Dragon Age - Steam Sale

Some points I like to add.

First I don’t se a problem whit the industry gaining more money by DD, as I don’t see any problem in that the developer actual stay alive, and make more games for me? As it is now it’s make a hit on at least two platforms or close down. That’s the reason that we see less games like, Dragensang, The Witcher and Demons Soul, and more games like Fallout 3 and Borderlands, that try to please 3 platforms, but don’t really do on all platforms.

Second, Europe has been left out of the DD market so far, the only big one here is Steam (and gog if you are after old games), and Steam do abuse this, by say that 1$ equal 1€, that’s make some game as expensive on Steam as it is in retail and sometime even more expensive. But you can be lucky on Steam, example Borderlands got 5€ if you preordered it. If DD shall catch on in Europe, we need to see more DD publishers, to break Steams monopole.

If you do so, you could also start judging Once upon a Time in America by its dialogues only and not consider image composition or the score.

If not for image composition and score that film would have been a total disaster, lol.

(Although it can be argued that Leone's films WERE made by their cinematography and scores).

I'm all for physical copies, ESPECIALLY in music where downloads degrade the sound quality. And I do think that the artwork IS an important and rather fun aspect. But ULTIMATELY, it's the music I care for. And when the major online music services (namely Emusic which I currently use) start offering LOSSLESS downloads, that's when I'll stop buying CDs.

Yes, I use Emusic but only to try out new artists/albums. If I absolutely love the album then I'll usually go and search for the CD. If it's merely ok then the download will do for my Ipod (Emusic quality is better than Itunes anyway).

Also, I'm a huge fan of YES (especially their 70s output) but those Roger Dean covers were awful! :D

But back to games, I also love having manuals and boxes with cool artwork but also like the OPTION to download. Seeing a digitally distributed game on sale for $15 to $20 less than it's retail store counterpart can make a huge difference in how I obtain it. I have 2 kids, rent/bills to pay and other hobbies.

$20 is a lot these days (actually, it's another game or two!)

Second, Europe has been left out of the DD market so far, the only big one here is Steam (and gog if you are after old games), and Steam do abuse this, by say that 1$ equal 1€, that’s make some game as expensive on Steam as it is in retail and sometime even more expensive. But you can be lucky on Steam, example Borderlands got 5€ if you preordered it. If DD shall catch on in Europe, we need to see more DD publishers, to break Steams monopole.

What about Impulse and GamersGate? It's not like there are many other DD companies out there as of right now. You have Impulse, D2D, Steam, GoG and GamersGate (If I'm missing any let me know I'd like to see what they offer as well). D2D caters to NA, Impulse has a small yet good selection, GamersGate I just recently used and I'm impressed with the quantity of games they have and of course GoG for those older games that just aren't there anymore.

Steam doesn't exactly have a monopoly on the worldwide DD market if you ask me. Though they do have a good slice of that pie as of right now.

I yearn for the day real Aliens arrive on Earth, forcing humanity to unite so that we can finally be done with all this regional BS.

PSPGo - yes; DSi … no. You are completely wrong on all counts with regard to the DSi (a seeming trend with you). DSi has loads of features that include all DS Lite capabilities (except for GBA slot) add a SD card slot, and a 'DSiWare store' which is sort of like Apple's iTunes App Store selling small DS games.

The DSiWare has not been a huge success yet, but the DSi itself has sold more than any other console. Failure … um, no.

Mmh, Mike why are you so mean? I thought we were two of a kind, reading all your excellent articles.

Your remark is incorrect, though. The DSi is only successful as the only available replacement for the DS light, which is not produced any more. You do not have any alternative if you want to buy a DS. If you leave the stupid tactics of removing the GBA slot aside (which only will lead to more pirated GBA games on SD Cards), the DSiWare store is plain and simply a joke.

If you want any proof that I am not alone with this assessment (opposed to you) you may read the article of one of the most prominent german gaming sites about the biggest disappointment of the year 2009. In first place: PSPgo, in second place: DSi & DSi shop.
http://www.4players.de/4players.php.../66748/0/4Players_Spiele_des_Jahres_2009.html

What about Impulse and GamersGate? It's not like there are many other DD companies out there as of right now. You have Impulse, D2D, Steam, GoG and GamersGate (If I'm missing any let me know I'd like to see what they offer as well). D2D caters to NA, Impulse has a small yet good selection, GamersGate I just recently used and I'm impressed with the quantity of games they have and of course GoG for those older games that just aren't there anymore.

Steam doesn't exactly have a monopoly on the worldwide DD market if you ask me. Though they do have a good slice of that pie as of right now.

Actual I did not know Gamers gate or Impulse, so I just checked them out. Gamers Gate seem good but expensive, I just bought Divinity 2 by mail for 40€, Gamers gate want 49,95€, impulse on the other hand only want 31€, but that’s the NA version that’s not been released yet.

But never less I going to keep my eyes on those two site, thanks fore the hints :)

Your remark is incorrect, though. The DSi is only successful as the only available replacement for the DS light, which is not produced any more.

OK, in Germany it might be true, but that represents, what, 2% of worldwide handheld hardware sales?

In the NA & Japan, which total ~60 - 75%, you *can* buy both, and they are tracked separately and the DS Lite still sells pretty well but the DSi sells *tons*.

Also, if you look at GBA software sales you see they have fallen off the face of the earth - there is no reason for new hardware to have that port, especially since Nintendo knows how many folks that want to play GBA still have ... a GBA (like my kids).

As for the DSiWare ... well, if you read my DSi review at GearDiary.com you will see that we aren't far apart on that one ;)

Mmh, Mike why are you so mean? I thought we were two of a kind, reading all your excellent articles.

Actually, with all of the DSi stuff, we lost track of the main point - the PSP Go is the first 'download only' device and is a a *total* failure!

The PSP Go (which I own and reviewed here) failed by being too expensive, offering no real new functionality, no price benefit, no upgrade path for former owners, and on and on. It is a great example of how to get it totally *wrong*.

90% of in the 3 quarter of 2009 were physical format purchases or rentals

Sometimes a touch of reality is good for the priests of DD:

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100112.html

If DD will stay at 10% market share I am okay with it. And I really hope it will do so.

Actually if you read the report you find it at 21% now, with the shift in audience accelerating.

Only if you include "mobile and smartphones" - a platform that HAS no physical media.

That's how to lie with statistics.

I think the truth lies somewhere between 10% and 21% percent - maybe 16%?

That is not "a bing thing" as was stated at the beginning of this thread.

Only if you include "mobile and smartphones" - a platform that HAS no physical media.

That's how to lie with statistics.

I think the truth lies somewhere between 10% and 21% percent - maybe 16%?

That is not "a bing thing" as was stated at the beginning of this thread.

Actually it isn't lying with statistics, the focus was on consoles having 10% download ... which is actually pretty major. Also, when looking at the demographics of what the authors stated, it is clear that there is rapid acceleration towards DD ...

Back
Top Bottom