Elder Scrolls Online preview

I liked the trailer - even if it's the usual heavy on action - light on content stuff. The faces were particularly impressive.

AFAIK, it's a pretty traditional themepark with the emphasis on combat as per usual.

Nothing about it sounds particularly intriguing and I wouldn't expect a TES experience, though there's always a chance of being surprised.

That said, the PvP implementation sounds pretty good - but there's no doubt ArcheAge is the MMO I'll be following until release.

Didn't see any of these videos until today. This game looks a lot more action-oriented than the main series, and I noticed all the footage shows gameplay from a 3rd-person viewpoint. Is there no first-person view?

First-person will be in the game on release. It apparently was in when some people from the press had a few hours with the game back in October, but few of them used it (or knew how to use it).

Pretty cinematics - but what is the context? Was that all three factions attacking the same (neutral) structure?

Pretty cinematics - but what is the context? Was that all three factions attacking the same (neutral) structure?

The structure is an Imperial Fort in probably what is the Pale Pass from the view of the Imperial city that we see and yes it was all 3 factions trying to get in at the same time (more to see the 3 way PvP than anything else).

I assume Imperial is a 4th, non-joinable faction? The others being Aldmeri, Daggerfall and Ebonheart.

3-way PvP is a big deal if you're into mass PvP - which I tend not to be. Usually, it's nothing but a zerg fest where individual skill is all but irrelevant or just goes unnoticed. Well, except for the ability to lead a group and the ability to follow orders - the latter being about anything but skill.

The reason 3-way PvP is a big deal is that it's helpful for population balance - as two factions almost invariably end up being imbalanced.

That said, I think 3-way PvP increases the chaos factor and often it's more or less random who wins in a 3-way setup.

Conclusively, I think it's an overrated feature - but it's definitely what that video is all about.

I noticed all the footage shows gameplay from a 3rd-person viewpoint. Is there no first-person view?

Supposedly you will be able to use first person view as well, but they are still working on the models for the player hands, etc.

3-way PvP is a big deal if you're into mass PvP - which I tend not to be. Usually, it's nothing but a zerg fest where individual skill is all but irrelevant or just goes unnoticed. Well, except for the ability to lead a group and the ability to follow orders - the latter being about anything but skill.

The reason 3-way PvP is a big deal is that it's helpful for population balance - as two factions almost invariably end up being imbalanced.

That said, I think 3-way PvP increases the chaos factor and often it's more or less random who wins in a 3-way setup.

Conclusively, I think it's an overrated feature - but it's definitely what that video is all about.

Heh, if I can't even figure it out in a video, I can only imagine how confusing it must be in game.
Of course I haven't ever really played an MMORPG, so I don't really know anything about how stuff like that play out.
However if all that climbing/grappling in the video has an actual basis in gameplay it makes me hopeful that climbing may also return to the single player series, and that is definitely on my wishlist.

Heh, if I can't even figure it out in a video, I can only imagine how confusing it must be in game.
Of course I haven't ever really played an MMORPG, so I don't really know anything about how stuff like that play out.
However if all that climbing/grappling in the video has an actual basis in gameplay it makes me hopeful that climbing may also return to the single player series, and that is definitely on my wishlist.

I'm almost positive you can rule out climbing - at least not like you're seeing in the video.

It's just a trailer like all game trailers. Apart from the introduction of the three factions, I doubt you can draw any conclusions about the gameplay from it - except that you will be fighting a lot.

That said, some MMOs have primitive climbing - most notably Age of Conan and EverQuest 2 - both of which advertised it as something special. It was a minor thing with "hotspot" climbing - but it was better than nothing, I suppose.

I'm almost positive you can rule out climbing - at least not like you're seeing in the video.

Devs talked about wanting climbing in for all classes, doesn't mean it will make it.

Yeah I know to take trailers with a half pound of salt, but it was such a very prominent element of the trailer, that it makes me wonder. Whatever, we will know soon enough.

I wonder about climbing and the deploying of rope bridges. Also, acrobatics. I think those things have a shot of being in the final game.

Patiently looking forward to more info...

I signed up for the beta, but I doubt I'll get in. I am working with a 4 year old laptop and integrated video card, lol. But, if they decide they want to test that demographic of people with older laptops, then I guess I have a chance.

If I do get in I'll be sure to report about the game here, if we're allowed to do that.

I signed up also, even though I've never played an MMO; unless Minions of Mirth counts.

New press previews dump today!

Tamriel Foundry have a compilation of most of them.

There are also some new gameplay in the buffed.de video interviews. Video 1 and 2.

They changed quite a bit of stuff since October (the last hands-on previewers)...

Back
Top Bottom