Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

And wtf is wng with so called hardcore gamers. All they y at anniuncements like this is "I never asked for this." And they neve say that stuff for crappy 3ds and vita stuff:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=577181

Ita funny how you people claim to be "objective" wh it comes to the platform yet jusge games berore theyre even releases. Compare those domments to the ones on the toucharcade announcement above.

Not sure who "you people" are, but I have no problem admitting I can't be objective when it comes to pc gaming. PC has been my #1 gaming platform for a good chunk of my adult life and I definitely have a bias.

Having said that though the gap between pc gaming and ipad gaming is so great right now there's nothing to be objective about really. I've yet to see anything on ipad that's even givin me pause to think about. For example Warhammer quest is the best ipad game I've played to date and it wouldn't earn any time on my pc with my current backlog.

Take into account though pc gaming experiences differ. PC gaming for me is in a dedicated room on an 85" projector screen, 7.2 surround sound and a pc that will run anything out there and then some. I'm sorry an ipad can't compete with that and weren't really made to. The are made more for content delivery.

Now if apple ever got serious about gaming and released a controller and K&M and an easy way to connect to your tv or monitor I think they could do some damage.

That's my opinion anyway. From a bias pc gamer.

If you do a lot of travel, particularly tight space plane flights, there is nothing better and more similar to pc gaming than an iPad with a 10 hour battery life to boot. Try gaming on a flight with a trackpad on a fat laptop and compare it to the iPad. Trust me.

Also the esperince is much more perso al. Iremember I was following the threat on TouchAcade on Aralon when it was being made and someone rally wanted to play it or anelder scolls game on iPhone and not even iPad. He claimed that lying down at night in his bed with the headphones on is a very personal and captivating experience. Like I said TA forums are a different breed of gamers. To them the controls arent the point or how complex a game is but the overall experience. They just look at things differently than tou guys do. Personally, conplexity is the reason I dont touch neverwinter nights 2 or most PC games. It takes too long to relearn the mechanics just for an hour playthough every other week or so. Ive had the same problem with Homeworld. Great games but the mechanics are too cumbersome. Same with total wa i just want to playnotgo through tutorials.

By the way, no frnchise is safe from iOS so embrace it or be left in thedusk. We are living in a post PC world, and your just a pawn in this world that master Steve ajobs crated for humanity to live in.

I don't personally see anything revolutionary about Half Life - because System Shock was there in all the important ways, doing it better years before.

The fact that it was a pure shooter as opposed to a cerebral shooter - makes zero difference in terms of it not innovating much at all.

Unless, of course, you consider doing something in an inferior way in a genre that's more dedicated to be a revolution. That's not something I can agree with.

But, as GBG said, it did do some neat technical things - but I'd have to say Unreal and Quake both were quantum leaps ahead - when you take time of release into account.

Half Life was more about taking an existing engine and doing some magic tricks with it - where as Unreal and Quake were complete engines that both represented true technological revolutions.

Unreal and Quake were quantum leaps ahead of Half-Life? If you say so. :)

If we were talking only from a technical perspective, then yeah, those games were the first to be created with their respective graphics engines.

In terms of overall impact, I'd say they were all very close. In terms of the single player experience, I think Half-Life destroyed them.

As I recall, several reviews mentioned how clumsy and awkward it was in terms of controls - and how Doom 2 was so much smoother and prettier.

Maybe that's not being bashed - but that's how I perceived it.

I can appreciate the controls being a mouthful for a pure shooter fan - but if they'd bothered to look beyond them - they'd have found something quite unique and powerful.

I don't have a problem with reviewers saying those things as they're not necessarily untrue. It's easy to understand how the majority would see Doom II as being "smoother and prettier". Doom II did have a certain kind of flow that SS lacked in regards to movement. It was also released before the CD version of SS, and iirc the original release of SS was limited to 320x200 resolution.

