The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death - Canceled

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Kickstarter for The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death has been canceled. Here is the information on the reasons for the cancelation and that they will be back.
We want to thank the almost 300 backers that have shown their faith in The Dark Triad: Dragon’s Death during this Kickstarter campaign. Thanks for your support and passion, for making great suggestions and engaging with the community in the comments section, and trying to spread the word about the game, we appreciate your efforts A LOT!
We’ve gotten $5,589 in 5 days. The first day was awesome, with more than $3,500 after Brian Fargo, inXile cofounder, tweeted "This game deserves a look at," on his account in reference to The Dark Triad: Dragon’s Death (thanks Brian and we wishTorment: Tides of Numenera breaks all records!!).
The days after have been a dire struggle to usher more potential backers to our KS page. The problem has been ours in part, as we hadn’t secured the services of a PR agency to spread the word properly. Second, this weekend PAX East was held, and next week it’s the GDC’s turn. This means that no matter how much money we would spent on PR right now, it would be almost impossible to be mentioned on gaming sites when the big boys on the block are gearing up to announcetheir coming games for the Christmas season. Besides, we launched after Torment: Tides of Numenera and Shroud of the Avatar were on KS, the two biggest projects since Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity. This may have made things more difficult, especially as backers might have supported both games and now would not have the money to spend on other smaller-scale projects such as ours.
Also, we must be critical of ourselves and recognize that we haven’t done a good job of conveying what the game is about. Yes, you know it’s a CRPG, and that there will be combat and dialogues, but the way we’ve explained it all has been confusing to say the least, and there was a lack of information regarding the main gameplay mechanics from the beginning, which we think hasn’t helped. It hasn’t helped either that some texts were not properly proofread due to a lack of coordination with our editors and translators because of the hour difference, which resulted in some glaring typos cropping up.
We are currently preparing a pitch and gameplay video that will explain much better how the combat and dialogues work, and what options are available in them. We’ll also redefine the story. Many of you said it was too convoluted, and maybe contained too many elements. Besides, we want to remove some important limitations, like that fact that the party member characters had to be from a certain race and classes, or that you couldn’t play with a female character on your party.
We will also adjust the initial scope of the game. We wanted to add many things, but we think it’s better to focus on the two main aspects of the game: a good turn-based combat and a nice non-combat conversation system. We will maintain and improve the graphic quality of the game, but we will reduce the game map extension. We can’t attempt to put in as many 3D assets as Baldur’s Gate, but we will maintain enough content for the game to provide dozens of hours of play. At the same time, this reduced map will allow us to reduce our pledge by almost half. And this is important, as we think that if potential backers see that we are near the funding goal, they will feel more confident in backing the project. Our goal is to expand the game content as soon as The Dark Triad is available for purchase.

<span>We have also detected a clear imbalance with the rewards. Once you create a tier and at least one backer has pledged for it, Kickstarter won’t allow you to add new rewards int...More information.

Sorry but Indiegogo is no for me.
If the project is back on KS, I'll pledge. Again.

It is good that company could determine its mistakes and now preparing much strong campaign than before. Many unsuccessful Kickstarter attempt couldn't do that and instead blamed the lack of interest.
It really looks like a promising project, so I hope they will make it in the second attempt. I also will wait for the new Kickstarter campaign rather than pledgin in Indiegogo.

This information actually makes we want to pledge. I was hesistant exactly because of the reasons he stated as problems, so they'll probably have my money if they try again with a "cleaner" pitch.

That's too bad I would have rather had this than torment or shroud.hopefully they get it all worked out and rebooted.

i didnt read this wall of text, but ran into the same problems when trying to pledge so i gave up and didnt really look back.

Think this is fundamentally a good project with what looks like a competent team and will definitely back it again if it relaunches. However, I do think they need to find better ways to differentiate what they are doing and I was particularly unimpressed by the story/plot aspects and standard fantasy tropes. And +1 to Brian Fargo for extending a hand to a new developer.

Highly reasonable approach (both the cancellation and the resolve to make a better pitch), but unnecessarily confusing due to the Indiegogo thing. They should just have come back on Kickstarter.

I think this is the best approach. And when they're back, I'm very sure they'll have a much better presentation and concise information about the game.

Looking forward to their rebirth :)

I like their odds on taking another crack at it, especially if they actually have physical Collector's Editions and whatnot from the onset alongside all the other lessons learned---if only more of the failed KS projects took this sort of constructive attitude with it.

Back
Top Bottom