Dungeon Siege 3 - Preview Roundup

My god. You, sir! You are a poet. And with it such superior reasoning. I mean how could someone doubt all your fine brought up points. Nobody could compare.

But, dear Sir. You seem to live in a world that is full with flawless game companies. If you may direct me to them?
You grab me a smile, be happy. :)

I respect your opinion, but I hope you know that you just slapped some of the greatest RPGs, and action-RPGs of all time in the face? How could you do that? Fallout 2? Icewind Dale? Mask of the Betrayer? Really?
I probably didn't wrote well but MotB is in my top favorite I wrote it in the post, despite it has some strange weakness like non attaching companions.

For FO2 and IWD series and I'm surprised you didn't include PS:T that RPG players have an obligation to enjoy, yes I don't consider them as top, for me FO2 is missing something fundamental that has FO1 and not FO2, a magic touch that's been lost.

Yeah my preferences seems not shared a lot… but if I pick top ten favorite RPG of all time of people posting they are blind fans of Obsidian I wonder how many Obsidian RPG had really end in their top ten. In fact I'll make the exercise for curiosity.

They're taking a game with an irrelevant party that practically played itself and adding full dialogue and choices — and you're focused on the irrelevant party? I don't think you can see the forest for the trees.
It's your opinion that party is irrelevant in Dungeon Siege I would like to see the arguments.

For me the fights was working very well and wasn't at all the problem of the game. this was making them quite different to any diablo like with single character. So I wonder what makes party irrelevant here.

I don't care much they repeat once more a schema (single character back view) I see too often in modern RPG (it's quite close to first person or over the shoulder), to lost one quite more rare.

I never did finish Dungeon Siege because I'm not all that into hack & lash games but from what I played party members didn't add any unique qualities that were needed in which your main character couldn't do so they were irrelevant. In other party based rpgs party members usually added unique qualities and that isn't even including games where you have interaction between characters. I could be entirely wrong with the above because I didn't play enough.

It's your opinion that party is irrelevant in Dungeon Siege I would like to see the arguments.

For me the fights was working very well and wasn't at all the problem of the game. this was making them quite different to any diablo like with single character. So I wonder what makes party irrelevant here.

Mmh, let me think:
- The party in DS1 was totally automated. They fought totally on their own, if not made the active party member
- You could deactivate some of the automated functions in DS2, but they were in the game
- None of the NPCs were remarkeble characters. Something you criticised about NWN2MotB
- The party was optional in DS2 anyway.
- The was no party interaction of any kind
- Because of the skill system, no abilty was really unique.
- Insta reanimate after fights doesn't increase the meaning of a party

I only used 3 chars in DS2 anyway, because the game got too easy with a bigger party.

Mmh, let me think:
- The party in DS1 was totally automated. They fought totally on their own, if not made the active party member
If you always controlled only one character I highly doubt you made it through the tougher fights. Your remark apply to BG1&2, IWD,… So what?

- You could deactivate some of the automated functions in DS2, but they were in the game
- None of the NPCs were remarkeble characters. Something you criticised about NWN2MotB
- The party was optional in DS2 anyway.
- The was no party interaction of any kind
- Because of the skill system, no abilty was really unique.
- Insta reanimate after fights doesn't increase the meaning of a party
You are making a confusion between the game quality and a gameplay system, those negative points you are quoting don't come from the system but from the game quality that could be improved.

Drag the game from a more rare system that has a good potential to the routine standard system of modern RPG, here what I complained.

EDIT:
To answer more precisely to your points:
  • Sure optional party, like in all RPG with party, I don't remember one where some players brag they made it with a single character. This doesn't defeat the party meaning.
  • There was many companion comments during exploration.
  • For unique skills companions, it's just a remark agaisnt RPG with party.
  • Reanimate after fights have been also used by your so well beloved Obsidian and it's wrong that it destroy the party meaning. When during a fight you lost a companion your fighting team become weaker and this could make you lost this fight.

It seems you don't like party RPG, some players enjoy and it's a shame to see one more join the RPG modern routine.

Last edited:
If you always controlled only one character I highly doubt you made it through the tougher fights. Your remark apply to BG1&2, IWD,… So what?

No, because the AD&D system used in those games is far more tactical and the individual skills available are far deeper and more interesting. This makes BG2 much better as a part-based game - but DS lacks the tactical elements and the party adds almost nothing.

It seems you don't like party RPG, some players enjoy and it's a shame to see one more join the RPG modern routine.

Can't speak for Sir_Brennus but I *love* part-based games. However, we're talking about arguably the most dull hack'n'slash game ever with the epitome of a generic party. I'm not *wanting* the party gone but the addition of real RPG elements is much more interesting than the loss of a generic party system. You do like the additional RPG elements, right? Surely you didn't like DS as it stood?

I enjoyed DS2, I also enjoyed DS2 expansion. For DS1 it's long ago and I'm not sure I finished it, just remember some big fights.

Myself I found a lot of tactical value in DS2 fights, and I wonder why the classes in DS2 are considered here as all the same, it makes no sense, just check them in some guide.

In DS2 there was a tournament area, with only tougher and tougher fights to win, no quest, nothing, just some reward and medals. It was great, because DS2 fights was great. What to say, you didn't found tactical values in fights, too bad for you, but if I did found tactical values it's because there was tactical values, that sort of stuff is hard to imagine from nothing.

I consider DS2 and its extension a quite underated party action RPG. For me there's Torchlight, D2 and then DS2, Din's Curse and Alien Shooter 2. Other like Titan Quest or Fate are very far behind.

That said, once again, the game could be improved and keep a base of Party and Hack&Slash.

single character game? Pleh! *vomits his lunch* No thanks, to me this just turns it into YADC (yet another Diablo clone)

. It was great, because DS2 fights was great. What to say, you didn't found tactical values in fights, too bad for you, but if I did found tactical values it's because there was tactical values, that sort of stuff is hard to imagine from nothing.

I think you all forget about the complexity of the human mind. Why argue with a man over something, maybe at that time his mother was nice, and now no more. Maybe His olfactory system was delighted with various aromas, or everything was so dull around, that this game seemed complex. there are tons and tons of possibilities.

So please stop your brain from coming up with arguments and arguments, and accept the fact that your perception was rare and lucky.

Ja

What to say, you didn't found tactical values in fights, too bad for you, but if I did found tactical values it's because there was tactical values, that sort of stuff is hard to imagine from nothing.

I'm not suggesting you imagined it - we simply disagree. It's not unlike when you just like you couldn't see the value in Alpha Protocol, only we're the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom