Child Of Light - A Modern Fairy Tale Trailer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Ubisoft has released the next behind the scenes video for Child Of Light.

Watch how Aurora has been imagined and designed. Discover in this making of what the story of Child of Light has been inspired from!Dive into the Ubisoft Montreal Studio and discover development team and artists who brought this playable poem to life.

Child of Light is the transformation journey of Aurora, a young princess who woke up in the world of Lemuria. She has to face with her destiny in an epic quest to find the Sun, the Moon and the Stars stolen by the Dark Queen.
More information.

Just one man's opinion, but I'm astonished by a couple things. One, that studios fund, develop, and market such games and two, that a market even exists for them. Who buys and plays these games? They look like they would only appeal to elementary or middle school kids. Do adults really play these? I'm serious. I'd really like to understand this.

It's quit simple Zephyr everybody's tastes in games is different. Let me simplify it and say instead what one gamer likes another wont.

Ill give you an example as I play, and enjoy RPG Maker games. Yet the majority of members here can't accept that, and ridicule those that do.:)

I always get replies about graphics, and the art style every time I cover them. Anyway despite what the members say the games are still made, and make money.

Just one man's opinion, but I'm astonished by a couple things. One, that studios fund, develop, and market such games and two, that a market even exists for them. Who buys and plays these games? They look like they would only appeal to elementary or middle school kids. Do adults really play these? I'm serious. I'd really like to understand this.

I agree, these type of games look downright creepy. I'd prefer no graphics at all rather than these things that totally creep me out. Then again, they also allow me to keep my money.

I'll quote an adult reviewer who obliviously can understand adults do play these games.
Such a highly stylized game making a change from the usual suspects we get to play. The child in me can't wait!
I guess it's easier to criticize than accept people do play these games.:disappointed:

If you boil down Star Wars to its very core, it's nothing but this : A simple story. Perceivable by elementary school kids.

But : Star Wars has a following that goes into the millions. Or even billions, I don't know.

Which means that these simply stories have a certain appeal to humans.

In fact, storytelling has always been that simple. The only complex things in storytelling are only/merely added layers and embellishment.

The most simple stories are the ones mankind has been listening to from famous storytellers sinds tenth of thousands of years. And will do so in another tenth of thousands of years (if mankind survives that long, that is).

That's why fairy tales have been surviving that long - and that people are making even "modern fairy tales", like Star Wars, for example. ;)

Me, I love those simple stories - because they are so much different than today's trash. Just look at my current signature, please. ;)

Besides, I like simple food much more than complex food. ;) Like roasted potatos, for example. ;)

And another note : Anyone noticed how similar it looks to Trine and to the Giana Sisters ? Not to mention some side-scrolling Indies …

And another note : Anyone noticed how similar it looks to Trine and to the Giana Sisters ? Not to mention some side-scrolling Indies …
That's because all those games are part of a new genre called Metroidvania.
Metroidvania (also known as Castleroid) is a genre of 2D platformer games with an emphasis on an exploratory action-adventure structure.

Many games fuse platformer fundamentals with elements of action-adventure games such as The Legend of Zelda or with elements of RPGs.

For me, it is about gameplay. I honestly do not care what the game looks like (other than ascii graphics, which I dislike), art style, etc. If it looks like a kids game, but has the gameplay I enjoy I'd buy and play a game called Super Dolphins Gaylords Tinkerbell.

My preference is for games with sharper graphics like MMX. Wizardy 8 and WoW also had a graphics style I find appealing so I guess I like a kid-like art style. I dislike games that have what other people consider good graphics, as I believe it is a colossal waste of resources. I much prefer the graphics of this game over the AAA blockbusters.

But, yes, this game doesn't seem to support any of the gameplay I like so I don't see myself buying it.

Alrik, it isn't the story I take exception to, it's the style and the look of the game. I'm not a graphics junky; I still love Gothic 1 & 2 and think their graphics are just fine. It's the story, game-play, and the world I find so appealing. I've played both numerous times and will again.
I guess that in this particular genre, cute little kid sparkle fairies just do not flip my switch no matter how good the story. Same goes for all the FF series. No spikey-haired, doe-eyed, pastel colored EMO types for me. JMHO.

I guess that in this particular genre, cute little kid sparkle fairies just do not flip my switch no matter how good the story. Same goes for all the FF series. No spikey-haired, doe-eyed, pastel colored EMO types for me. JMHO.

You are really missing something. While a lot of JRPGs feature a lot of gameplay mechanics that drive me crazy (Respawns, save points, grinding), most of them do have a feature that put them on par with the top seats of WRPGs (Fallout, Torment etc.): Most of them are actually ABOUT something. A greater theme, topic, idea, concept, philosophy ... call it what you will. Only very few WRPGs are about something (most prominent example of a game about nothing: TES Skyrim) that matters - most of them are hollow time fillers.

I wish I had more time and patience for JRPGs.

BTW: I'd love to buy CoL, but the retail box does not contain a DVD, but only a download code - so a no-buy for me.

I really like the look of the game, and went ahead and picked it up this morning. I'll have a bit of time to play it tonight after work. Perhaps some people don't like the aesthetic, but it's better to have options than not. At least in my opinion.

I saw it in a shhop today.

It's a small cardbox, with printing on the bottom of it (on a red banner) : "Download-only. No disc."

Soooooo … why do they sell empty boxes for download-only games now ?

Okay, it says it was a "Collector's Edition" - but one with the size of an bigger smart-device ???

The other side of the box size spectrum was the "Imperial Edition" of TESO I saw : Do they have to compensate something or what ?

No idea why they do stuff like that, Alrik. Seems to be some new thing going on in the industry. People must buy it because they keep doing it. Heh, heh.

I couldn't help myself and bought it today. My kids enjoyed watching me play and I have to admit I liked it more than I thought I would. It has a skill path type system (sort of). Selections upgrade mostly stats slightly (about as much as leveling up does) and upgrades some abilities or opens up new abilities. You get a party and has TB combat like jrpgs with a timing and cast bar with interrupts. Simplistic but not awful so far.

I definitely like the art style and aesthetics. The music sounds like Enya raised Curtis Mayfield in a Tim Burton movie. I usually don't give two shits about game music but this is noticeable and the kids like it.

It is a side scroller, like a jrpg mixed with donkey kong. I'm not a fan of donkey kong/Mario type games myself. The game does have an actual inventory instead of a list so gets the thumbs-up in that department. There doesn't seem to be any items/armor to upgrade, but you have various slots you can put in some jewels that upgrade stats/functions. You can also craft upgraded jewels.

The story is decent and pretty engaging, the setting is catchy, the gameplay is give-or-take. Its rpg-lite but much more of an RPG than I expected. It is also more fun than I expected.

Being civilized, I don't have a controller for my pc, but I'm doing fine with keyboard and mouse. You have this glowing ball you control with the mouse that does various crap, and I'm doing okay with minimal keybinds (basically q-d and space).

My kids like watching me play more than playing, but kids these days are weird and when my oldest daughter has sleepovers they usually watch videos of people playing minecraft on one tablet. Fucking wierd-o's. That is watching videos, not actually playing. I don't trust kids anymore. They are all nice, and extremely tolerant, and creepy. I feel like it is the opening scene of children of the corn before they kill all the adults. But I digress. Give it a try if you are bored and don't mind a different type of rpg.

Back
Top Bottom