DA:O Wow I'm Out

Dragon Age: Origins
You need better magic.

Of course i need better magic but what happens if i don't wanna have any magician in my party? It is supposed that you can have anyone in your party , like 3 archers .

I had to abandon my ranged elf character, no way to win the duel in the capital , what happens in hard level, the knight kills you with his eyes or something?

Just started a dual dagger elf assassin , looks to be slightly easier .

I generally think that the game apart from brutally difficult for the casual gamers like me it is also very restrictive ; for example i understand that i need 28 dexterity to unlock a skill but why the hell i must be level 12 ?

……., smacking my head against the wall, drawing blood and making symbols next to my laptop etc. and won. {snip}. I'm trying every tactic I've ever employed along with real world ritual sacrifices to scrape by. Anyway I'm off to play now. I've got my ritual dagger - were is that other cat?
:lol:

One thing that sort of surprises me is that this is being marketed as mainstream accessible. It AINT. At least not on normal. I can't imagine a non micromanaging RPG junky getting anywhere in this game on normal.
JDR 13 said:
I'm also starting to get a bit frustrated sometimes, but not because the game is genuinely difficult, but rather because the shoddy AI makes some battles harder than they should be

I'm finding the AI almost non-existent, if you set tactics off. I'm at the point where I have to micro-manage all the time, even with tactics on. I thought I'd take a break from micro-managment for a bit (did this in Drakensang, and it still worked out Ok-ish , and I seldom even really micro-manage every single party-member in NWN 2); but I quickly had to press pause and take full control again, because one or two of my people were just standing there like dolts, while other party members where taking all the flak.

yeah, luckily I like doing the puppetmaster thing and micro'ing every single action by every character. Takes a bit longer, but at least I get the results that I want. Most times ='.'=

Well, I'm off for my second restart unfortunately.. Didnt feel the love for my first character's appearance (a bit vain I am) so I restarted right after origin. I was making a bow rogue on my second foray, and I'm sorry, theyre just looking pretty boring compared to all cool the sneaking in and backstabbing/poisoning/flurrying down-and-dirty rogue stuff you get when you go the other route.

Does anyone else think the archery talent spectrum looks friggen boring, or is it just me? Most times looks like the same thing repeated over and over again. Plus, ranged just seems weak... a departure from the super-bows of the BG series if people are keeping tabs on the similarities/departures from the spiritual successor formula

Here we go…

Re ranged: Well, I originally had my main character warrior doing ranged with a crossbow, and then coming in for melee with a greatsword, to help my main tank, when he started to struggle, but I'm actually seeing better results rather using melee for my warrior all the way with dual-wielding, and my two mages as rangers, buffing, attacking, and stunning enemies from afar.

So no more bow/crossbow ranged for me. My rogue can have all my bows and crossbows. I've found that they're only nice if you have enchanted arrows or bolts, and those are damned expensive.

First thing I do when I acquire a new companion is checking the disable tactics button.
I find micromanaging in this game to be very smooth and I´m pretty sure that, at least on hard, it´s the fastest way to win most of the battles anyway.
Plus, there´s that unfortunate decision to make amount of tactics slots skill based...

I don't have much trouble with the AI. For the most part they work fine and I let them have fun (I'm playing in hard difficulty too). Now, on the tougher battles I do micromanage them. Their behavior is in the tactics menu. If you want them to always attack something, select 'any, attack nearest' or whatever.

Last edited:
The AI in this game leaves a lot to be desired.
Indeed. You're pretty much forced to micromanage your party all the time if you don't want to be losing battles a lot. One infuriating thing about the party AI is, that if your PCs knock down an enemy (e.g. with shield bash or pommel strike), they forget their target and stand around doing nothing until someone attacks them. *sigh*

Also, I cannot fathom how the party AI somehow decides that mages should switch to their back-up daggers (weap. set 2, for out-of-mana emergencies) when an enemy gets close, when that mage has loads of mana left and several spells to stun/daze the enemy, and of course spells that damage the enemy a whole lot more than a dagger.

