Dungeon Siege 3 - Hands-on @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer has a look at Dungeon Siege 3, based on 10 hours with the preview code:
Dungeon Siege slots into the space in between these two extremes. Never quite big enough to attract Diablo-level passion (the movie adaptation fell to Uwe Boll, after all), but too ambitious in scope to fit comfortably with the new download aesthetic.
As it turns out, Dungeon Siege III looks set to define the middle ground. In a good way. Based on ten hours of roaming around the latest preview build, it looks like a robust, well-paced and carefully balanced dungeon crawl with a decent storyline and a journey that takes you through dozens of varied environments.
More information.

diablo was just first, that gives him a +200% value.
all this hype makes me a hater.
It worries me that he qualified the script as decent :[

Never quite big enough to attract Diablo-level passion (the movie adaptation fell to Uwe Boll, after all), but too ambitious in scope to fit comfortably with the new download aesthetic.

What does this sentence mean ?

Also nice : The initial comment on RPG action players :lol: :

All video games tap into our obsessive compulsive nature to some degree, but few do it more ruthlessly than the loot-dropping dungeon crawl RPG. This is a genre for people who feel a deep sense of personal failure if they don't smash every barrel, open every chest and own an inventory groaning with Rare Inferno Pantaloons of Swiftness.

Edit : It still remains a co-op game :

Once recruited you can switch your companion at any time, but this is strictly a two-handed affair. No four-way Gauntlet-style monster mash-ups, unfortunately.

And another snip :

It's a pity the same polish isn't evident in the characters populating the conversation scenes, where you pick responses with a Bioware-style chat wheel. Faces are stiff and the voice acting, while more than adequate, doesn't have enough personality to compensate.

Despite this, the game itself is surprisingly funny, with lots of pithy descriptions and sly in-jokes for fans. Most notably for those who loved the previous game and it's lovable roving inventory system, there's the "pitiful corpse" of a mule left by the roadside, crushed by the weight of "many suits of armor, sacks of gold and impractically large battleaxes".

And last :

The storyline feels very much like the Jedi Purge, told in the style of Game of Thrones.

Still on the fence about DS3. Not a huge fan of previous DS games, but am a fan of Obsidian. I know DS3 is going to be an ARPG, so I'm not expecting a seriously deep RPG experience or anything. Still, I'd trust Obsidian to try to instill more into the game than just hack & slash plus looting and I'm getting that vibe from these previews. How it actually pans out, we'll see.

I think I'll wait for a few reviews and especially a few fan reviews (here preferably), before making my decision. So, if any on you get DS3 on release day, I'd appreciate some comments about it here.

I know DS3 is going to be an ARPG, so I'm not expecting a seriously deep RPG experience or anything. Still, I'd trust Obsidian to try to instill more into the game than just hack & slash plus looting and I'm getting that vibe from these previews. How it actually pans out, we'll see.

This is pretty much what I'm expecting. I read another preview who complained that the game didn't have the same player agency in conversations like Alpha Protocol did, but I mean... I'm just not sure why anyone would expect that. It's been pretty clear from day one that DS3 will indeed have a more involved story and characters than the other two games, that there will be quite a lot of lore, but the focus is still on the ARPG experience. It's set up so that you won't need to delve into the story/lore and all that if you don't want to.

The combat I saw looked incredibly actiony and the enemies looked like trash mobs. I hope there's more to this game than kiddie action rpg with pointless combat and no depth in the world, etc..

The combat I saw looked incredibly actiony and the enemies looked like trash mobs. I hope there's more to this game than kiddie action rpg with pointless combat and no depth in the world, etc..

Well, its Dungeon Siege. DS 1 was the epitome of ultra-simplified combat. DS2 was apparently better, and 3 may be better yet, thanks to Obsidian - but if you are looking for "deep", I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom