Browsers

That's because half the components needed for IE are already loaded when Windows starts. Yay Microsoft? Don't think so.

I know, but on this aging machine, I need any speed shortcut where I can get it.

Linux then? Xubuntu if you're unfamiliar with it, or anything else with Xfce will be just great no matter how old the machine is (there are, of course, environments which are even more minimalistic, but they do take a bit of getting used to).

Kubuntu is great, too (Ubuntu with the KDE GUI). Fast and (gasp) intuitive. It'll be the next version of Linux on my current personal machine.

Linux then? Xubuntu if you're unfamiliar with it, or anything else with Xfce will be just great no matter how old the machine is (there are, of course, environments which are even more minimalistic, but they do take a bit of getting used to).
I second that. It´s absolutely unbelievable how much faster Linux is on low end machines. If you find the correct distribution coming with everything you need out of the box the installation is no problem and routine work like browsing and watching the occasional movie is done like in Windows.
Something like a 1 GHz PC with 512 MB RAM is perfectly fine for a KDE or Gnome desktop.

Im a webdeveloper and everyone in our firm uses firefox. Allthough we do make sure that everything is compatible with IE too. Personally I test everything with firefox, ie7, ie6 and opera.

Back
Top Bottom