Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ NowGamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Deus Ex: Human Revolutions Game Director Jean-Francois Dugas has been interviewed at NowGamer. Here's a good snip, even though the author needs an RPG history lesson:
The original Deus Ex pioneered many features that have since become staple in the FPS genre, such as morality, choice, RPG elements and a detailed plot. Will Human Revolution deliver the same degree of invention and innovation?
Choice and consequence is at the heart of the Deus Ex 3 experience. So, yes, we want players to make choices that will affect some outcomes (story-wise and gameplay-wise). Like the first game, our game world is designed around a multi-path, multi-solution approach so any objective can be approached in different ways. Whether you like action, stealth, hacking, or social, you can complete objectives in different ways.

Open-ended gameplay allows the player to take advantage of multipath/multi-solutions to accomplish their objectives and explore the game world for side quests, hidden treasures, etc. Some RPG dialogs will be mandatory but most will be available to players in an optional form. Obviously there are benefits from a story and gameplay standpoint to talk to other characters but it’s not forced. If your play style is more centered on shooting, then so be it.
More information.

I want to see that, they are offering a lot, is hard to fill the boots of the original deus ex?
________
Lf-Xh

Last edited:
"Open-ended gameplay allows the player to take advantage of multipath/multi-solutions to accomplish their objectives and explore the game world for side quests, hidden treasures, etc."

OBLIVION
I always thought DeusEx could've used more of them hidden "treasures" or loot.

While we're at it, the "side-quests" in DX felt so goddamn natural that they hardly even felt like quests. Saving a girl from a junkie or saving the hotel owner from NSF.. etc. etc., they were there without feeling like "there must be some great reward for this side-quest", you did them a favor if you felt like playing a good guy.

But these developers are taking the "RPG" bit way too seriously in traditional manner it seems. I am afraid it will end up like Oblivion (I just hope there aren't floating exclamation marks as well).

The more people you please, the less you will please the indivdual.

Is it better to please a lot of people to a smaller degree, than fewer people to a greater degree?

The capitalist will say yes.

Is it better to please a lot of people to a smaller degree, than fewer people to a greater degree?

You have changed the way I look at things. Opened my eyes. Truer words have never been posted before. It's like a whole new world for me.

I hope the capitalist will be happy.

FIN

You have changed the way I look at things. Opened my eyes. Truer words have never been posted before. It's like a whole new world for me.

I hope the capitalist will be happy.

FIN

Hilerious !!

I'm a CAPITALIST :)

Please remember that - partly because of people demanding so much of an excellent graphics quality, otherwise they won't bu any game - the development costs have somewhat increased - so much in fact that they seem to NEED to appeal to the greatest possible mass just in order to get only the development costs back !

Wouldn't "the public" be THAT demanding, the development costs would be smaller - and the costs could rather be put into other fields of development, I assume.

Back
Top Bottom