Fable 3 - Re-Announced for PC at CES

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Microsoft has re-announced the PC version of Fable III at CES, with the title due "later this year". Apparently a port a year later demonstrates Microsoft commitment to Windows gaming or something. From IGN:
Microsoft chose CES to unveil the PC edition of Fable III, the successful third entry in Lionhead's Xbox adventure trilogy. There were no specific announcements about Fable III for CES beyond having it in their booth. Microsoft just wanted to reveal the game and reassure PC gamers that Microsoft remains very active with Games for Windows.
Coming later this year -- Microsoft did not give out a firm release date -- Fable III for the PC will feature a fresh visual pass to take advantage of graphics cards and processors that now outstrip the Xbox 360. Certainly the version of Fable III I played today looked sharper than it did on Xbox 360, with crisper textures.
More information.

As with every other title, I will judge it at the time of release according to what I can gather from reviews and word of mouth, where it will have to measure up to any other title that might be out at the time. If they really think their game is awesome enough that it beats other titles on the PC even one year after the original release, heck, they should go for it!

Very active is different, though.

As with every other title, I will judge it at the time of release according to what I can gather from reviews and word of mouth, where it will have to measure up to any other title that might be out at the time. If they really think their game is awesome enough that it beats other titles on the PC even one year after the original release, heck, they should go for it!

Very active is different, though.

Nothing wrong with judging a game at its release, but honestly use your brain alittle. Give me one reason a crappy shitbox game will be good on pc ! Heck it stank on a shitbox so why will it be good now ? Wake up...

Nothing wrong with judging a game at its release, but honestly use your brain alittle. Give me one reason a crappy shitbox game will be good on pc ! Heck it stank on a shitbox so why will it be good now ? Wake up…

So to be open-minded about a game and perhaps have a different opinion than you means he is stupid? Your logic is simply brilliant.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with judging a game at its release, but honestly use your brain alittle. Give me one reason a crappy shitbox game will be good on pc ! Heck it stank on a shitbox so why will it be good now ? Wake up…

I'm not interested in the game personally but give up on the "shitbox" crap, will you? It's juvenile.

Earlier this week, I even saw a soundtrack audio CD in an electronics shop ! Of Fable 3 ! It looked legal …

That`s one port I`m totally content with being left on Molyneux`s beloved console. From the reviews it seems it`s again the same case as with the previous two - lots and lots of hot air before release and actual game being...good? just about good? tolerable? mediocre? ...well something along these lines.

Not a gaming-world changing extravaganza like ol` Peter would like us to believe...

Earlier this week, I even saw a soundtrack audio CD in an electronics shop ! Of Fable 3 ! It looked legal …

Heh - just checked and its available on Amazon. A little crazy to buy something like this in my opinion, though not the first game soundtrack I heard of.

Regarding the game specifically, I never owned a console and do not plan to buy one, so anything published there exclusively gets exactly zero interest from me. I did not even read a single review for Fable 3. That said, I will support anyone who wants to port a game to the PC; as long as I am not forced to buy it. Even an over-the-top mountebank like Peter Molyneux.

Not a gaming-world changing extravaganza like ol` Peter would like us to believe…

(sigh) Has it ever been? I have never seen someone who loved to hear themselves talk (and not deliver) as much as he, barring politicians.

Just finished it tonight. I'd give it about a 7 or 7.5. It's ok. It's lightweight fun, but nothing memorable.

Positives would be the colorful environments, the visual flair of combat, and some of the humor (though much is sophmoric, and the gnomes are now just annoying a-holes rather than witty).

Negatives would be the ease of combat, the miscellaneous social nonsense (e.g., clothing, dyes, hairstyles, property decoration, gestures, etc.), having to enact silly gestures in order to get XP from villagers, the way the game calculates morality (a few pragmatic decisions to save the whole of Albion turned me into a representative of Satan, despite a long history of good acts), and the lack of meaningful reward for exploration.

Molyneux was all about the ideas way before that, though.

If you look at the games of Bullfrog - you'll find that every single game since Populous has been about trying something new and interesting, and in my personal opinion - all of them were severely flawed because the actual gameplay was never that good. Sometimes the ideas themselves were so neat/great that they overcame the dodgy gameplay, but I'd have to say that was rare and certainly didn't carry a single entire game in my experience.

One notable exception would be Syndicate - which DIDN'T have Molyneux at the helm, but one of the coders IIRC.

Even the "greats" like Dungeon Keeper and Magic Carpet were cute/interesting, more than working solid game designs.

Naturally, that's just my opinion - but that's how I've always seen it.