So yeah, Doom II did have certain advantages even if the game itself was much smaller in scope and ambition. Those advantages may have been superficial to gamers like us, but I can see why critics would mention them.

If you do a lot of travel, particularly tight space plane flights, there is nothing better and more similar to pc gaming than an iPad with a 10 hour battery life to boot. Try gaming on a flight with a trackpad on a fat laptop and compare it to the iPad. Trust me.

I wouldn't doubt that but then your more competing with a window 8 pro tablet or even hybrid tablet/laptop.

I don't own a windows 8 tablet so I can't say how it'd stack up against the ipad but being able to play my library of games I already own would be a plus.

Also the esperince is much more perso al. Iremember I was following the threat on TouchAcade on Aralon when it was being made and someone rally wanted to play it or anelder scolls game on iPhone and not even iPad. He claimed that lying down at night in his bed with the headphones on is a very personal and captivating experience. Like I said TA forums are a different breed of gamers.

A different breed indeed.

To them the controls arent the point or how complex a game is but the overall experience.

Wouldn't controls and complexity be part of the overall experience?

They just look at things differently than tou guys do.

Careful, you might not want to speak for how an entire forum of people looks at things.

Personally, conplexity is the reason I dont touch neverwinter nights 2 or most PC games. It takes too long to relearn the mechanics just for an hour playthough every other week or so. Ive had the same problem with Homeworld. Great games but the mechanics are too cumbersome. Same with total wa i just want to playnotgo through tutorials.

I embrace the complexity of games which is one reason I favor PC. As far as relearning mechanics, I can understand that and that's one reason I don't stray to far from my trusty K&M when gaming. I don't see the reason to learn new control mechanics when the content it controls is still inferior to the content I can currently play. Pc ports don't cut it either if I'm going to learn new mechanics then it need to provide a superior gaming experience. I haven't found that yet.

It almost seemed like we were having a normal exchange.

By the way, no frnchise is safe from iOS so embrace it or be left in thedusk. We are living in a post PC world, and your just a pawn in this world that master Steve ajobs crated for humanity to live in.

Almost……:roll:

I neeever aaasked for this:
JENSEN_zps93af2a17.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpuRIZzJog
http://vimeo.com/28312344
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8zV2qsC7LM

lol at the comments here below announcement:
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Announced

If were talking only from a technical perspective, then yeah, those games were the first to be created with their respective graphics engines.

I specifically mentioned that it was technical :)
In terms of overall impact, I'd say they were all very close. In terms of the single player experience, I think Half-Life destroyed them.

I think Unreal was fantastic considering time of release and the sheer visual impact - which made for some truly wonderous exploration.

Also, some of the levels were simply awe-inspiring - like Sunspire.

But I agree that Half Life was overall a better and much tighter shooter. The opening tram ride still stands as one of those special moments in gaming. But I have to be honest and say that Unreal left a much more powerful mark on me. The moment where you step out of that crashed spaceship and the music starts - that was just magical to me, at the time.

Quake was boring to me in singleplayer - and I think I only completed the shareware levels.

I don't think Half Life "destroys" any of them - but we can agree that it was just a more focused shooter which seemed more like a game and less like an engine demonstration.

I don't have a problem with reviewers saying those things as they're not necessarily untrue. It's easy to understand how the majority would see Doom II as being "smoother and prettier". Doom II did have a certain kind of flow that SS lacked in regards to movement. It was also released before the CD version of SS, and iirc the original release of SS was limited to 320x200 resolution.

Both games had the same low resolution and high resolution System Shock was completely unplayable even on the most powerful rigs (I had the most powerful "home" PC possible at the time - pretty much). But the CD version had full voice-overs which made for a huge difference.

Oh, I have no problem with them speaking the truth - just as long as they get the whole truth out there. That they didn't is my problem.

If you focus on the negative truths and ignore the positive ones - then your review sucks balls.

Well, as I see it.

