Spellbound Entertainment - Ravensdale Officially Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you recall, we broke news of Ravensdale a few weeks back, with confusing information about the status of the game. An official press release has arrived today for this steampunk-ish entry from Spellbound, with the game due in 2012. They describe it as "fantasy action", which obviously sounds like reduced RPG elements:
Spellbound announced new multiplatform project

Project "Ravensdale" set to be a new milestone in the fantasy action genre

Kehl, Germany, April 22nd 2010 – Today, the German development studio Spellbound Entertainment AG officially announced its new project “Ravensdale”. The highly ambitious action game is set in a striking fantasy world offering a fresh and unique approach to the genre. The game will be developed for Xbox360, Playstation 3 and PC and is targeting for a release in 2012.

Project “Ravensdale” is a fast paced fantasy action game in a very unique “steam powered” setting featuring cool and outrageously over-powered gadgetry. The player will seek out high pressure steam outlets, to supercharge his equipment, allowing him to pulverize his adversaries and overcome the obstacles on his path.

“We are proud to announce our new project. Spellbound has been creating successful brands and projects for over 15 years. Our products have always been and continue to be exemplary in the domain of creativity, aesthetic quality and art style. Our “steam powered” approach brings a completely refreshing and surprising value to the fantasy action genre. We are very excited about our new project and delighted by the strong interest that it is attracting.” Andreas Speer, CEO at Spellbound Entertainment AG comments.
More information.

Doesn't sound like an RPG at all. They mention the "Fantasy Action Genre," and call it a "fantasy action game."

Suddenly being an RPG is the kiss of death! Or something!

I just want to know if its really going to be a "new milestone" in the fantasy action genre or not.

Bah, what a shame, that'd have been a great RPG setting.

Maybe the contracts with JoWooD include a non-compete. I expect Spellbounds marketing to find out they've got an RPG when Arcania is through.

The highly ambitious action game is set in a striking fantasy world offering a fresh and unique approach to the genre.
You could say the same about the Witcher, really. It's a fantasy game with a lot of action.

Yeah, an RPG that talks about great it is by how to power up weapons to beat enemies? First time I have ever heard of that strategy.

If there is a non compete, I bet it would more likely be preventing the same setting, than the genre of the game and Spellbound never has shipped a RPG.

Some of us still aren't comfortable with them trying to take on a Gothic game with NO RPG experience. Gothic's aren't JUST some RPG property, the writing, the quests and the world are some of the best in the industry. I get a sinking feeling about Arcania hearing these guys claim RPG.

Has it ever happened before, where one of the best written franchises was taken by people with no AAA credentials in writing or development? If that wasn't enough they are financed by one of the worst publishers in the world.

If Spellbound pulls it off, it will be a freaking miracle and they will deserve full kudos, till then I am keeping my heavy heart. :raincloud:

Back
Top Bottom