Oh well, that's just the tip of the iceberg, really. I'm just miffed that a triple-A modern RPG is released with an AI this poor. This isn't AI, it AS (Artificial Stupidity).

Then set them to aggressive…
And have them charging everything that moves and changing targets willy-nilly? No, thank you. IMO, the "normal AI" (and an AI following orders) should remember the target I've given it, which they just attacked and knocked down, and continue attacking it, until the enemy is dead or given another target.

Can anyone guess what I'd like to do to the f-tard who thought these Revenants would be a 'fun' addition to this %$(&%$ game?!?!?!?

Me too. Unfortunately, the SECOND one 2 levels later is even worse because he freaking scaled and became worse somehow, relative to my party. I tried about 9 times to kill the damn thing and couldnt get below half health. Luckily he was not a critical kill so I left. But seriously WTF. I just finished another epic random encounter costing me 2 character deaths :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

I have no problems with them; my spells whittle them down quite quickly!! :)

Can anyone guess what I'd like to do to the f-tard who thought these Revenants would be a 'fun' addition to this %$(&%$ game?!?!?!?

Um... something a bit more bloody than what you did to the cat? :p

Its a homage to the liches in BG2 and at the end of it (also the toughest fight in the game), you get the ebst sword in the game.

Also
a tip to beat the first revenant where before you go into the arl's castle, you can open the gate and let the soldiers attack him for a while to whittle down his health and then kill him)

Me too. Unfortunately, the SECOND one 2 levels later is even worse because he freaking scaled and became worse somehow, relative to my party. I tried about 9 times to kill the damn thing and couldnt get below half health. Luckily he was not a critical kill so I left. But seriously WTF. I just finished another epic random encounter costing me 2 character deaths :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Everyone is different, and I liked the Revenant fights, they were some of the most enjoyable fights in the game for me. I really had to use every trick I had at my disposal to kill them (potions, bombs, spells) and it felt very satisfying when I finally figured out how to win.

I wouldn't want every single fight to as hard as the 3 revenats in the Brecilian forest, but I like when you once in a while find a battle that is extremely difficult to beat, as long as it's an optional fight.

And I think this is the point. They are optional. Compare them to (if you have played it) Kangaxx, Firkraag, and the twisted rune in Baldur's Gate 2. Very hard fights that are put into the game for people who like that sort of thing, but are skipable for a reason. Just like several other hard fights later in Dragon Age, you can avoid them and still continue the main quest without missing out of much.

You can also leave the Revenants for now, and come back later when you are stronger (just like you had to with Firkraag if you got there too early). I can also imagine that Revenants are almost impossible to beat without a healer in your party and plenty of healing potions.

I have almost finished the game now, and so far only one fight in the entire game was extremely difficult to win, and also (as far as I know) unskipable. That was a fight close to the end against a very strong female fighter, and several archers. With hard I mean that I had to reload about 10 times (on hard) before I won.

And are you playing the game on normal? Why don't you change it to easy when you would find the game more enjoyable if you did so? There is no shame in playing on easy (not saying you think so, but some people seem to), the important thing is if you have a good time when you are playing. I had to do the same thing when I played Stalker, and that turned out to be a much better solution than just quitting a game I liked, but was too hard for me on the default difficulty.

Last edited:
And are you playing the game on normal? Why don't you change it to easy when you would find the game more enjoyable if you did so? There is no shame in playing on easy (not saying you think so, but some people seem to), the important thing is if you have a good time when you are playing. I had to do the same thing when I played Stalker, and that turned out to be a much better solution than just quitting a game I liked, but was too hard for me on the default difficulty.

That's just it though, people shouldn't have to change it to easy. The difficulty in DA is definitely a little skewed compared to other games, the "normal" setting is anything but normal. A lot of people complained about the difficulty of some of the battles in BG 1/2 and IWD 1/2, but I never felt any kind of outright frustration while playing those games. I think Bioware went overboard with the level scaling in DA.

Easy level get very hard after character hits 12 , tried archer & dual dagger rogue , nothing works .

I don't get why they made it this way , if any NPC/Beast needs more than 5 stubs to die then the game doesn't have an easy level.

Back
Top Bottom