Summoner released on GoG.

It was actually a very good game. Unfortunately, Summoner 2 was only released for consoles!!

I played it through, but found it tedious towards the end. Some nice plot ideas, though.

That game was fun.
And I lost it, wanted to replay it couple of years ago but couldn't find it anywhere.
Thanks to GOG, I will be replaying it soon. :D

But I do remember two things I didn't like. One was collecting some statue parts, can't remember what exact problem was with those now, probably those objects were barely visible and while such stuff works in adventures with static backgrounds, you can't put pixelhunting in RPG. Another thing was some desert where you had to walk over and over again and deal with endless random encounters just to get a certain encounter needed for something, I can't remember what was that something, but I do remember being frustrated getting all other grindy encounters just not the one I need.

Summoner 2 was console only title as Corwin already said so I dunno was it fun or not. But because of the decision to put it only on consoles, it won't be available on GOG which means they don't get more sales and more cash today. Their choice, their problem, their loss.
And when something is a console exclusive, sorry but I can only quote Corwin and say that it's most probably:
RUBBISH!!

Last edited:
Random encounters - yes, this game had many of them.

First half of the game, you mainly have random encounters in 3 different areas. Forest, Plains and Mountianous, in each case you need to stand/wander in that specific area. The easiest way to make this bearable is save while at the bridge in the main city. Then zone, go to the area you need like the Forest (hilly area, not on mountain) if you don't get the correct layout, i.e. Forest Day with Imps, then reload try again. This way you don't waste anytime with random nonsense. Here's the first half of the game…

Medeva:
(Before Orenia)

————————————————————————————————————
Grassland-Day
Enemies: Brown Bacite x13
Green Bacite x11
Grassland-Day
Enemies: Lord Korel
*Note - This is part of "The Sword of Jarl" quest*
Grassland-Day
Enemies: Zane
Bandit x5
*Note - This is part of the "Ragneli's Robbers" quest*
Grassland-Night
Enemies: Bone Knight x12
Bone Mage x7
Bone Servant x9
Grassland-Night
Enemies: Orenian Mage x7
Orenian Soldier x12
NPCs: Elite Guards
Medevan Knights
Items: Archer's Medallion
Forest-Day
Enemies: Barbarian Fighter x2
Orenian Archer x4
Orenian Mage x8
Orenian Soldier x11
Forest-Night
Enemies: Bone Servant x28
Fire Imp x16
Items: Torva's Lute
Hills-Day
Enemies: Fire Salamanka x1
Brass Golem x4
Broken Brass Golem x5
Iron Golem x3
Hills-Day
NPCs: Khosani Warrior
*Note - This Encounter is required in order to enter the City of the
Khosani*
Hills-Night
Enemies: Fire Imp x7
Red Oni x3
Red Rokhul x4
So in this example if you get the random Grassland Day, only seeing Bacites or Hills Night with Imp, Oni and Rokhul, reload. It's much nicer, cuts down the play time to about 15 hours instead of 20 plus from all the random useless levels and walking.

The (secret?) quest/objective of getting all the Summoner gear is the hardest, mostly in the second half of the game. Iirc, it's mostly on random maps, so I can post the second half maps if anyone wants, since some you can't go back to once you leave Onaria(sp?).

The IP got sold to Nordic Games, if I remember correctly, and they considered it a 'valuable IP'. Though whether that will ever result in a new Summoner game...

Summoner I (and II) were a bit unusual in that, beneath an extremely generic surface (Medeva = Medieval Europe, Orenia = the Orient aka China / Japan), it was fairly fresh and creative. II went even further into that direction, but lack of commercial success meant the end of the franchise.

Then again, as RPG's they were flawed (opponent AI, ugh...), and the visuals were, from a technical perspective (and sometimes design-wise as well) pretty ho-hum. But man, do I wish Volition had stayed in the CRPG game (same with Freespace and the space combat sim, sniff :'()

Anyway, I will certainly pick this one up. I somehow lost my original copy of the game.

I think I have an original Mac Box still unopened, lol, sort of steam before steam. :)

I liked the plot
quite a lot.
The gameplay as such
not that much.

;)

Back
Top Bottom