason Obsidian couldn't develop both Icewind Dale & Eternity… well, aside from the whole licensing/funding debacle.

Their respective deadlines notwithstanding, I thought that the ID sequel and FNV: Honest Hearts were generally ill-conceived piles of rubbish. And so I would hope to God that Josh Sawyer wouldn't be put in charge of such potential projects - sorry, Josh, I just don't like it when you're Project Lead.

Or, what about this:

Jon van Caneghem leaves EA to begin work with Obsidian on a new IP, set in the style of M&M and Wizardry 8.

Or, EA, disgusted with SW:Tor's less-than-stellar performance, looks to Obsidian to develop KotOR III.

Come on guys and gals, dream big ;)

…since it's Obsidian, I'll leave out my personal desires for Chris Taylor to come out of the woodwork with plans for Supreme Commander 3.

Best case scenario: The Star Wars RPG that they supposedly pitched not too long ago.

Worst case scenario: Some hack 'n slasher

(IMO of course)

Best case scenario: The Star Wars RPG that they supposedly pitched not too long ago.

Tell me , would you really buy a EA published Obsidian made Star Wars game?

Because this is the only way it's going to happen...

Asdraguuhl, isn't the worst case scenario a nonRPG phonegame? :D

Back
Top Bottom