Space Siege - Demo Released

I've played the demo and feels pretty cheap. It's cliche, mediocre and way too dumbed down. You don't even pick up items anymore. Everything turns to parts and you use certain numbers of those 'parts' to upgrade items.

And yeah, it is very short. You basically run through corridors shooting everything that moves. If this is what a 2008 so called ation-rpg is, I'm not impressed.

Just completed the demo mission - took 15 minutes or so.

Not too exciting, but not terrible either. It looks like a game that will be reasonably entertaining while it lasts, but immediately forgotten afterwards. I might just pick it up and have fun for a few hours.

Mostly because sci-fi themed games with RPG elements are quite rare and I can't get enough of that mix.

Visually, it's decent but not great looking. No anti-aliasing hurts and the engine is obviously a limited upgrade of the one they used for Dungeon Siege 2. I like the destructible environments, which did add a little something to an otherwise simplified action RPG. That said, it's not QUITE as simplified as I thought it would be, and though there seems to be only one class, there is a good amount of tweaking possible - both in terms of character upgrades and weapon upgrades. It's not the kind of game I expect to play though more than once, so it's not a typical Diablo experience. It's just a one-time thing and as such, I think there's plenty of variety in terms of developing your guy. Don't expect loot either, but rather materials to upgrade your weapons. There ARE multiple weapons that you'll find along the way, but they work like in most shooters in that you apparently get a new one every few levels or so.

The story seemed as standard as it gets, and the gameplay structure is very much like the original Dungeon Siege. There was next to no NPC interaction in the demo, and the progression seems 100% linear as far as I can see.

Anyway, not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but I think it has something to do with very low expectations. I personally love the Diablo formula, and the prospect of playing various characters for many playthroughs. But it was made clear that this game isn't about that, and so I think I was helped by knowing that going in.

In short, a mindless blast-fest with reasonable production values and enough variety in terms of developing your character to make it interesting.

Its not that bad.

Actually i enjoyed it quite much. It really brought back that "ALIEN BREED" feeling (oh the good old Amiga days)

I still do not understand why they didnt go for WASD movement , while mouse would be used to turn the character and fire. It would make the action incredibly fun and arcade like.

As for graphic. Dungeon Siege 2 engine. (I didnt like it. DS1 engine was much better imho)

It looks ok.

Hack and slash , and its sci-fi. Sounds fine to me.

Now only thing left to find out is how many gameplay hours the game will have.

Really excellent. State of the art. Top notch graphics.

Oh, wait... you mean it's not 2005?

Played the demo as well: too bad. I thought that finally this could become the first acceptable hack & slay in a science fiction setting. Well, it's not. Much too simplistic. Really no motivation to play on. It could have been so much more if they had just transposed the Dungeon Siege mechanics into a futuristic setting. I think everyone would have bought it.
I for my part will leave this one on the shelf. Maybe when it comes as a budget title at a very cheap price, then I'm gona give it a try. But not sooner.

Yep, not terrible, but not worth the bandwidth it sucked from my crappy new connection.

Ah nuts.
I prefer Sci Fi in novels over fantasy and would love a decent Sci Fi rpg. This isn't it.
I am pretty easy to please really:
Oblivion in space? please
NWN (and 2) in space? sure
TOEE in space? sign me up!

This is just aweful though, well for me. I like interaction and inventories and reasonable micromanagement of characters. This game was not aimed at me in anyway.

I can see how people could like it but with out all the stuff that goes along with a typical rpg I just find it pointless. Sometimes I like just running around shooting stuff and for that I will play an FPS. If I don't want to read a book but want to be involved in a story line or with a character I play a RPG.

I. too, have played the (very) short demo. It took me about 20-25 minutes to complete it. It's not that great, it's not that bad. It's a middle of the road fun for all action shooter with some rpg lite elements thrown in for good measure. The thing is though: It never pretend that it is more than this.

I agree on the horrid controls as well...

Back
Top Bottom