Dungeon Siege 3 - Review Roundup #7

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another handful of Dungeon Siege 3 reviews from various sources.
GameZone enjoyed it a lot, awarding 8.5/10:
If you’re looking for an enjoyable, dungeon-crawling, hack-and-slash, action role-playing game that two people can play on the same screen, then this game is right up your alley. To be honest, it’s the most fun I’ve had with a game of its genre in quite some time. The game takes place in the same lands as the other Dungeon Siege games, but aside from some references and evolved environments, you would never know. The story stands completely independent from the other games.
Gaming Illustrated were around the same mark, awarding 83%:
Dungeon Siege III is a really solid game and while not a total linear step forward for the Dungeon Siege III franchise, it’s a fun game that offers tons of great action and combat. The graphics are outstanding and the audio in the game has been done really well, too. The storyline won’t grip you and become the central focus of the game, but it’s just good enough to keep the game together. The gameplay is solid, offering good controls on all platforms if you use a controller and if you are on PC, it’s also recommended but utilizing a keyboard and mouse turned out to be fine after some getting used to. The multiplayer turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of the game, but overall, we really liked Dungeon Siege III and thought it was a really fun game to play.
OXM were almost overwhelmed by the complexity but managed to recover for an 8.5/10:
And what of the core gameplay? It’s all about the goodies. En route to the level cap of 30, you’ll attack, kill, loot, and repeat, gaining talents, abilities, skills, and proficiencies that allow you to kit out your hero to your specific preference. The many layers of these buffs and talents is a bit overwhelming at first, but before long you’ll have a firm handle on it. The same could be said of the Equip screen, where you’ll spend a lot of time trying on all of the new gear you scoop up from fallen foes. As soon as you realize that the best item is always at the top of the inventory list, you’ll be fine.
...and Basharran writes in with a Dutch review at Tweakers.net, where the score is 6/10, and apparently the game isn't worthy of the "Dungeon Siege" title.
More information.

I agree with the tweakers.net site.
There pro/cons are the way i see it too.

Pros
good loot and fights can be done easy or difficult

Cons
- Graphics are sub standard
- BAD CAM/controls
- No followers ? (bad step from DS1 and 2)

well graphics are not a con for me but the other 2 hurt the game.

Last edited:
No followers.. ? You get companion characters with a pretty decent AI. You can't control them, but they're definitely very useful.

Not just this time but nearly every round of reviews there seems to be a rather high deviation in score; with some folks rating it the pits and others quite enjoyable. Difficult to tell but is the pattern pc vs xbox or any other distinct pattern ?

Not just this time but nearly every round of reviews there seems to be a rather high deviation in score; with some folks rating it the pits and others quite enjoyable. Difficult to tell but is the pattern pc vs xbox or any other distinct pattern ?

It's relatively common for Obsidian titles. They have something of a style that people seem to either love or hate.

It's a bit odd in the case of DS3 though, as DS3 differs from most Obsidian titles, but the scores still seem to differ as much as always.

Im willing to bet that MOST not all that are enjoying this piece of garbage are playing on the couch in front of a TV not including PS3 because they have Dungeon Hunter wich i think stays true to the genre.

I don't have a problem with the scores being high, except I really don't get it. I mean, it's an entertaining and reasonably solid dungeon slasher, but it does absolutely NOTHING to set it apart. The visuals are decent, nothing more. The story is fairly engaging, nothing more - and so on.

It's basically living off the established hack/slash formula, whilst pointlessly ignoring several of its strengths.

It's a 6-7/10 game if ever there was one.

i have refrained from posting about the game, not to influence people, into not buying the game :D
its kinda junk, but if a followup will come (wich i hope it won't) i have some input
1 - take care of those npc, they are as dumb as in an ordinary rpg , come on obsidian
2 - nice touch for a hardcore gamer, but the graphics gets in the way, when you have to read the animations, and timing is everything, i really dont need my screen filled with useless graphics, this is an issue for electronic sports, you should consider it , ofc there still are users that go WOW, the screen is filled with effects, but that won't last :)
3 - i criticised the npc, how about yourself, you barely see your own face
4 - dialog is not bad, but not great, i don't think i found anything funny in the entire game (variation)
5 - it sucked that i could complete the game without compromising, always picking win win situations, a good experience comes from the burden of decisions, from tragedy, from injustice, from deep moral choice.
6 - quest design sucked, it felt made by the same man, in the same style
7 - music was nothing big
8 - no point in replaying it, if you are shown all the skills in one playthrough
i forgot other problems i had with it, as i finished it a month ago

Back
Top Bottom