Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch v1.03 Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another update on the next patch for Dredmor. Full patch notes are on the Gaslamp blog but here's the intro:
EDIT: Windows users, your patch has been sent to Valve, and we will let you know as soon as it is up. OS X users, we’re testing your patch now, and it might be up a little later, but certainly no later than tomorrow morning. The Changelog below has been updated to reflect the final last, few things that snuck in. — Nicholas
First a quick reminder: today is the last day you can get Dungeons of Dredmor at 10% off – save all of fifty glorious cents. That said, onto the meat:
Some folks have been asking what the deal is with the promised 1.0.3 patch, so here’s the deal. The patch is done; I’m not adding any more code to it. However, we still have to give it a quick playthrough tomorrow before we can let it loose upon the world. This is to make sure that we haven’t added any more crash bugs, corrupted save games, or all the rest of it; hopefully this turns out to be a good strategy. I would test it myself, but it’s now 3:30 AM in Victoria, and doctors keep telling me that I need at least four hours of sleep, preferably more. Foolish men of medicine, what do they know?
The 2X UI scaler has been moved to patch 1.0.4 (the next patch), as has in-client leaderboards. Doing the 2X UI properly – making it all pretty and stuff – is going to take at least another couple of days. I think, however, we have now taken care of most of the other major complaints.
More information.

Watch out-- as the goofballs at gasbag games say you will lose your save games. They just shrug their shoulders. Bad decision. Hopefully they will fix this but their posture is not to fix it. With that kind of business culture it is only a matter of time before the next screw job on a customer. How can a $5 game screw you?
Time
Follow the blogs, get excited, play the game. Spend time on it vs other activities and then be repeatedly frustrated by bad quality.
That is how. Gasbag joins the ranks of crappy dev's and gives Indie game dev's a bad name.

Watch out— as the goofballs at gasbag games say you will lose your save games. They just shrug their shoulders. Bad decision. Hopefully they will fix this but their posture is not to fix it. With that kind of business culture it is only a matter of time before the next screw job on a customer. How can a $5 game screw you?
Time
Follow the blogs, get excited, play the game. Spend time on it vs other activities and then be repeatedly frustrated by bad quality.
That is how. Gasbag joins the ranks of crappy dev's and gives Indie game dev's a bad name.

I've lost at least a dozen hours to CTD's, and now multiple save games, probably another dozen hours. Do I look concerned? I'll answer that for you. No. Sure it's not ideal to lose hours of play, it never is. But the options are that you either get over it and start a new game knowing that it shouldn't happen again, or go play something else.

As for bashing the developers, if you were correct I wouldn't have a problem, but you are not. They have been working long shifts to make the game better, it is not bad quality, and they have already apologized for any loss of saves. If it's still too hard to bear losing that save(s), then here's a box of tissues, the corner is over there.

On a related note, I died again. Woohoo!!

Watch out— as the goofballs at gasbag games say you will lose your save games. They just shrug their shoulders. Bad decision. Hopefully they will fix this but their posture is not to fix it. With that kind of business culture it is only a matter of time before the next screw job on a customer. How can a $5 game screw you?
Time

Stop being an asshole. It's a great game, and you knew from day 1 that there would be patches coming soon. You could have waited.

Ib a game thats all about statrting over again and again, this seems less of an issue than it would be for other types of games.

@benetar What's that saying about obvious trolls? Oh yea, they're obvious.

There was an issue with crashing during the beta, but he fixed that soon after I started playing the beta. It looks like another one creeped in when they added it to Steam. Oh well. All I care about is that they will continue to update this game and make it better by not just making it stable, but throwing in a few extra items and whatnot. So yea, it was totally worth five dollars. This isn't some AAA company who is going to write off a game as done even when it's not. This isn't EA after all. I'm still waiting for my Ultima 9 patch.

It only takes 1 lost character to cast a debuff of paranoia on the user. No crashes for me though!

