Blade of Darkness on Vista 64

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I installed and ran it yesterday (patched 1.01). Surprisingly it ran at 1440x900 and I got through the tutorial in order to verify that everything worked.

What is strange is the menu. The font is a bit fuzzy but the real issue is that when you arrow around the text doesnt highlight. Essentially you have to count the noises to track which line you are on.

Anyone have a solution? Not a huge issue I suppose. It kills me that BoD runs at my native res and I can't get freakin Dungeon Lords to run widescreen LOL

I've no idea how to fix that. I'm just posting to share in the awesomeness that is Severance : Blade of Darkness. I've no idea how or why Rebel Act went bankrupt after releasing it. It was a true gem and really could've used a sequel. One of the most atmospheric games I've played. The fights with the orcs were gruesome and scary. My favorites. :)

Try this OpenGL raster (read readme file for instructions)
http://rampage.bigtruck-canada.ca/blade/oth/raster.zip

Also check this unofficial forum
http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=12

Thanks for that. The OpenGL renderer was just what I needed.

Something weird happened though. I was running my laptop on battery and when I launched the game it was running at super speed rate. Apparently it has something to do with laptop power management settings and the CPU. As recommended on the forums I download and messed with the RightMark CPU Clock utility but even with that utility running in the background it was still a bit to fast (but improved).

Having plugged back in however, as soon as the battery finished charging the game suddenly started working as normal without the clock utility running in the background. So apparently if I'm unplugged or if my battery is charging the game runs funky (fast).

Otherwise, it appears to work great with XP64. Blade of Darkness lives on!

I just bought a bunch of games and got my hands of this game after a very long time. And now I'm wondering is there a way to run the game in widescreen without stretching? With a mod perhaps?

I am very pleased to announce that the Hack and Slay/ Slash game ‘ Severance – Blade Of Darkness ‘ works fine on Microsoft Windows 7 Professional. Please note I have bought the ‘ Professional ‘ version of Windows 7, which has the added capabilities of running many XP productivity applications in the special Windows XP Mode2. If you want the Professional version, currently costs around £169.00.

I am tired out after three solid hours of hacking the enemies to pieces. Game works fine, only thing I have picked up so far with the game is some event triggers, such as reading rune tablets and unlocking platforms gets stuck. Either hit the ‘ windows ‘ key to get back to the desktop, then click back on the Severance minimised window to re-enter the running game and should clear the fault. Alternatively hit the return key, but this method automatically skips the next bit you ‘ really ‘ want to see, such as reading a rune tablet.

OK folks, the following is what I did thanks to a combination of visiting the Codemaster ‘ Official ‘ Website, and the very hard effort of you fans out there. You can deviate from the following if you’re a real computer geek!!!
Here goes: Go to: http://www.codemasters.co.uk/downloads/

Select: Severance: Blade Of Darkness Bestsellers, for PC platform.

Select : Severance: Blade of Darkness - The Full Game (Released 03/10/2006).
Game is 679mb in size and paid £ 4.99 for game with optional £ 1.95 download insurance (your game also saved on a server for 18 months, in case you loose the game somehow). I am thinking that the version on Codemasters website has more bug fixes added to the game since its original release!! Your call!!! Next, on Codemasters website, select the ‘ Download ‘ tab, Select : Severance: Blade of Darkness, on PC platform , and type patch/ upgrade. There are two patches available. Be sure to use the right patch either for Europe or America.

Next, goto: http://www.thecrawdaddypage.com/reviewsA/shots/bod/raster.zip
Alternatively visit: http://www.thecrawdaddypage.com/reviewsA/BoD.html
To download the OpenGL Raster program. You need a program such as WinRAR to unzip the program and a Readme file. Follow the instructions ‘ after ‘ installing the full-game and patch.

I found this bit tricky to get the game working. Right click the Severance shortcut on your desktop and select ‘ Properties ‘. Select ‘ Compatibility ‘ tab. Place a tick in the ‘ Run this program in compatibility mode for: ‘ Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) ‘.
Next, run the program and in the ‘ Setup ‘ option, Video is set to ‘ rOpenGL ’, Audio is set to ‘ DirectSound 3D Software Emulation ‘. Next, hit the ‘ configure ‘ button, select ‘Full Screen’, ‘ 32 bpp ‘, ‘ 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz ‘. In here, there are all sorts of play around options/ graphic plig-ins etc. within different tab options. I don’t know what the best settings are. I would be interested in anyone’s feedback on this. During game play, I have seen in very dark caves, the graphics is very grey and black, in tunnels, is sometimes very dark orange and red. Again, I welcome anyone’s thoughts on how to put this right. I am just thankful that this gem of a game works ok.

I have an ATI HD4870 graphics card and I have not adjusted anything in the CCC – Wizard application. My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Series - X-Fi XtremeGamer.

So, now you all know, Severance - Blade of Darkness works with Windows 7 Professional.

“ LET BATTLE COMMENCE “.

Great! I actually recently bought a pack of used games and Severance came with it. I really loved the game back in the days, the graphics were just awesome back then as well as the *GORE*. :D

Sadly, there isn't anyway way to set the widescreen resolution, so that it wouldn't stretch the image. :(

Hey thanks! I've been playing this game without being able to see the menu and that was tough:)

Back
Top Bottom