Molyneux is not a designer, he's a child in a position to create toys - and that's what he's doing. The sad part, actually, is that he's been increasingly focused on making games rather than toys, and since he's incompetent in that way - he's never going to fully succeed until someone else calls the shots.

"Flawed" I can agree with, but not "severely". Also these flaws were easily forgivable, since game design was so groundbreaking. The games were heaps of fun too, and luckily I was young enough not to dissect them in a manner I might these days.

So, for example, even if I never truly mastered Powermonger, I always came back just to fiddle about with things and see what happens. It was so ahead of it`s time and also full of promise about videogames in general… (glad I didn`t know what will be the state of affairs in 2011 :)

Syndicate - yeah, it was kinda solid, but also bit disappointing for me, maybe for that reason. The solidness took out the crazy innovation and once you got over the graphics and flamethrowers it was quite a dull game. As for Magic Carpet I must disagree- finished both and don`t recall any serious flaws…

Well now he`s got a real toy to play with, the all-conquering Kinect. Good luck with that, I hope he lays off this tired Fable franchise at least for a while...

"Flawed" I can agree with, but not "severely". Also these flaws were easily forgivable, since game design was so groundbreaking. The games were heaps of fun too, and luckily I was young enough not to dissect them in a manner I might these days.

So, for example, even if I never truly mastered Powermonger, I always came back just to fiddle about with things and see what happens. It was so ahead of it`s time and also full of promise about videogames in general… (glad I didn`t know what will be the state of affairs in 2011 :)

Syndicate - yeah, it was kinda solid, but also bit disappointing for me, maybe for that reason. The solidness took out the crazy innovation and once you got over the graphics and flamethrowers it was quite a dull game. As for Magic Carpet I must disagree- finished both and don`t recall any serious flaws…

Well now he`s got a real toy to play with, the all-conquering Kinect. Good luck with that, I hope he lays off this tired Fable franchise at least for a while…

Well, I have to bow to the response Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, and the rest of them have gotten over the years.

I'm a difficult player, it has to be said :)

But none of them worked for me beyond the novel ideas and the "toy" aspect of playing around with them.

Dungeon Keeper was pretty damn close, but I didn't care for the mission-based design - and I was a bit pissed at Molyneux and Co. for abandoning the original promises.

I remember reading that it would be possible to play the "Dungeon Master" and have friends take the roles of the heroes in a traditional CRPG fashion. Meaning you could design devious dungeons with puzzles and traps - and have other players going through them.

The result was, again in my opinion, something entirely different. Traditional mission-based design, that they've used ever since Populous. Meaning you had to start over - building a dungeon - a dozen times (once for each mission) and the challenge was figuring out the "puzzle" of the mission, rather than developing a strong dungeon with powerful creatures. I'd rather have a single campaign with a single dungeon expanding and evolving indefinitely.

Multiplayer was broken with impractical combat and inane AI.

Don't get me wrong, though. It oozed charm and style, but it just didn't work for me.

Powermonger was entertaining, but ultimately it was more a showcase of the neat 3D graphics and a rather simplistic strategy game. Didn't last long, even back then.

Magic Carpet was beautiful - but again with mindless mission-based design, doing the exact same thing over and over. Multiplayer was fun for a little while, because the idea of a flying carpet was great - and just like they did with Populous and the rest of their games, they gave you new toys as you progressed.

I don't think I have to comment on Black and White, but the media certainly loved it :)

But I realise some of their old stuff is hailed as classic material - and I'll just have to disagree.

Well, I have to bow to the response Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, and the rest of them have gotten over the years.

I'm a difficult player, it has to be said :)

But none of them worked for me beyond the novel ideas and the "toy" aspect of playing around with them.

"Difficult"? More akin to Halo`s Legendary I`d say :) And I`m not exactly plain sailing myself...

I can more or less agree about the flaws, and rather toying than playing with these games. Still, they remain a top dog for me just for this dare to be different schtick. We need this kind of stuff- well, speaking theoretically of course, since it`s more or less done & dusted this century.
Devs like Shiny, early Ubisoft, Looking Glass and some others were constantly innovating and though their games varied in quality, at least they tried. And some of these tries came together and are my all time favourites...

It`s true that even back then Molyneux was an insane chatterbox, bigging up ideas he surely knew won`t ever make it into finished product. And the ever-cheering press is to blame too, maybe if they called him out on some of the BS back then things would be different.

Still, just look around the sorry landscape that`s mainstream videogaming in 2011...with few exceptions it`s rather tedious.

Well, at least I have the old Japan to fall back on :)

You (almost) all talk as if Mr. Molineux never did anything besides the Fable games, no Poloulos, no Syndicate, no Dungeon Keeoper, no Magic Carpet, no Theme Park … Nothing but the Fable series …

Back
Top Bottom