Still, its a bit on the casual side. Good game for children, noobs and the elderly. As a roguelike it lacks insight into the genre. :(

But im still evaluating it!! Have not tried many skills yet. Not died either. Dont think I can die.

edit: lol maybe im being too harsh... I mean, it's good... Its just not causing me any loss of sleep like some rogues have. I've played once for 12 straight hours on a game and with Dreadmor you clear a floor and go "whew... well, enough of that"

Good for hardcore roguelike fans as well. During the beta I wasn't the only fan of ADOM/Nethack/Crawl to be amazed by this game.

I thought exactly what you were thinking when I first saw it, but then I died and then I died again and again and again. So I started taking it a bit more seriously and got hooked on the dang thing.

Of course it's not going to have the depth of ADOM/Nethack/any of the others, but it sure is not just a game for people that are new to the genre.

RPG-lite games always bored me like Times of Lore which is a game that introduces you to the RPG genre. That couldn't have been more boring if it tried, but this one is different. It has taken some of the best parts of a roguelike and managed to put them in this game. Not all of the parts mind you. Like I would have loved if they implemented starvation in the game.

Anyway, I like it and I'll be playing this game for years to come.

Like I would have loved if they implemented starvation in the game.

That would be nice and perhaps not too difficult to implement.

Perhaps they could add it in the Going rogue difficulty (making it with that and a few other tweaks a more "hardcore" mode).

I spoke too soon! Found a room that said "monster stoo" I think... FULL of monsters. And I thought I'd take them all on hehehe. DEAD.

Playing on Going Rogue, of course.

Yeah, theres some pretty nifty features for sure. Like the crafting system looks to be pretty solid. My guy wasn't very crafty so I couldn't make anything.

A few patches and I can imagine it improving a lot.

"monster Zoo"

Fixed :)

Anyway, you should try a few builds, there is enough variety to make several character
templates and they all seem to work and be fun to play (needs balancing though and
fine tuning but they are on to it).

I think there is a lot of solid value there (and more to come). Really a nobrainer for someone looking for a lite companion game, say to play on the laptop between things
or on the road etc...

Although I can see someone putting a lot of time in it too (its been stealing some of my F:NV time and really thats a pretty big compliment).

Yeah I think the game has a lot of potential. Right now it has a pretty cool character creation/development system and an interesting crafting system. The rest of the game is currently lacking a lot of depth when compared to other roguelikes, but that has the potential to change with time. They've definitely laid the ground works for a classic, it's just not there yet. But I've definitely gotten $5 worth of fun out of it.

And I agree that losing your saves isn't as big a deal in a roguelike. If your character is still around then your not doing it right. Crashing to desktop is a much bigger deal but hopefully that's been mostly resolved or will be in this next patch.

It must suck for the percentage that are experiencing crashes, but the isn't happening for everyone. The developers have been very attentive with around 1 blog post a day since launch. The are a small group of people, but have been very responsive and quick to implement fixes as required. Some fixes are not easy to do.

It would be nice to ship out a product without any bugs, but these days that isn't very realistic for a AAA company, let alone a small indie dev team.

Oh dear, Steam just auto updated DoD, when I told it not to (bad Steam...). Now it crashes on my old saved character. :)

Ib a game thats all about statrting over again and again, this seems less of an issue than it would be for other types of games.

So true, I'm at my 10th character, but I never went farther then level 2 and not all the causes of reroll was death. I just love making new characters...

Aside from the Humor and abundance of cheese (My son thinks the Devs are Wallace and Gromit fans) the is a great game. I'm on my 3rd character build exploring level 4 . This is also the first time I have found more than 2 Lutefisk Cubes.
I love some of the monster designs, reminds me of earlier Might & Magic Games especially Level 4.
The Save Game recovery is slightly annoying < i just started a new character unit the next patch. I like the game so much I bought 2 copies, one for me and the other for my son. Also a recommended RougeLite for Children/ Young Teens.

Back
Top Bottom