The Cranky Grandma's Thread

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
It has come to my attention, that this site has a number of cranky Grandma's, headed by a certain CM who shall of course remain nameless!! It therefore seems only fair to give them their own thread in which to discuss secret grandma business, moderated by Jaz, who is not a cranky grandma!! (yet :) ) So, go for it girls and have fun!!!! :biggrin:

Weaseling out of the mod duties? Can't handle it, eh?

Jaz, you can be an honorary grandma. In fact, so can Corwin. :p

Yeah, let's all be grandmas and discuss!

I'm not completely a grandma yet, my little one is only 7. :)
My stephdaughter shocked us all rcently by announcing she has a bun in the oven though, so there is that. (I will not be called grandma at the tender age of 30 though ;) )

Yes Wulf you are right. I think Corwin's definition of a Cranky Grandma is anyone he can't get the better of. :lol: So that pretty much leaves the door open for most all to post here.

Even if he manages to beat you, he will forget how he did it and you still win. MUHAHAHAHA

By the way, I think this one earned you another check on my list. :leer:

I know I'm getting old because I've passed the point where I lie about my age and instead brag about how cool I am to have survived this long!

You know, on reflection, I actually do have some secret grandma business to post. We're planning on giving the grandkids one of my old computers(XP, PIII processor)--does anyone have any recommendations for good pc games for kids? They already game a little on their other grandma's machine and have a playstation of course, so they probably are better gamers than me...they are seven and eight years old, male, and also play a lot of sports. I have absolutely no idea what's out there for kids.

Any thoughts?

I suppose "Playboy Mansion" is right out? ;)

The Wild Dogs have gotten a lot of mileage out of the I Spy series. Might be a bit juvenile, but they don't seem to mind. Probably not what you're looking for, but it's about the only thing on my shelf that doesn't scream "GIRLIE".

I know I'm getting old because I've passed the point where I lie about my age and instead brag about how cool I am to have survived this long!

You know, on reflection, I actually do have some secret grandma business to post. We're planning on giving the grandkids one of my old computers(XP, PIII processor)--does anyone have any recommendations for good pc games for kids? They already game a little on their other grandma's machine and have a playstation of course, so they probably are better gamers than me...they are seven and eight years old, male, and also play a lot of sports. I have absolutely no idea what's out there for kids.

Any thoughts?

My little girl (aged 7) loves to play Fate at the moment:
http://www.fatethegame.com/

She also likes Themepark World, Wildlife Tycoon, Catz 5 and Dogz 5 and most Disney themed games.

A good site to get info on games for children is here:
http://www.gamerdad.com/

You can search on platform and age, and the games are reviewed especially for parents, with children in mind. The reviews are very clear and easy to read, I use the site a lot to find games for my little 'un.

I suppose "Playboy Mansion" is right out? ;)

While I'm sure being male, they would love "Playboy Mansion," I would like to remain on speaking terms with their mother.:)

The Wild Dogs have gotten a lot of mileage out of the I Spy series. Might be a bit juvenile, but they don't seem to mind. Probably not what you're looking for, but it's about the only thing on my shelf that doesn't scream "GIRLIE

So it's "My Pretty Pony" meets "Barbie's Hollywood Adventure" all the way at your house, dte? :biggrin:

Sorcha I appreciate your input. Some of those games sound like I might enjoy playing them myself. (Second childhood? No, just perpetual immaturity;) )

Thanks for the ideas. I can't believe I forgot Mike's site--it looks like a perfect way to check things out. Lego Star Wars looks like a possibility at the moment. I'd like to find something that challenges their devious little minds:)

Yeah, when in doubt, ask Mike. he's the 'gamer dad' for gamer grands!! :) As you begin the slide into senility (ask CM about that :) ), you'll want to play those games too!! :biggrin:

PS, glad you're all taking this thread in the spirit I intended!! :)

Hey now, Brenda of Wiz8 fame was the lead designer on "Playboy Mansion". I'd bet there's some quality content hidden amongst "teh boobiez". Couldn't say for certain since I couldn't get it thru my front door without catching a fork in the eye from She Who Must Be Obeyed (perfect title shamelessly stolen from Badger).

*flipping thru a stack of Barbie and Disney titles*
Nope, no "Hollywood Adventure" yet. That's probably on the shopping list.

More to the original topic, I'm curious if some of our resident experts might clarify for me why parents completely lose their minds upon becoming grandparents. My dad, as straight-laced and strict as they come, has taken to teaching the Wild Dogs to burp at the table and spit for distance (skills which I'm sure will get them top-shelf prom dates). I think he's been taken over by aliens.

Hey Dte, he is not alone. I love teaching mine stuff I would never let my kids do, just to punish my girls for all the grey hair they gave me. :lol:

As to pc games, there are a lot. Gamerdad was going to be my suggestion as well. Lego has some games for pc, and if you have a store near you with a real collection you should find several race car games, football, ect that are for the younger ones.

Mine are actually trying to play Dungeon Seige atm. I doubt they will finish it, but the controls are easy and they don't tend to die very often. ;)

Back
Top Bottom