Ultima IV - Remake from BioWare Mythic?

Hey now, don't be bringing Warhammer into this or maybe you're referring to his MUDs. Here's the wikiality of Paul Barnett.

I still have hope. Making a game with a large team on a huge MMO is totally different from making a browser game with a small team or at least I hope it is. In any event, maybe it will suck and maybe it won't. The key is we don't know ANYTHING about this game yet other than it's a browser based one.

I'd love to play an Ultima IV with some more modern graphics, maybe a bit more fleshed out story (sort of like what Laz did for U5), etc. I'm not talking about some AAA 25MM production, but just a nice update to a classic game. And I'd happily pay for it.

Ok, here's my last contribution:

Paul "PR-Mouthpiece" Barnett
Browser-based Ultima 4
EA

With that said, I'll let you get back to your dream of a decent Ultima 4 remake.

Excellent? Perhaps, especially if you`ve never played them before. For me they`re best left in original form (and so is Ultima & others). Graphics were beautiful then - and are still, you just need to adjust your mindset a bit. It`s a bit like with vintage music or film…

What annoys me the most are voiceovers - they`re hardly ever done right, and anyway, I liked to fill blanks with this lil` thing called imagination. Same goes for visuals…

Hey, preaching to the choir here, but I still feel they did an outstanding job making the games appropriate to modern audiences while not destroying the core. The fact that you could hit a button and go into "retro" mode that was a reasonably pure port of the original game was what took it over the top for me.

This thread hast lost an eighth!

And THAT made me snort water out my nose. Ow. Quit it. :)

Browser-based Ultima 4
EA

With that said, I'll let you get back to your dream of a decent Ultima 4 remake.

If I was a really cruel person, I would claim that their next project (with Mr. Moleyneux added to the team) will be a remake of System Shock. But I'm not that cruel.

If I was a really cruel person, I would claim that their next project (with Mr. Moleyneux added to the team) will be a remake of System Shock. But I'm not that cruel.

I don't want a remake, I want a proper evolution!

Yepp. As I said, I'm not so cruel that ….oh…,whatever..

Muahahahaha!!! :)

But honestly, I too would like an evolution of the System Shock franchise.,

I've played the Ultima IV flash game from psisoftware. That programmer made some pretty massive changes to combat and fights last way too long. Ultima IV was never about the combat, so slight changes can ruin a game in some circumstances. I'm really not sure that I want to play a game with as limited conversation as was available in Ultima IV. Name, Job, Health, Stone, Rune, Mantra....

If they update the game and make it like Lazarus or U6P, then that could be interesting. Both of those games were fun, though I never finished either.

Browser-based Ultima 4
EA

A c'mon you are ruining it for everyone :p
Dreams are OUR hope..

For those writing off browser game technology, remember Radon Labs claims to have their full Drakensang engine running in a browser:
buffed: Wait, you actually have the engine of Drakensang - River of time in the browser actually working?
Beyreuther: Yes, exactly. We got together with some Bigpoint technicians and drilled a couple of thick planks - and what we now have, our technology business. It's the same engine.

I'm not saying Barnett would make a great U4 but being browser-based shouldn't be a limitation as such. Twotricks is right that browsers will be a significant future platform.

The Arcania engine has also been ported to browsers. There was a video somewhere.

Browser games are on the rise. Their technology will advance quickly for the next couple of years.

For those writing off browser game technology, remember Radon Labs claims to have their full Drakensang engine running in a browser:

I'm not saying Barnett would make a great U4 but being browser-based shouldn't be a limitation as such. Twotricks is right that browsers will be a significant future platform.

While I wasn't necessarily writing off browser-based games completely, I still stand corrected in saying that I "couldn't see browsers being used as a primary platform for all PC games." I have not personally seen any large games that are browser-based, so I wrongly assumed that there was a technological reason for this.

Would someone with knowledge on the subject mind explaining how enormous games could be played/created on a browser-based format? Most of my gaming/programming/tech knowledge lies in games made for "traditional" platforms.

I don't want to play any kind of game that I hope to be immersed in - in my browser with my list of bookmarks at the top and the search bar, etc. What's the point?
The point is that you press F11 and get stunned by the wonders of technology. ;)

Pretty interesting to see PC gamers showing so much support for browser gaming. That's like a sports car enthusiast arguing how great bicycling really is - in a world where there's a freeway whenever you need it.

Of course, it's not the platform - but let's not pretend the platform doesn't matter.

If you sit down and think about it, do you really think an Ultima 4 remake should be a browser game?

Are you so desperate for that great old classic, that you'll praise every initiative by a small EA funded team headed by the ultimate PR dude?

Back
Top Bottom