Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
You can throw your money at the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera now. They are asking for $900K and have already collected a third of that.
Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG setting, Numenera. Torment continues the thematic legacy of Planescape: Torment, a critically acclaimed role-playing game from 1999 that's considered by many to be a hallmark for storytelling in computer RPGs. With Torment, we're striving to create a rich role-playing experience that explores similar deep, personal themes. Here's the scoop:

• Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
  • You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
  • The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
  • The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
  • The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
  • The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)
More information.

Dang! They are almost half way already!

lol, they are going to reach their goal in one day I think...

Well, got one of the last few $95 rewards. But, call me crazy, I'm not all that intrigued by the pitch video... inhabiting other people and gaining various suites of abilities? :(

Funny how they don't say "turn-based" or "real time with pause" anywhere in their pitch. I imagine it will be the latter, but it's a significant distinction to RPG fans.

Funny how they don't say "turn-based" or "real time with pause" anywhere in their pitch. I imagine it will be the latter, but it's a significant distinction to RPG fans.

Yeah I'd like to know myself though I already kicked in here, but at this rate I'd advise them to say nothing till this is over lol.

Backers reached 10, 000. Guess no need to spread words?

They are still thinking since it seems to be still quite important for some people.

Didn't bother to watch the video. The write-up was good enough for me to pledge.

This is purely hypothetical question since this will be fully funded in a few hours.

Hey Brother None, Chris Taylor claimed that Project Eternity and the other big kickstarters were actually looking for $3 Million dollars, and only asked for 1 to have a better chance of getting it. If Torment only reached the $1 million goal, would InExile have to lay people off since it wasn't enough money?

Since it's clear they are going past that, it won't be an issue, but I'm curious.

I wonder how much customization choice you'll get with your "single, specific character"?

This is purely hypothetical question since this will be fully funded in a few hours.

Hey Brother None, Chris Taylor claimed that Project Eternity and the other big kickstarters were actually looking for $3 Million dollars, and only asked for 1 to have a better chance of getting it. If Torment only reached the $1 million goal, would InExile have to lay people off since it wasn't enough money?

Since it's clear they are going past that, it won't be an issue, but I'm curious.

Maybe they'd have to get some of their funding from other sources. Success does tend to be reinforcing - people only really want to give you money if you don't need it.

Everything Brian has said this last year has indicated he'd hate to do that but yeah, you'd have to think so. I'm sure they'd do their best to retain them if at all possible but $900k simply can't pay for as many people as $3m can. The reality is without publisher money backing them inXile depends on community kickstarter support on each and every project to stay in business. He's put a tremendous amount of trust in us and that's why I'm happy to put my trust in him.

However, I guarantee you they have a plan for every amount between $900k and $3m or more to produce the best game they can. There's no way Fargo would betray the trust of his kickstarter backers and not make the best of whatever amount he raised.

It's a significant distinction, sure, but I enjoy both and it would make zero impact on my pledge. Now, if they called it an "action-RPG," THEN I'd be a bit more hesitant. I like many action RPGs, too, but that's a style and emphasis that I feel is detrimental to the theme.

They said practically nothing about gameplay except that is based on Numenara's rule set.It didn't stop me from pledging since l am more interested in story here but I do hope they say (lot) more about game itself.I am generally unfamiliar with Numenera but form what I read rule set and setting do seem intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom