Might & Magic X - Review @ MMGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
MMGN reviews Might & Magic X: Legacy, and awards the game with a score of 7.10.

Might & Magic X: Legacy is not for everyone. It’s combat-heavy and story-light, and can be a bit rough around the edges, making it so dissimilar to popular RPGs of today that the modern gamer might be completely disillusioned playing it. However, through the good and the bad, Might & Magic X: Legacy is an excellent modern rendition of a genre lost to age and time, and will douse you with heavy amounts of nostalgia.
More information.

In pros he forgot to add riddles and puzzles, in cons he forgot to put an irritating music score.

Speaking of music, what's with the random music that happens [very] rarely? Happens infrequently enough that it makes you question your sanity, but it's definitely there.

Yeah, in the Castle early on there is music that sounded like 2 tracks overlaying each other. Was loading my shotgun to kill myself, but decided to shut down the game instead.

Yeah, in the Castle early on there is music that sounded like 2 tracks overlaying each other. Was loading my shotgun to kill myself, but decided to shut down the game instead.

It doesn't just sound like it was two tracks there were two tracks, and I am absolutely sure that this is a bug.

Appears in certain dungeons. After you entered one of these dungeons you always have two overlapping tracks afterwards. Can be two different tracks (Combat+gloomy in cave music, Combat+Outside Music) and it gets even more insane when its two times the combat music.

So, any news about them patching this game a bit.?

Seems to have its fair share of issues (although nothing gamebreaking from what I gather). Until then Blackguards will be keeping me company methinks...

Encountered my fair share ^^
Also regarding the German version: Items without tooltipps, cut off texts in riddles, in a treasure hunt it reads "go 20 steps" instead of "go 12 steps"...
The only news I found for the patch was in the AMA on Reddit 9 days ago:
Is there any ETA on next patch?
We do not have a 100% reliable ETA yet but we are talking about weeks and definitly not months.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1w1eg8/

Well, thats better than hearing nothing from them I guess. Thanks.

Say what you want, this is a damn addicting game. I didn't think I had it in me anymore to pull multiple consecutive nights playing to the morning hours, but the constant continuous character progression is like crack to me. Just one more path up ahead to explore...

Say what you want, this is a damn addicting game. I didn't think I had it in me anymore to pull multiple consecutive nights playing to the morning hours, but the constant continuous character progression is like crack to me. Just one more path up ahead to explore…

+1

I'm playing this game like mad on Warrior level, interesting difficult dungeons, challenging fights, meaningful character development, good strategy needed for boss fights, excellent puzzles and riddles +++

two thumps up!

It is addictive definetly after Act 1 and that's why I've put 8/10 in our "last game finished" thread. Couldn't put more because of annoyances, and by that I don't mean bugs which are very rare (3 crashes in cca 50 hours, a few battles stuck, questitems reappearing in the inventory, etc some stuff that'll probably get polished in the next patch) but some design choices I can't forgive just like that and that includes the whole act 1 which is compared to the rest of the game, not so good.

I'll agree with Hidden partially about boss fights, commonly you can beat those with just rings of freeblemind and paralyze immunity, but then you stumble upon crystal spider boss capable of killing your whole party with two AoE ranged shots no matter what resistances and armor you have, where you have to "strategize" differently.
But will completely agree that all puzzles/riddles are excellent except one riddle with a solution that I've never heard of such word (I couldn't crack just that one so I googled) and the "puzzle" on lighthouse top which was an utter crap.

Yep, have to agree, it’s a great game and it's addictive. :)
My biggest complaints are also about weird game mechanics, like class balance and that characters don’t get xp when they are stunned.
But when you know of these I think you can manage with it and work around or with them. (just don’t take ranged classes or tanks for example).

The riddles are excellent. I said before that Grimrock is inferior except of the riddles. But I have to correct myself there. Imho Might & Magic Legacy is at least on par with them. Granted, there are a few riddles where you need to type an answer which doesn’t fit the same “scheme” as the “normal” ones. As the one you mentioned, Joxer. I won’t spoil the answer here, but I don’t have to to describe where the problem is: Normally you can guess the answer like (the fictional) question “People want to sit on me but though I got four legs but I cannot walk away”, and at one point you find the answer “a Chair!”
Now in about 2 riddles like the one mentioned, you need a particular word you find in another place of the world. In this case a person in Karthal mentions it in a text which is in almost all other cases just “flavour”.

