10 Best RPGs on the iPhone @ GamePro

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We don't regularly do handheld coverage but I bet a few of you have iPhones. GamePro has an article titled the 10 Best RPGs on the iPhone - hopefully there's some good mobile gaming in there:
We highlight the ten best role playing video games available on the iPhone today, including everything from action RPGs like Across Age to first-person Oblivion-esque titles like Ravensword.
More information.

Ravensword? The rpg elements in that game are very minimal at best. Much more of an adventure than an rpg that's for sure. Undercroft should be on that list as well. An excellent party-based turn-based game. Never played Across Age, so I can't comment on that game.Sword and poker is a must if you are a fan of puzzle quest. An outstanding combination of rpg and poker! Dungeon Hunter is fun but strictly a hack'n'slash. I have Necromancer Rising but have not played it yet. The Quest I also have, as well as all expansions, but I am saving that game for a rainy day. Inotia 2 I also havent played yet. Zenonia is an action rpg that is ok, but nothing that hasn't been done before. Omitting Undercroft is a serious mistake though. I generally do not like party based games, but this one had me hooked from the get-go.

Last edited:
Actually a pretty decent list of stuff. Final Fantasy I & II just launched, and I also like the Wolfenstein RPG, not to mention Arvale ...

Some of those look really good.
Any one know of a good RPG for a Windows Phone?
I have an HTC HD2 with a 4.3" screen and 1GHZ processor so speed isn't an issue.

Some of those look really good.
Any one know of a good RPG for a Windows Phone?
I have an HTC HD2 with a 4.3" screen and 1GHZ processor so speed isn't an issue.

Arvale is excellent ... so is The Quest, Undercroft, Pocket Everquest, Ultima Underworld, Ancient Evil, and probably others I should remember ...

Arvale is excellent … so is The Quest, Undercroft, Pocket Everquest, Ultima Underworld, Ancient Evil, and probably others I should remember …
I continue to be amazed at how many games you know … for all sorts of platforms no less.

I continue to be amazed at how many games you know … for all sorts of platforms no less.

Thanks ... :)

The funny thing is that we just got my younger son a PS2 and I'm pretty much a total n00b with that system ...

The list misses nethack!
I tried the Quest demo, but I got a little bummed at the lack of AI in that game. Got mobbed by two Orks and ran across half the map, but they just keep on following. Ran all the way back to town, but the guards did not react to the situation at all. Went into a tavern, slept for a day, came out, Orks are still there. Of this type of games, undercroft seems the stronger offering judging from the demos - denser content, more tactical combat (party based).
Ravensword, which I just started, has much of the air of an open world RPG in the exploration and fighting pars, but the mechanics are indeed more those of an action adventure. So think KQ:Mask of Eternity more than TES. Its enjoyable if you can arrange yourself with a complete lack of character customization.

Last edited:
Gamebook Adventures

Hi guys. Just caught this thread on RPGWatch and thought I would throw in a game for iPhone I've been involved with. Called An Assassin in Orlandes, it is the first in the Gamebook Adventures series. While strictly not an RPG, it may interest some of you. You can get more info here. There's a detailed description and vid there.

I've actually got a load of promo codes to give-away so if anyone is interested then let me know. (promo codes only work in the US app store by the way)

Also try Monster RPG 2. It's a jRPG with retro graphics, but it's executed very well. I'm still playing Final Fantasy, though. There are so many RPGs on the iPhone today compared to last time I posted about it here. But it could still be more!!

Oh, and I think Pocket Everquest is for Windows Mobile. Don't think it's available for iPhone.

Yeah, he asked about WiMo RPG ... many similar titles and ALL duplicates are better on iPhone.

Undercroft… Please have a look at my post in another thread on that gem. That's one even worth playing on PC, way above "mobile" games.

The Quest is a rough game, I mean - there's no running. You stumble into the wrong enemy and it's over. Theyll follow you all the way into town and slay you in front of the guards.

Despite that, I liked what I saw. I just have a hard time sitting and playing a game on my iPhone when Ive got lots of PC games I'd rather play. Then, if I'm stuck somewhere, the game will kill my battery quickly enough to make me just surf the net or somethng. Chances are, ill never get back to it.

Yeah, he asked about WiMo RPG … many similar titles and ALL duplicates are better on iPhone.

Oh, right. Ultima Underworld is available on WinMo!?? Why is that not on iPhone!! But yeah, the iPhone is really good (i.e. the best) for games compared to all other phones.

I just have a hard time sitting and playing a game on my iPhone when Ive got lots of PC games I'd rather play.

There have actually been a couple of games that had me playing on my iPhone at home, with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC turned off. One of those is Final Fantasy. It's an acquired taste and the random encounters are repetetive and torturous as hell, but I like it. :) But the idea of playing a small device while I could play an arguably superior game on the 36" screen is rather bizarre.

It's got something special, though. Just me and this small, flat device. :)

This list misses one of the most addictive RPG I have played so far and for three years on the iPhone/iPad…Heroes Battle, the creator has also released Vampire Stories…Both have a different game play, it is really fun and I can't put them down…new updates are regularly released as well as new features…the graphs are awesome, the ingame chat are really convenient to make new friends worldwide, events are organized…well I give a 9 out of 10 to both of these app

Check them out here:
http://www.tapstic.com/

I didn't even know you could play RPGs on an Iphone. Technology is crazy.

However, I'm not sure I would choose the Iphone as a platform that I support. Don't they only have a few hours battery life? And the screens are so small. And no sticks or buttons?

I'll stick to consoles. :)

I didn't even know you could play RPGs on an Iphone. Technology is crazy.

However, I'm not sure I would choose the Iphone as a platform that I support. Don't they only have a few hours battery life? And the screens are so small. And no sticks or buttons?

I'll stick to consoles. :)

I didn't even know you could play an rpg on a console. technology is crazy.

However , I'm not sure I would choose a console as a platform that I support. Don't the have 7 yr old technology? And the resolution is so low and frame rates so slow. And no mouse or WSAD?

I'll stick to PC's.

Just so you know this is mostly jest but also something to think about. Not interested in a platform war.

Btw iPhones and iPad have exceptional battery life.

Is there a list for Android phones, after all it has a much bigger market share than iPhones?

Back
Top Bottom