But it's not like I don't understand why - and it's not exactly a shock (no pun intended) - that critics didn't know what they were playing. It looked like a shooter much like Doom - and it came out within a few weeks (IIRC) of Doom 2. It had a similar sci-fi atmosphere.

It's only natural that inexperienced people would review it as just another shooter. To be fair, it was something unlike anything else. It mostly resembled a cross between Doom and Ultima Underworld - and I can appreciate why the average gamer or critic wouldn't expect or even like the last half of that equation.

So yeah, Doom II did have certain advantages even if the game itself was much smaller in scope and ambition. Those advantages may have been superficial to gamers like us, but I can see why critics would mention them.

I agree, it's no mystery that critics are ignorant.

I just don't like it when it hurts developers like Looking Glass.

But that's my own problem, so there ;)

Last edited:
When I think about it, I did enjoy the single-player campaign in Unreal quite a bit. It wasn't on the same level as Half-Life, but it was pretty good, especially for how little effort was put into the story.

I still remember emerging from the crashed ship for the first time and seeing the waterfall, etc. and being blown away by the environment. It's a shame the plot wasn't on par with the level design.

Unreal 2 wasn't bad either, although it wasn't as impressive as the first game was for its time.

Quake on the other hand was simply mediocre. It may have been a landmark title in terms of technology and its impact on multiplayer gaming, but the single-player campaign was nothing but random levels strung together with a nonexistent plot.

Both games had the same low resolution and high resolution System Shock was completely unplayable even on the most powerful rigs (I had the most powerful "home" PC possible at the time - pretty much). But the CD version had full voice-overs which made for a huge difference.

Well I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the CD version, which wasn't released until the end of that year, also added higher resolutions which weren't present in the original floppy disk version.

Well I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the CD version, which wasn't released until the end of that year, also added higher resolutions which weren't present in the original floppy disk version.

You could well be right :)

I don't remember when it was added - though it doesn't take up extra space.

I'm just saying that high resolution was all but unplayable and that Doom 2 had 320x200 as well.

The reason Doom 2 looked better was because it wasn't "true 3D". The engine used some clever trickery to simulate 3D - which meant their textures could have more detail or whatever.

Not clear on the details anymore - but I definitely agree with critics that Doom 2 was a prettier and smoother game.

And that's because final fantasy was always the core of pc gaming.

I just thought it was relevant being an rpg series and all. Nothing is safe from iOS anymore including metal gear imo.

I just thought it was relevant being an rpg series and all. Nothing is safe from iOS anymore including metal gear imo.

And I'm sure that when Dragon Quest IX came out for the DS exclusively you were one of the folks declaring that was the beginning of the end for consoles as exclusives moved to the DS first!

Ah, Metal Gear, another staple of pc gaming. PC gaming is in serious trouble!

What next? Mario games? God of War? If the day comes when a Mario game is released on ios I will just throw my useless pc away to make space for my 'arrival of the new age' ritual dance.

I guess you will have to play it as a stealth game now which is nice because thats the real way these games were always meant to be played and enjoyed:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Deus+Ex:+The+Fall/news.asp?c=51413

"The controls work surprisingly well, and give you complete access to all your strategic options at all times. I was able to sneak up on goons, score headshots, and evade capture with ease. If you play Deus Ex as a stealth game, you'll find the controls to be perfectly capable.

They, of course, fall apart when you get rumbled and the game transforms into a full-on shooter. It's serviceable, but suffers from the same problems as any attempt to graft an FPS onto a pane of touch-sensitive glass."

I guess you will have to play it as a stealth game now which is nice because thats the real way these games were always meant to be played and enjoyed:
The way Deus Ex was always meant to be played is 'any way you feel like'. Forcing you to play a certain way due to inevitable subpar controls means that this game won't do what Deus Ex does best because the platform can't handle it and that doesn't show its capabilities but its severe limitations. As much as I like playing on the ipad (which is more than on the pc lately) it would be a delusion not to realize that there are only some few types of games that work really well on it, while there are extremely few that don't work perfectly on the pc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom