Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - Begins Kickstarter Campaign

aries100

SasqWatch
Direct Link: Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter

From BrownEyedTigre at Gameboomers comes the news that the Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, an adventure game, has started a Kickstarter campaign. While this game is certainly not an RPG, I'm posting this news since I know many us here at the rpgwatch also enjoy playing adventure games as well. Currently Ragnar Tørnquist's new independent studio Red Thread Games managed to collect more than 625,000 $ in about two days.
Here's some info from the Kickstarterpage for this game, first about the game:
Dreamfall Chapters continues and concludes the gripping story of Zoë Castillo, the Dreamer. Revisiting familiar locations and characters, and introducing new sights and sounds, new faces, new game mechanics, new thrills and challenges, Dreamfall Chapters takes the player on an emotional, exciting and challenging journey — from a dystopian cyberpunk future, through the mysterious and dreamlike Storytime, to the magical landscapes of Arcadia. We aim to recapture the heart and soul of The Longest Journey and to improve on the immersion and game mechanics of Dreamfall in order to bring you a fitting, satisfying and emotional conclusion to the Dreamer Cycle.
Then about Red Thread Games:
Red Thread Games is an independent game development studio founded by Ragnar Tørnquist. For years it's been our dream to tell more stories in The Longest Journey saga, and now we've finally brought together the core team behind Dreamfall for this long-awaited sequel.
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but… Kickstarter? Is that really necessary?

What do you mean? Do you know why developers go for kickstarter? Maybe they can't get funding from a publisher?

Funcom gave them the license but not a cent of budget. So yes, a Kickstarter is necessary.

Mixed feelings. Longest Journey was one of the best adventure games I've ever played. Dreamfall was too short, had shoehorned combat and stealth elements and suffered from the transition to consoles. And it's the Dreamfall team that will be making this.

You didn't need to link to someone else's forum in the first post. A direct link to the kickstarter or even the link to our own forum (such as here) would have sufficed.

I am not a big adventure fan but this is one series that I have no qualms supporting. Now its just a waiting game for another 20 months or so. Hoping the stretch goals are largely content driven since it sounds like the game will be quite short (10 hours) otherwise. Source for that was somewhere in the reddit thread with Ragnar.

Ragnar discusses the complaints about Dreamfall gameplay in the reddit thread and indicates he is going back to TLJ for most inspiration regarding gameplay. Actually sounds a little like Planescape as there will not be death/failure sequences per se and instead failure will lead to other interesting scenarios.

I loved Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but… Kickstarter? Is that really necessary?

I really don't get this opinion...is a project somehow not worthy of a kickstarter?

They obviously won't have a hard time reaching the goal. It will be interesting to see just how much funding they're able to get.

Mixed feelings. Longest Journey was one of the best adventure games I've ever played. Dreamfall was too short, had shoehorned combat and stealth elements and suffered from the transition to consoles. And it's the Dreamfall team that will be making this.

Combat and stealth where implemented because of publisher demand,on interview few months back they stated that there will be no arcade parts.Also Dreamfall had excellent writing ,while the longest journey had puzzles that vary from decent to good but it never was highlight or selling point of game, TLJ games are all about story and dramfall did that very well.

Last edited:
I've said in another thread already - this is a game I'm definetly making a pledge on.

What do you mean? Do you know why developers go for kickstarter? Maybe they can't get funding from a publisher?

Especially in the U.S. ! - Where companies still stubbornly claim that adventure games "wouldn't sell" …

What does sell instead, are shooters … And I believe that this speaks volumes …

It's not about selling… Adventures do sell. However you can't earn billions with them on just any market - as you can't sell an adventure to an ignorant or low IQ person. Those puzzles are simply hurting their brain so give them a gun and a main gamequest - shoot everything that moves.

Adventures however are still very popular in some countries. For example, in Germany. And I can't wait for many adventures to get english translation as I don't speak german. :(

Also worth noting is Steam online store where they still add adventures to the catalogue. Steam doesn't care if some CEO cares for sales in just one country. Export matters.

It's not about selling… Adventures do sell. However you can't earn billions with them on just any market - as you can't sell an adventure to an ignorant or low IQ person. Those puzzles are simply hurting their brain so give them a gun and a main gamequest - shoot everything that moves.

Adventures however are still very popular in some countries. For example, in Germany. And I can't wait for many adventures to get english translation as I don't speak german. :(

Also worth noting is Steam online store where they still add adventures to the catalogue. Steam doesn't care if some CEO cares for sales in just one country. Export matters.

I'm not sure why you play them then? ;)

Seriously though, north America does not just make shooters. Yes some of the highest selling games are shooters but it is too easy to say all they make are those. A little game called skyrim did ok over here.

Seriously though, north America does not just make shooters. Yes some of the highest selling games are shooters but it is too easy to say all they make are those. A little game called skyrim did ok over here.

I don't see the words "north America" or "shooters" anywhere in joxer's post, yet you still managed to create a rant about it. :)

this is amazing i've waited so long..but how come this is MMORPG title?
is there an option to solve puzzles with other players?

Never got the attraction of adventure games. About as frustrating as watching a film that pauses every other frame until you click some random area on the screen.

I'm certainly NOT jumping right in. TLJ was a classic, but Dreamfall was certainly underwhelming.

Let me clear: This is not an MMO or had anything do with two moon. The reason it might show up as this bight be because of our categorizing system. This game is the sequel to the both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Sorry for the confusion.

edit:
As for clicking on screens in adventure games to go forward in games, in TLJ and in this game, this is certainly not the case any more. Neither is it in the newer Sherlock Holmes games e.g. Testament of Sherlock Holmes etc.

Last edited:
I don't see the words "north America" or "shooters" anywhere in joxer's post, yet you still managed to create a rant about it. :)

No the first part was for Joxer, the second was for Alrik, just got lazy and didn't quote his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom