Talisman - Digital Edition

Talisman (board game) makes more fun playing it deep in the night for several hours with close friends and some bottles of beer. :party:

Hidden, please go on, maybe you'll reveal me the reason I can't understand why so many ppl buy bloody gambling boxes in Star Trek Online. For real cash, ofc.

Or not? See, I mentioned IIRC a richer randomness provided by a computer than limited randomness from a dice.

Apart pure gambling boxes and very few games, no game/computer games will match your example. For example Backgammon, you just throw dices to moves your pawns, it's still a game with a real depth and you won't beat an experimented player apart on a very rare series of event.

I tried install the Talisman Prologue demo quickly on mac through a default wrapper and it worked like a charm. I don't have it full screen nor has seen the option in game and didn't tried get it fullscreen through the wrapper.

So I could play the demo, first try and win with 2 stars on 3. Hey see Joker? Quote how a good strategy player can even beat random. :p

Ok ok I got good luck and I even suspect the demo is tricked to be more fortunate to players to appeal them. :)

Anyway charming as a casual single player game. I can see how it can be fun with a group of friends but I don't see it working as well on multiplayer with "far from you" players.

For the strategy depth an important element is speed hence for multi player. In single player as most board game like that they didn't tried implement opponents AI and replace it with a star system. Well even if the original game has a fair strategy depth I suspect it won't be the same with that rules shift in single player.

In fact I already played a game like that on ipad, and it really didn't work well in single player because a lot of its design was based on speed and without any opponent it was lacking of salt. But that Talisman seems more diverse with more option and I'm tempted if the price isn't too high.

@Joxer: You should try some of the best Reiner Knizia game ported on ipad. Despite all are originally designed to be played with friends, there's some excellent single player adaptation showing how random can has a lot of strategy depth. Reiner Knizia is a sort of master of game board design, and it made hordes of board games and many get translated on ipad either to play with friends either single player mode.

Ipad games… Right.
Look, I'm still unsure if Ipad games/ports are worse than Iphone games. But to clear it a bit, call me when Drakensang from PC gets ported on Ipad. Until then, I'm not buying Ipad games.

I just don't understand why someone would not like dice ???
Or randomness at all ???

The popularity of Talisman was due in part to the fact that it can be played, and understood, with a 'few' beers. Blind luck is a plus when you're blind drunk. I can't imagine anyone during my Talisman sessions who was capable of deep strategic thinking at that point in the night when things we're getting just a bit too fuzzy for the hex-based board games.

Just got the news that they're on Greenlight now and that there will be no DRM-free alternative :uncool:

Ipad games… Right.
Look, I'm still unsure if Ipad games/ports are worse than Iphone games. But to clear it a bit, call me when Drakensang from PC gets ported on Ipad. Until then, I'm not buying Ipad games.

I'm so sick of reading this crap. You sound like a complete moron when you post this.

It will never get ported, not because it can't but because it didn't sell well enough.

Missing the expansions to be honest. Talisman is my most favorite boardgame of all time. I have played all three editions (1:st edition was a beta to the 2:nd so it doesn't count). Rare to games like this, the 4th edition is actually the best edition as far as I am concerned.

I never got to play 3rd edition and agree the current one is the best— except for the craptacular art on the Black Citadel pre-Fantasy Flight takeover. The warrior on the character card is contorted as though he suffers from some sort of neurological condition. Luckily the art for everything except the base 4th edition are vastly improved.

I have the 4th edition in my closet here. Never played the original. The only knock on talisman is that it is luck dependent more then strategy.

Of interest they released a warhammer 40k style game called relic that is basically WH40k in talisman.

I have the 4th edition in my closet here. Never played the original. The only knock on talisman is that it is luck dependent more then strategy.

It's a common concern, but nowadays I disagree. If you know the game and you know probability you know how and when to take risks that give you a definite advantage. The more experienced player who have a strategy and is ready to take calculated risks usually wins.

Last edited:
It's a common concern, but nowadays I disagree. If you know the game and you know probability you know how and when to take risks that give you a definite advantage. The more experienced player who have a strategy and is ready to take calculated risks usually wins.

I can agree with that, I take back my previous statement and say that it is low on strategy, high on randomness. There is some obviously, just that the game isn't necessarily won on that alone.

I can agree with that, I take back my previous statement and say that it is low on strategy, high on randomness. There is some obviously, just that the game isn't necessarily won on that alone.

Granted, a few good cards can completely change the game. The additional boards is for me a must though, since they offer more routes and make more characters viable. The Highlands is a low-level low-risk moneymaker so I often start there. While there is about 40% risk of drawing a monster with about 3 points average, the chance to find gold is very high. Most stuff (trinkets) weight nothing and there's good ways to replenish lost lives. The City is where you go once you have the coin, but if you are one of the characters specialized in money-making (Alchemist or Merchant) you can go directly there and buy yourself to glory. The Dungeon is good for XP with about 85% chance to draw a monster. Strong characters like the Ogre Chieftan, Bounty Hunter or Troll can however go right down there and start to grind, but poor fate makes the game considerably harder. What the game lacks at this point is a place for wizards and craft-users. Many hope for the 4th expansion to cover this hole.

Info:
Every CRPG works rolls of a dice internally. Luck is a defining element of rpgs in general.

A defining element of RPGs in general? How? The aim of a RPG is to provide a ground for the expression of roleplaying.

All systems that went to measure the quality of roleplaying exist to replace the appreciation of a GM or to compensate for a player lacking roleplaying skills.

Usually, roleplayers do not cast dice for role playing situations involving charisma, seduction, lore knowledge etc
The performance supports the roleplaying act.

For combats, which are difficult to render, multiple systems went, with uncertainty
based on dice rolling.

Certain systems though encourage to bypass role casting anytime possible for combat situations when the role playing act is convincing enough.

It is mainly players who do not play roleplaying games but focus on grinding numbers to developp statiscally their character who see luck as a determining factor.

Computers at the moment can not understand roleplaying performances as a human being can so indeed, every thing is measured in a statistical way in computer games.

When roleplaying is used during a hiring session, very few hirers ask to cast dice to assess the role playing display. Maybe there are around, most though prefer to let their quality of appreciation do the work.

Ihaterpg & Joxer:

Randomness is the fun in CRPGs and RPGs.

Example:
I have a sword that hit for damage 10 and I have 36 HP.
My enemy has a hammer that hits for 12 damage and 40 HP.

In a non random world I have no chance:
The enemy hits for 3 times (3*12=36) and I'm dead, because I would need 4 rounds (4*10=40) to beat him. BORING!

In a random world, where the hammer of my enemy has a chance to hit of 50% and the damage range is 8+4*RND and my chance to hit is 70% and my damage is 9+1*RND I suddenly have a chance to win. INTERESTING!

Big, big confusion between randomness and uncertainty.

The outcome of an event is unknown due to uncertainty. Uncertainty is required for that type of games indeed.

Randomness is one means that might be used to modelize uncertainty.

RPG's and Board games are a bit different in that RPG's generally use dice a lot whereas board games tend to be all over the map in the mechanics, the more strategic ones don't use dice at all.

So, is anyone using their Early Access so far?

Me... not really. I wanted to take an early look at M&MX, but a simple board game? Think I'll wait for the full release.

So, Talisman has been out for a while. The Thing is I haven't received a Steam key. The other Problem is that I only dimly remember what package I bought exactly - I think it included Talisman Prologue and Talisman Digital Edition (once released) and was called the Silver [something]. Does anyone have a similar problem?

Back
Top Bottom