Why didn’t you like the lighthouse riddle? I think it was quite nice. A very easy puzzle to start. Maybe too easy, especially compared to the first one you find in the mystic catacombs which I solved just by running randomly through the room like I already did in the Early Access. ^^
For the puzzles in the game world they are using very different difficulties though. I liked the puzzle for the air part of the forge, but I thought like “I really like puzzles, but how the hell should an “average player” solve that, well…the average player probably just looks up the solution. ^^
Only had to look up the solution for 3 of the word-puzzles (including the one you mentioned) and as I am no genius either I think they are quite doable. And for those who wonder: There are about 15 plate/lever puzzles and 15 “type word” puzzles (excluding the locations-quest) in the game. Doesn’t sound a lot, but I think it’s quite a few.

I'm not complaining about solution-was-mentioned-already-in-the-game riddles like
archangel's name or combining first or last letter from the three pillars based on the text, those are solvable things especially the first one is nobrainer if you played HoMM6 where you have just two possibilities, Uriel or… Well, not gonna say it now. :)

But couldn't crack this riddle:
History is told, forgotten, and can be told again.
What is put on parchment never remains unchanged.
Always truth can be washed away and rewritten, but the spectre of past worlds seldom completely fades.
Hats off if you solve it before you read it's solution in some chatty later in the game. If you're not playing the game yet, just so you know, as in other riddles the answer is just one word. I knew that and it still didn't help me.

And the easyness of that lighthouse puzzle is what I hated. It can be solved in a minute by just random moving around. Sure, others can also be solved by random moving, but definetly not in 1 minute!
And I did post how excited I was solving that first mystic tomb puzzle. Now that one was a real puzzle, not just let's put some sort of a puzzle here since we're bored!
Air puzzle is very tough, it's IMO the hardest one in elemental forge. But is also the most satisfying one when you solve it. The water puzzle on the other hand is possibly the lamest puzzle in the whole game - I practically stumbled upon a solution just by clicking right and left lever trying to find out what happens and I still dunno what solved it.

Average players… I'm pretty sure no average player bought this game. Yet. And they knew it'll happen. So, why not make nonaverage player happy? And they did that. Sadly it won't sell like Diablo clones will. Yet I'm buying M&M11, preordering when possible, but Diablo clones, sorry, can't imagine even trying one of those again.

Last edited:
Say what you want, this is a damn addicting game. I didn't think I had it in me anymore to pull multiple consecutive nights playing to the morning hours, but the constant continuous character progression is like crack to me. Just one more path up ahead to explore…

+2 potion of Nerd Rage.
I laugh at all the criticism. There should be a score called "RPGWatch basic rage index". Because this game has less rage than just about any I see from the folks on this forum. Mosts post are some form of "It has its issues blah blah it is addicting, and I am having fun."
For me it is making me have those late night "Lands of Lore" moments I had when my family and I just played and played having fun until the end.

I just finished it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It has some balance, progression and itemization issues but the exploration and character development was an absolute blast.

Maybe I'm not very good at puzzles or riddles but they were a bit of a pain for me. I don't mind a puzzle or riddle here or there as long as I can solve them in a minute or two, but I'll admit to giving up and googling quite a few of them.

IMO, the last dungeon drug on about 3 levels more than it needed to and the very last level was just an endless slog that I did not enjoy. It would have helped if I didn't have to stop every couple of fights to destroy all the non-magical items constantly filling up my backpack.

I only crashed to desktop once but I did have the dreaded can't start chapter 2 bug that I was able to edit the xml files to fix.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is I'm looking forward to restarting another game tonight with a different party.

Same, I won on Sunday on normal and now I will play on hard. Will try a different party but I did love the blade dancer, paladin, rune priest, and free mage combo.

Finished yesterday on Warrior with Bladedancer, Crusader, Rune Priest and Barbarian. Did all quests and took around 60 hours. But I already invested several hours before release with theorycrafting which is a fun thing to do in this game.
But that's maybe also why it became absurdly easy at one point in the game. Only used the first 3 tiers of mana potions, first 2 tiers of HP potions and finished with 400k Gold.
While I could start over and try to "gimp" myself by taking a worse group I don't really see the appeal of that. ^^
I mean it was fun playing the game but I don't see much of replay value.
I am also not so sure about possible DLCs. The party is already that overpowered and maxed out with everything useful in terms of skills in the end, that it's hard to add anything interesting. If you ask me they should not work on any DLCs but start doing M&M XI ^^
BTW: my party was level 34 in the end. But there is an uplay Achievement for reaching the endgame having reached lvl 40 with everyone. I guess that is a relict of the past? What was your final level?

I was lvl 34 also. I did most areas but there was one orc dungeon I could not get into. Did not have any orcs in party so not sure if that was needed. I was only on normal lvl but my party was just smashing things towards the end and it was a bit too easy. But I did make a power party and did research also on what skills to get to grandmaster first. Blade Dancer was just doing crazy damage with the relic sword from the obilisks.

Though my free mage would get one shot every once in awhile. She was the only one that died in the last act.

Back
Top Bottom